Sucker Punched!!

Options
So this morning I was so happy, I got up and weighted myself, I was down 15 pounds since I started this change in my life. Did my measurements and I have lost 8 1/2 inches in 2 weeks. I was feeling awesome. Then a member of my family came over and made a remark about me being overweight and how it must be really hard for me to drive a vehicle. Now mind you I have being driving for years and have no problem, except when I get in his vehicle that the seat is 2" away from the steering wheel. I just wanted to punch him and make him feel the way he made me.

Now my question is how would you have handled this situation, I was so upset I couldn't even say a word, but the things in my head weren't good.

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I am sorry this happened. I do not understand why people can be so horrible to each other.
    I probably would have said "What an incredibly rude and demeaning thing to say to me, why would you? What are you hoping to accomplish? I was feeling pretty good about myself and the only purpose this serves is to hurt me. Thanks a lot".

I actually said this very thing to my own mother. She cried, apologized, hugged me and never commented on my weight again.

:flowerforyou:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    "I may be fat, but at least my feet can touch the pedals."
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    "I may be fat, but at least my feet can touch the pedals."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A family member? I am not known for being as tactful as I could be and probably would have suggested that he do something anatomically impossible.
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My mum is like this. She doesn't mean to be but she can through tactlessness say some things that could be hurtful if I took them that way (who on earth tells their daughter they look better with make up on for goodness sake!!). I know she doesn't mean to hurt me so I just ignore it or laugh at her.

It would probably be good to say something, if only to ask this person to shut up about your weight, but it sounds like this person's opinion, in the moment, was more important to you than your own sense of pride in what you had actually achieved, which you have every reason to be proud of - well done! And if the opinion of someone ignorant is more important than your own evidence of hard work and achievement then maybe it's time to look at your self esteem? Maybe this person was telling you something useful, as well as saying something hurtful.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It is just a matter of someone being tactless, he was probably, in his mind, just stating a fact and thinking you might find some things difficult, as in the end, many overweight people do have challenges to do certain things. I doubt he had any intention of being insulting and set out to hurt your feelings. You know you are overweight, so what he said is not anything that is news to you, if you see you are overweight, so will everyone else, and yes, some might be open about it, assuming you are aware of it yourself.