Can you keep it off? scary article

Options
(from Shannon Chamberlain) ~~ I Once Was Obese
And now I’m not. Please don’t applaud me for losing the weight.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2012/11/from_obese_to_chubby_how_i_lost_the_weight_and_why_you_shouldn_t_admire.html

Replies

• Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Link incomplete
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    ): What a story...
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    It's a good article. Thanks for the link.
  • fraser112
    Options
    Eating 800 calories a day and burning up about 400 of them on the treadmill at lunch doesn’t leave you with much will to resi

no wonder they canny loose weight doing something as stupid as this. People are weak, long term weight loss is simple eat what your body needs. You will need to do it for the rest of your life once you drop the weight.
    that's the reality and why people fail.
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I feel depressed after reading that.

I lost 65 pounds and regained it all. I feel more positive about keeping it off this time though...maybe I'm naive? I'm not following a VLCD, I'm working out, eating back some of my calories...I'm trying to change my life.

I'm emailing that to a friend. Thanks for the link.
  • fraser112
    Options
    I feel depressed after reading that.

I lost 65 pounds and regained it all. I feel more positive about keeping it off this time though...maybe I'm naive? I'm not following a VLCD, I'm working out, eating back some of my calories...I'm trying to change my life.

I'm emailing that to a friend. Thanks for the link.

If you want to keep it off you will. But your body is fighting against you to regain it. Its hard but that's good its just evolution at work only the strong get the good stuff.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    That article is just proof to me that in the long term, starving your body just won't work... even the current 1500 cals (with 90 mins of exercise) isn't working because she's just not eating enough for her body.

She's still got the diet mentality instead of the lifestyle.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I have gained and re-lost 60-70 pounds every 2-5 years since high school and I'm almost 40.:cry: That's why I'm not really focusing on the losing now so much as how to build a healthy, sustainable life style (and also how to get over the addiction to the compliments you get when you lose). It sure is a battle and I wish everyone on this site many blessings in their journey.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    P.S. That article she links to in the New York Times is really interesting as well (link inside of this article).
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    The writer of the article seems rather bitter and b*tchy and assumes that everyone (including medical professionals) "hates fat people." Even in the end, she's eating way too little and she hates it and is willing to make herself miserable forever? WTF? This article sucks.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    The writer of the article seems rather bitter and b*tchy and assumes that everyone (including medical professionals) "hates fat people." Even in the end, she's eating way too little and she hates it and is willing to make herself miserable forever? WTF? This article sucks.

exactly.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    That article is just proof to me that in the long term, starving your body just won't work... even the current 1500 cals (with 90 mins of exercise) isn't working because she's just not eating enough for her body.

She's still got the diet mentality instead of the lifestyle.

This....It's not easy, but if I can keep 60lbs off for four years and still do it during a crazy hormone invested period that might go on for the next ten years, so can anybody....I exercise 4-5 times a week for 30-40 minutes and eat 1700-1900 cals a day - and maintain on that.... It's NOT impossible....
  • beverley_f
    Options
    I don't think it's impossible but for me it's not working. I eat anywhere from 600 to 1800 calories a day (sometimes more, at weekends, sometimes less) and exercise 7 days a week, 45 minutes minimum, 2 hours max and do not lose weight. I gain muscle but barely lose fat. You would think I was tiny now, but I'm 5'5.5, 127lb's and 21.2% bf. I can't lose weight and if I eat more or exercise less I gain. It's horrible :/ I hope no one else gets stuck in this rut.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to become an endurance athlete to help me in my quest for lifelong fitness. I want to run long distances very regularly. I currently run 5 days a week and it has helped me a lot.
  • m23gm25
    m23gm25 Posts: 157
    Options
    5'5.5" tall at 127lbs. and you still want to lose more weight???!!! I would take your "rut" any day!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    That actually wasn't scary at all. It was a pathetic victim-mentality article written by someone who never bothered to change her THINKING.
  • fraser112
    Options
    do you have a reason for this because

below 1500 cals you need almost or protein or your shooting yourself in the foot.
    If your exercising cardio at low calories below 1000 your doing it wrong.

These people claim this and that.

I did X and it does not work oh i tried every fad diet and each time then went back to over eating and gained it back. The problem stems from 95% of people not researching what is going on and why they are eating x instead of y.
  • BrownEyedGrrl
    Options
    I don't think it's impossible but for me it's not working. I eat anywhere from 600 to 1800 calories a day (sometimes more, at weekends, sometimes less) and exercise 7 days a week, 45 minutes minimum, 2 hours max and do not lose weight. I gain muscle but barely lose fat. You would think I was tiny now, but I'm 5'5.5, 127lb's and 21.2% bf. I can't lose weight and if I eat more or exercise less I gain. It's horrible :/ I hope no one else gets stuck in this rut.

I'm confused. You are at a healthy weight for your size, actually on the lower end of the healthy weight and bf stats. Are you going for the model/Hollywood skinny look?!?
    Btw, you look really good in your pic!
  • fraser112
    Options
    That actually wasn't scary at all. It was a pathetic victim-mentality article written by someone who never bothered to change her THINKING.

:love: