The sugar habit

Options
So my lack of self-control when it comes to sugar is really affecting my attempts to lose weight, and my wellbeing in general.

Since starting on MFP in August this year I've lost nearly a stone and am really pleased - but most of this came off in the first month or two and since then the binge habit has been slowly creeping back. Hence I've stayed the same for a while, as I've been yo-yoing between 1400 cals a day normally, or 2000-4000 if I've been binging. This last month has definitely been worse, and I'm concerned that if I don't do something about it then all my good work will have been for nothing.

Once I've gone around a week without sugar I'm normally fine, it's just getting to that point. Until then, it's like being around someone who's trying to give up smoking - I get really, really crabby. And being a serial comfort-eater, feeling crabby often leads to an even greater compulsion to consume sugar. It's a vicious, delicious sugar cycle.

So my question is this: does anyone have any tried and tested advice for kicking the sugar habit once and for all? Any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Happy to provide more information if necessary.

Thanks,
Jenna

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    stop buying it and eat something healthy instead. why are you eating it? its not for hunger.

getting really crabby is in your mind, or you could be thirsty or not getting enough protein / fibre to make you full.

when you eat that kind of junk, you are pretty much eating *kitten*. it does nothing for your body, it can give you diabetes and you may ruin your weightloss.

you are not eating it for fuel, stop listening to your brain and telling yourself you need it like a drug.

its chocolate and sweets. not addictive. if you dont get it under control you will gain weight, and continue to do so.

before you reach for it, wait 5 seconds - literally count to 5, and ask yourself if you are really hungry or is your brain bored etc and ask yourself if you really need it. dont go with the impulse.

you are literally doing it to yourself and telling yourself you cant stop because it makes you feel crabby. you can just stop. count to 5 and don't eat it.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I have recently switched to a dehydrated sugar cane. It contains a natural molasses as well as the natural sweetness. There are no chemicals used in the processing that I am sensitive to and I find it just as satisfying. You may try it. I do not find the cravings as strong yet still satisfying.
  • jennahowden
    jennahowden Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It must be a "Jenna" thing..
    I was so proud of myself when I stopped sugar for a few weeks, That first week is definitely the killer. But after that it's fairly easy. Until you accept an offering of chocolate and the vicious damn cycle starts again!!
    It's not a weight problem for me. I'm actually trying to gain muscle. It's mainly the fact that it's so controlling! I must have those couple of squares of chocolate daily, or a small ramekin with corn flakes and a drizzle of maple syrup. I will stop it again soon. I know I'll get my abs to a certain point where I can't get the bottom two as defined as I want. That's when I'll have to be super strict.

Oh I don't actually add sugar to anything. I also don't eat pre packaged foods other than cornflakes. But I must have a few squares of chocolate.
    It's the Jenna curse. It can be cured. It's not pretty. But it can be done. Only problem is, you can never give in. Once you give in once, that's all it takes for the insane cravings to kick in.
    I made a caramel slice last night... I'll freeze it and grab a slice out on occasion. But I'm hoping this will be my last sugar fix.

Oh tip of advice, do not click on any threads that show pictures of food. This is what broke me good and proper. Someone posted a recipe for nutella stuffed salted choc chip cookies. I had managed to stay away from nutella for several months. Luckily there's no more left. I wont be buying another jar.
    Also, keep yourself busy! If you find yourself reaching for the sugar hit, grab your water bottle and do not let go until it it finished. Every time you crave it, do some exercise.
    The water trick is a great one though. For every time I want it, I scull a glass of water. I only have a little tummy, so I soon learn to stop thinking about sugar lol.
    Best of luck to you. I'm betting I'll be in the same boat in a week or two!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    lol @ count to five and don't eat it. Is that a tried and true solution?

I could have written your post. I am a lover of sweet food and I have learned that I can't have it as much as I like, nor can I not have it at all in any form. I have found that if I will myself to stay away from refined/added sugar for a week, the cravings start to subside, and naturally occuring sugar in fruit becomes satisfyingly sweet enough for me. I also buy the darkest chocolate I can find (74-80% cocoa which is really low in sugar, and this helps for when I want something for dessert). I still allow myself the occasional macaroon or pastry, but not more often than once every few weeks. This of course all goes to **** if I give in to sugary stuff as it starts the whole cylce again. You just really have to keep a tight grip on it. Sugar IS similar to a drug for me, it provides instant satisfaction, and the more you have, the more you want.

I also notice I crave sugar less when I eat less simple carbohydrates like bread and crackers and white rice.
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i buy sweet apples and clementines and allways have them available. They are sweet enough for me to be distracted from the candy bar. not tried and true but it works for me.
  • aqua_marine_light
    Options
    Praying helps me sometimes when I get the urge to binge. There are a couple of anti-deppressants that help control binges too.....Prozac is one of them, the other one starts with a T. Can't remember the name of it. I have had serious binge eating problems all my life, and I took Prozac once for about 4 months and hardly ever had the urge(and normally it was an every day thing).
  • allinoelle007
    allinoelle007 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I completely relate to your post. I recently was binge free for 60days and that was the longest I had gone without sugar/binging for 6 years! For me, I cannot have a bite of sugar because I can't stop at one. The principals of OA(Overeaters Anonymous) have been a life saver for me. I know it is tough, but you can do it!!
  • jennahowden
    jennahowden Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Oh if I could have fruit, I wouldn't have my need for chocolate. I have fructose malabsorption, so that makes things difficult.
  • NymphetamineGirl
    Options
    FRUIT FRUIT FRUIT!

250g of strawberries is only 53 calories. 1 cup of cherries is 60 calories. 2 kiwis are 93 calories. 2 peaches are 94 calories. 1 apple is 72 calories. Etc etc etc.

:)
  • Ilikeyoursleeves
    Ilikeyoursleeves Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is me exactly! : (
  • weep1872
    weep1872 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I added Sugar counter on my food and that really gives me perspective when I want to eat something with lots of sugar! All I can say is good luck and keep working at it!
  • katetstefans
    Options
    Hello love,

I can completely relate to the sugar addiction thing -- unbeknownst to me, I was eating loads of fruit and breads (hidden sugar) -- I craved them all the time. I learned from the Institute of Integrative Nutrition that we often crave what we are allergic too. When I gave up the sugar, my cravings immediately dissipated and my cycling bouts of depression and anxiety immediately lifted. I think that for us sugar lovers -- we are seeking pleasure in one place. We think that food is the only source of pleasure when, in fact, it is just a cheap version. We think we love sugar too much, but in fact, it's not love at all. If it was love, we would want to make it last and savor every last bite. But chances are, if you are anything like me, you eat them really fast because there is a heavy amount of guilt served with the sugar. My suggestion to you would be to find alternate sources of pleasure -- long walks, massages, talks with friends. I wrote a great piece on what we are really seeking when we grab for sugar/food here: http://katestefans.com/outwardly-independent-inwardly-insane/. Would love to hear from you if you had any questions or just wanted to chat :)

Lots of love and you are way stronger than you think you are!
    xoxo
    -Kate
  • Kaathmandu
    Options
    Atkins! I am a huge carb addict, but once I'm a few days into the Atkins programme, I don't get the sweets cravings. In fact, now, I have found out that there IS such a thing as too sweet - and I spent 40-something years thinking that 'too sweet' was just an affectation!
  • LeighAnna115
    Options
    Hi there, so sorry to hear about your struggles. I definitely can relate, my sweet tooth is enormous! Methods to combat giving in to sweets vary from person to person. Some may work for you, others may not. It may take some time to figure out what works best for you. But don't feel guilty about being attracted to sugar, it's a struggle MANY deal with. And it is a real problem for many people, not something "all in your head you can just say no to and be done with it" as some may believe. Here is an article from Psych Central...

When we eat sweet and high-fat foods, including chocolate, serotonin is released, making us feel happier. This partly explains the cravings common in seasonal affective disorder (SAD) and pre-menstrual syndrome.

In many women, the craving occurs on a monthly cycle, which suggests a hormonal basis. A recent report in the New Scientist magazine suggests people can become overly dependent on the sugar and fat in fast food. Princeton University researcher Dr. John Hoebel found that rats fed on sugar became anxious when the sugar was removed. Their symptoms included chattering teeth and the shakes – similar to those seen in people withdrawing from nicotine or morphine. Dr. Hoebel believes high-fat foods stimulate opioids or “pleasure chemicals” in the brain. This theory is backed up by many other studies.

Chocolate contains several biologically active ingredients, all of which can cause abnormal behaviors and psychological sensations like those of other addictive substances. Researchers at the University of Tampere in Finland found that self-proclaimed chocolate “addicts” salivated more in the presence of chocolate, and showed a more negative mood and higher anxiety. The researchers state that chocolate addicts show traits of regular addiction, because they exhibit craving for chocolate, irregular eating behavior, and abnormal moods.

So don't feel like something is wrong with you for being attracted to sugar, it can be a real problem. But you can find ways to overcome it!

Like I said my sweet tooth is huge! To prevent myself from overdoing the sugar this is what I like to do...

- Track sugar here on MFP
    - Drink a chocolate flavored protein shake (Shakeology) every morning for breakfast. (It's not the same as real chocolate, but it creates the illusion while still being healthy)
    - Rid my house as best I can of all temptations
    - Always stay hydrated
    - Eat plenty of berries, helps prevent the sweet cravings
    - Only ever eat dessert out at restaurants (i NEVER induldge at home) and only on special occasions. Since you mentioned you're a binger this may really help. You're more likely to eat more in the privacy of your own home than in public. Yes restaurant portions tend to be larger but you get what I'm saying, at least out to eat you are limited to one serving.
    - If I'm going to give in to something sweet, i make it worth it! Don't eat Oreos or tasty cakes. No cheap sugary foods. If you're going to eat it. Eat something good. Well prepared and worth the calories.

These are the things that work for me, but they may not work for everyone. You just have to play around with it until you find a set of tactics that work for you. Good luck!!!
  • lelliebugh
    lelliebugh Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I am pre-diabetic, I crave carbs. I crave sugar. It is not in my mind it is because my body does not process sugar well. I try fresh fruit, dark chocolate when I have a sweets craving. I take the time to enjoy it. Trust me it is difficult to have a "sweet tooth"
  • Suzyqall72
    Options
    I love sugar, too. If I didn't eat 2 pieces of german chocolate cake yesterday, I would have been ok. With me, there are certain trigger foods. Cake is one of them. Hard to turn it down, or if I have a little, I want more, so I try to avoid it. I can eat a small piece of dark chocolate or a couple of ginger snaps, and I'm fine. Find something sweet that's not too bad. Have a bite or two, and then move on. Good luck.
  • mschickiepoo
    mschickiepoo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I also am addicted to sugar, and I feel as though I have to have something everyday. What's really bad is a customer brought me in BIG box of Lindt signature chocolates........ I have given away lots out of the box and I only allow myself ONE at a time, since they are about 90 calories each. I wish I had enough will power to kick the habit.......
  • nonstopjamhen
    Options
    Wow, thank you everyone for your comments and support. There's some really great advice here which I will definitely be trying. Even hearing from others who are in the same boat is a comfort - so thanks.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I had a huge sugar craving the other week so I pretty much just ate fruit all day. So yeah my sugar would still have been high but it's fruit so it's not as bad. Well, as long as you don't do it every day. I've found that often cravings are the body telling you it actually needs something, the trick is just finding that healthier alternative. Another tip I would give is don't completely cut out the things you like from your diet. If you want a piece of chocolate then have one. Just make it small and savour it. If you're still craving sugar after that then have some fruit. Everything in moderation. It will take time to get your willpower and cravings under control and you will always have those days when you slip but that's ok as long as it's not every day. Just stick with it and you'll get there!