How can I eat when I'm allergic to most foods

Options
I'm so annoyed. I'm allergic to most fresh fruit and veg (unless it grows on a vine), and tree nuts. I also have a gluten intolerance. These make it feel impossible to get enough calories in my day. I'm currently 5'6, 145 lbs and want to get down to 128 - which I think means I should be eating around 1500 calories a day, but I struggle (and I do mean struggle) to eat that much in a healthy way.

Any tips on how I can up my calories and get out of this stupid plateau?

Thanks!

Replies

• debitepper
    Options
    Hi, I am allergic to wheat, milk & peanuts. Can tolerate a very little wheat and milk but anaphalyctic to peanuts and have environmental allergies and asthma. Do you know about the magazine Living Whithout? I feel for you but please don't give up!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Cheese, avocado, oils? Steak. Bacon, eggs. I could easily fill on that stuff. How about stew? Can you eat starchy vegetables? Just asking because squash grows on vines and can be used in so many ways. What about potatoes? Most berries should be okay, right? (I'm going by your "grows on vines" generalization.)

I eat very little in the way of glutens, and I get plenty of calories.
  • strawberru314
    strawberru314 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think I may start by talking to your doctor about options and maybe seeing a nutritionist. Otherwise, to up calories I would try eating nuts of the non-tree varieties. Also, if you are trying to add calories add oils, butter, avocado (if you are no allergic), and cream. Food allergies and intolerances are no fun, I feel for you there.
  • TrinityTrinityTrinity
    Options
    I'd talk to a nutritionist or your doctor. I just watched a nutritionist talking about Gluten Free diets and how hard it is for people with Celiac and other gluten issues to lose weight.

Good Luck :)
  • TrinityTrinityTrinity
    Options
    . I'm currently 5'6, 145 lbs
    I'm the same height and your current weight is my goal.

Are you exercising? What if you throw in some different workouts to tone up? You might be surprised and what that can do.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Full fat plain yoghurt, Pumpkin seeds, most starchy veggies like butternut squash, or spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash is a great gluten free option. Dice up and stew some of those vine ripe tomatos and enjoy! Salmon and other oily fish will up your calories as well. Add cheese, make creative use of eggs, and invest in a good whey protein powder!
  • olympian41
    olympian41 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I will try all of what you have suggested :)

I can't eat raw potatoes because they grow in the ground, but I can eat them cooked. I'll try upping my red meats and maybe squeeze a 4th small meal in during the day to see if that helps.

I work out 4-5 times/week with crossfit/bootcamps/interval style training...although that slowed down to 2 for a few weeks). I'll keep it up and hopefully see some more progress in the next few weeks!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    1. Your BMR is around 1500.
    2. You have your Food Goal at 1380
    3. You are already at a healthy weight.
    4. You need to eat more. Lots more.
    5. Eat all your calories earned by exercise, since you are already at a healthy weight.
    6. Log all your food and exercise here

You won't be losing weight by under-eating.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calories
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have allergies as well and what helped me in the beginning was to make a list of everything that you CAN eat then fill your fridge and cupboards with those things.