A Lack of Motivation

Options
Ten days ago I found this site and I started to track my food and exercise intake; and last Saturday I also started a exercise DVD routine. Now I am sitting here sore, hungry, and so exhausted....I am losing steam and motivation fast.

I am a single mother who works an active job and then I have to come home to cook, clean, do laundry, and spend time with my daughter. By the time all this is done it is around 8 pm and I am wiped out but somehow the past few days I managed to exercise. Now my legs hurt so bad that I can barely walk and people at my work are starting to notice that my pace is slower due to the pain. The past two days I had to talk my self into getting off the couch and working out and I almost didn't do it. Now tonight I sit here wondering why am I putting myself through this! My jeans are tighter now then when I started, my body isn't getting used to the exercise, and I haven't lost a single inch or pound! My daughter hates the diet and argues with me at every meal that she hates the (good) food that I cook and says I should be playing with her more. Also the DVD routine is supposed to be 40 minutes but all I can make it through is the warm up, 15 minute circuit 1, and a cool down...a whopping 20 minutes! I can't even fully exercise for 40 minutes :/

Now I am going "Why bother with all this when nothing is happening except pain?" I don't now what else I can do...I don't want to give up but I also hate being so tired and so hungry!

Replies

• ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    i know how you feel! i have to make myself something different to eat than my boyfriend and son. and yes i feel you on the being tired after cleaning the house and not wanting to exercise. you can lose weight with only the calorie deficit, exercising speeds the loss up yes but you dont have too. good luck you can do this!
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You have only been at it for 10 days...you aren't even giving your body a chance to adjust. Your jeans are tighter because your muscles are holding onto water...it will go away after a couple weeks, and your legs will be smaller. I'm not single, but my husband works nights, so most days I deal with my kids on my own. I also have a full time job. My 5 and 3 year old help me with meal prep and cleaning up. They also help me work out. You can do it, and you can bring your girl along for the ride. It's not easy, but it is so worth it to show your daughter how she can help herself! Don't give up...take a day off of exercise to let your muscles rest and then have at it again.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Give your body some time to adjust. Maybe even change the routine to working out every other day until you're not so sore. You're burning out really fast is all. Drink plenty of water too, it will help a lot of things! Good job at doing what you have already done and keep it up!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Go easy on yourself, you've only been at it for 10 days and it sounds like you've make A LOT of drastic changes in a short time. Since you've got such an active life, maybe you're better off focusing on your diet for a few weeks (weight loss is 80% about diet). Ease into the exercise and don't try to do too much too quickly becuase you'll end up in the situation you are in. Maybe you should look at different options for exercise if the DVD is a little too challanging to begin with.

Most importantly - DON'T GIVE UP! Keep on pushing on and you will see results. Be kind to yourself, take care of yourself and rest when neccessary. Make sure you're getting enough sleep.

Good luck
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. You can and will do this.. For starters try and get more water into you..As for your pants being tight I bet it's from the exercise as you are building muscle.. When I first started I didn't think I would be where I am today...And I still learn new things every day.
  • umhakim
    umhakim Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I am a diabetic, dealing with medication changes and back issues. I just started a couple of days ago. Yesterday I really struggled as my medication made me sick to my stomach. I got on my bike for my 10 minutes. The thing that keeps me going is that it does not matter how much I do as long as I do something. 5 minutes is 5 minutes that wasn't done before. It doesn't have to be gut busting. Just something. One day at a time. One choice at a time. One step at a time.

If today wasn't a good day then tomorrow is bound to be better. Hang in there. Keep trying. Don't give up.
  • paddythegeek
    Options
    I sure sympathize. I take comfort sometimes in the idea that just about any *something* is better than almost every *nothing*. Anything you do to move towards your goal is more than if you'd done nothing at all. If you're like me, it probably took many years to get to a point where you realized you needed to change. It's going to take time to get back to where you want to be as well.

A couple of things really worked for me. First, when I started, I deliberately avoided exercise. In fact, the deal I made with myself was that I didn't have to change anything I ate or my activity level, as long as I was honest with myself and recorded all my food. Without judgement, just write it all down. I found that when I started there, it became easier to look at things I could change, and that made the difference for me, compared to all the other times of starting with big plans and failing to follow through with them.

The other thing I might offer is that if you are super hungry, then you might be eating too little, and may need to adjust your goals a bit. It's no good if it's not sustainable. A little hungry is normal, but starving is not, and it won't last like that. You could also look at how filling the calories you are eating are - there's an index of foods that are highly filling somewhere on the internet. Try to include lots of foods that are high on that index, so that the calories you are taking in are doing their very best to keep you feeling satisfied. Apples are a staple for me, and I find them to be very filling, as is oatmeal.

Hang in there, and do keep trying. Something will shift and it will get easier.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some time. 10 days is still early and you need to give your body some more time to adjust. Another change you may want to consider is looking at what your calorie intake is - you mentioned that your hungry. Proper weight loss - not dieting - should not be about deprivation but about changing the calorie intake and reducing that and increasing the amount of calories that your burning. Is it possible that you have not been eating enough of your lifestyle - your active life and your exercise? Hope that helps, good luck!
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some time to adjust, but don't quit. Yes, something is happening....you are in transition and adjusting to a new lifestyle.
    Three consideration:
    Think about Jilian Michaels 30 day shred....only a 20 minute workout, but a good starting workout
    Think about spending quiet time (even for 15 minutes), if you need a meditation technique, simply concentrate on your breath
    Re your daughter complaining: YOU are the parent and you are being a good role model
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    THe weight didn't come on over night, why do you think you're going to lose it so fast? These things take a little time! Take a 2o minute walk every day, IT ALL ADDS UP!
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you changed everything at one time. You can still eat healthy foods that your daughter likes. Don't force her into the same restrictions that you have for you. She's a growing kid and needs to eat. Even make something different for her and for you. I know its more work but is it worth keeping her happy?

What's your calorie goal set to? Many people start out to aggressive and set the MFP goal to lose 2 lbs a week. Consider changing it to 1 or 1/2 lb a week. You will be less likely to be hungry you'll have more energy to workout and your body will recover faster. Then eat some of your exercise calories back. Make sure your getting enough protein and eat less processed food. Give it 10 more days and I bet you'll start to see progress. Losing the weight in a healthy sustainable way is going to take some time. You didn't put it on in a month your not going to take it off in a month.
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Oh I don't try to make her follow the same restrictions but she hates the fact that meals are now things like steamed veggies and lean protein. When in the recent past it used to be hamburgers and french fries...or hamburger helper. So she always fights me on what I am cooking because she hates vegetables.

Also I am trying to cut myself some slack because stress isn't very conducive to weight loss! TYVM for all your words of support I appreciate it!