accurate scale

Options

Replies

• tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Tidesong: Does this measure in tenths too? 151.1, 151.3, etc. or is it just the number 151; 152; 153?

It measures in increments of 0.2 lb. 151, 151.2, 151.4, etc.
  • roundtherink
    Options
    Tidesong- thanks for the recommendation. I need a new one, and I think I'm going to order this one. Looks good!
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Scales drive me crazy and I felt the same way you did, OP :( so I kind of stopped using mine. I only weigh in when I visit my relative every few weeks or so because they have a medical scale and it's sadly the only device I can trust. :indifferent: Probably not the best thing to be doing but, it helps me stay away from the bad chatter in my brain, lol! I hope you find the right scale for you though! I am kind of curious in the Aria scale by that company that makes FitBits...anyone have any input on these?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    A couple of things on this topic.

1. There is no such thing as an accurate scale.
    2. Stop weighing yourself on different scales. Only weigh yourself on 1 scale in the same situation everytime.
    3. It doesn't matter at all because it's relative. Even if your scale if off by 10 lbs., it doesn't matter because it's a relative measurement. You're just looking for downward progression. What you want is a csale that is consistently inaccurate so that your measurement is accurate.
    4. I don't know about you, but every doctor I have been to, their scales are way off.

Good luck. I'm not sure why you are so concerned with accuracy. Like I said, it's relative. It doesn't matter.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options

2. Stop weighing yourself on different scales. Only weigh yourself on 1 scale in the same situation everytime.
    3. It doesn't matter at all because it's relative. Even if your scale if off by 10 lbs., it doesn't matter because it's a relative measurement. You're just looking for downward progression. What you want is a csale that is consistently inaccurate so that your measurement is accurate.
    4. I don't know about you, but every doctor I have been to, their scales are way off.

Good luck. I'm not sure why you are so concerned with accuracy. Like I said, it's relative. It doesn't matter.
    I don't believe this. There are scales that are accurate and consistent.

If I put a known weight on the scale like a milk jug of water then it will weigh a certain amount. If the scale agrees with the known weight then I know it is accurate at least for that weight. Could it be off at a higher weight? Possibly I'd give you that but that's why I've decided on a beam scale because if it's properly zeroed and accurate at a given weight it should be accurate (enough) for my weight. It definitely should be consistent.
  • patricknh
    patricknh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you have an accurate weighted dumbbell then use that to calibrate. I have a 50 lbs blowflex dumbbell that I use to calibrate scales. Take any heavy object to a commercial scale to obtain the exact weight so you can use this as a reference point. For example, if I weigh the dumbbell on the scale a few times and every time it shows 51.5 lbs on the display then I know I have to subtract 1.5 lbs from my total weight. Consistency, when you have an accurate weight object as a reference point, is more important.

There are several other variables that can throw off measurements in my opinion, like floor surface, temperature of the surface (especially when the floor reacts to temperature differences), if you have a large scale then feet placement could make a difference etc. Dropped scales and low battery voltage also can give you an inaccurate weight measurement.

All these principles are taken inconsideration with a solidly build and calibrated doctor's office balance beam scale.
  • neverstray
    Options

I don't believe this. There are scales that are accurate and consistent.

If I put a known weight on the scale like a milk jug of water then it will weigh a certain amount. If the scale agrees with the known weight then I know it is accurate at least for that weight. Could it be off at a higher weight? Possibly I'd give you that but that's why I've decided on a beam scale because if it's properly zeroed and accurate at a given weight it should be accurate (enough) for my weight. It definitely should be consistent.

I don't see the point. It's seems like wasted effort to me. Your weight fluctuates radically within 5lbs anyway. I just keep mine in the bathroom. I weigh every morning naked after I pee. That's it. I don't care what any other scale says. My official weight is what my scale says. And my official logged weight is every Friday morning.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    tidesong wrote:
    It measures in increments of 0.2 lb.

Yes, scales are designed in metric.
    The basic increment for that chip is 100 g.
    The nearest to 100 grams is 0.2 lb.
  • T1mH
    Options
    I don't see the point. It's seems like wasted effort to me. Your weight fluctuates radically within 5lbs anyway. I just keep mine in the bathroom. I weigh every morning naked after I pee. That's it. I don't care what any other scale says. My official weight is what my scale says. And my official logged weight is every Friday morning.
    You weigh every day and you don't see the point in accuracy? By your logic it would be wasted effort to weigh every day.

Is accuracy AND consistency to much to ask?
  • neverstray
    Options
    You weigh every day and you don't see the point in accuracy? By your logic it would be wasted effort to weigh every day.

Is accuracy AND consistency to much to ask?

I don't think you understand. It's a relative measure. So, it doesn't matter if YOUR scale is accurate against all other scales in the world. It only matters that you use the same one for your weight. Accuracy is not important at all. That is why doctors don't bother with it. They don't care. They just watch for trends. They don't even care what's in your pockets or if your shoes are on or off.

Look, I don't care what you want to do. It's fine. But, I'm just trying to help you understand that it doesn't matter. But, if you don't want to believe that, then it's fine. Go find an accurate scale and be happy with your decision. But, I think it's wasted effort and money. That's all.

BTW, I don't weigh everyday for accuracy, I weigh everyday to watch my slow downward trend. I think what you are losing sight of is the fact that it is accurate for me. I don't care how it compares to my scale at work, at a gym, or at my doctors office. If my doctors office says I'm 10 lbs heavier, I know a lot of people get upset, but I don't care. I don't go by that. I go by my scale only. My scale is my reality. Does that make sense? It is accurate for me. It doesn't have to be accurate to some NASA weight and standards measure. it's not important because it's relative to me.
  • T1mH
    Options

I don't think you understand. It's a relative measure. So, it doesn't matter if YOUR scale is accurate against all other scales in the world. It only matters that you use the same one for your weight. Accuracy is not important at all. That is why doctors don't bother with it. They don't care. They just watch for trends. They don't even care what's in your pockets or if your shoes are on or off.

Look, I don't care what you want to do. It's fine. But, I'm just trying to help you understand that it doesn't matter. But, if you don't want to believe that, then it's fine. Go find an accurate scale and be happy with your decision. But, I think it's wasted effort and money. That's all.

BTW, I don't weigh everyday for accuracy, I weigh everyday to watch my slow downward trend. I think what you are losing sight of is the fact that it is accurate for me. I don't care how it compares to my scale at work, at a gym, or at my doctors office. If my doctors office says I'm 10 lbs heavier, I know a lot of people get upset, but I don't care. I don't go by that. I go by my scale only. My scale is my reality. Does that make sense? It is accurate for me. It doesn't have to be accurate to some NASA weight and standards measure. it's not important because it's relative to me.
    I understand relative weight very well and I understand your point. I'm not asking for a gun powder scale, I've got one of those. If I'm going to invest in a scale that is consistent why not also make it accurate? If its consistent then its only the matter of adjustment to make it accurate. People for thousands of years have been accurately weighing things.

Edit: I'm not just looking for down ward trends. If my weight goes up I'd like to know that as well. If I drink 8 oz of water I expect the scale to show I went up half a pound. Waste of time or not, make sense or not. You get healthy your way and I'll get healthy mine. For some one that says they don't car your sure wasting a lot of time trying to convince me I'm wasting my time.
  • traceface71
    traceface71 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I recently got the same as Tidesong. I'm still coming to terms with the 5lb differance between that and my old one. But I knew the old one was crap. The eatsmart is great though!
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    EatSmart Digital Bathroom Scale... Amazon.com. GET ONE!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I have been using a weight watchers digital scale. I weigh the same whether I weigh in on a scale (balanced weekly) at a Weight Watchers meeting or the doctor's. All scales weighing me in the same. The one I use is the Weight Watchers Glass Memory Precision Scale. Model WW43D about $50 at Bed, Bath & Beyond. (Amazon also sells it).

I have this one too. It is only .4 off the doctors office. My husband uses it, my niece uses it and I use it. It gives all of us our own weights.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    My digital scale is 5 pounds under my doctors scale so I just add 5 to my number because that is what my doc reads......
  • mommyrox05
    Options
    I got mine at Target for $25 (cheaper Weight Watchers one) and it is spot on!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Where do I get a good accurate scale? I've tried a couple of the 30-50 dollar ones and I've been unimpressed with their accuracy. Where can I find an accurate scale?

I usually only weigh myself at one of the 2 gyms I go to. 1 has a digital scale, the other a old school beam scale like a doctors office would have. They both seem to be accurate to each other.

I have a $50 Health-O-Meter Scale from Walmart--Digital up to 450 pounds. Is right on target with my doctor's scales--both my PCP and my endocrinologist's. It also has settings to store weights for 4 people and work with loss, gain, and maintenance. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

I understand relative weight very well and I understand your point. I'm not asking for a gun powder scale, I've got one of those. If I'm going to invest in a scale that is consistent why not also make it accurate? If its consistent then its only the matter of adjustment to make it accurate. People for thousands of years have been accurately weighing things.

Edit: I'm not just looking for down ward trends. If my weight goes up I'd like to know that as well. If I drink 8 oz of water I expect the scale to show I went up half a pound. Waste of time or not, make sense or not. You get healthy your way and I'll get healthy mine. For some one that says they don't car your sure wasting a lot of time trying to convince me I'm wasting my time.

That's not how the human body/metabolism works. Just because you drink 8 oz. of water does not mean the scale will go up a half a pound. That's completely inaccurate. Don't weigh yourself so often. Once a day, once a week. NOT several times a day.
  • momentsend
    Options
    Precision is key to body weight scales.

Accuracy is a fuzzy measurement that is more a statistical finding than the simple measurement you are expecting bathroom scales to produce for you.

A good bathroom scale should give you the same whole number each time you step on it. The tenth of a pound value is an unreliable value and is expected to fluctuate (this is probably what is you are referring to in terms of good/bad scales). DO NOT USE the tenth of a pound value (e.g. xxx.5) in your weight loss calculations UNLESS you have a scale that measures in the hundredths (xxx.x2) in that case don't use the hundredths of a pound value. You should use the unreliable number (the very last digit on the right) only to determine if you are going to round up to the next whole number.

Measurements are not that simple as they seem to be. I remember learning the painful way in chemistry class.

As for 'good' bathroom scales I use the Eat Smart Digital Bathroom Scale and I really like it:
    http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353802672&sr=8-1&keywords=digital+bathroom+scale

If you want more info on Accuracy check out Wikipedia's page on Accuracy & Precision.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy
  • neverstray
    Options
    Precision is key to body weight scales.

Accuracy is a fuzzy measurement that is more a statistical finding than the simple measurement you are expecting bathroom scales to produce for you.

A good bathroom scale should give you the same whole number each time you step on it. The tenth of a pound value is an unreliable value and is expected to fluctuate (this is probably what is you are referring to in terms of good/bad scales). DO NOT USE the tenth of a pound value (e.g. xxx.5) in your weight loss calculations UNLESS you have a scale that measures in the hundredths (xxx.x2) in that case don't use the hundredths of a pound value. You should use the unreliable number (the very last digit on the right) only to determine if you are going to round up to the next whole number.

Measurements are not that simple as they seem to be. I remember learning the painful way in chemistry class.

As for 'good' bathroom scales I use the Eat Smart Digital Bathroom Scale and I really like it:
    http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353802672&sr=8-1&keywords=digital+bathroom+scale

If you want more info on Accuracy check out Wikipedia's page on Accuracy & Precision.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy

Yes. This is what I was trying to say but didn't know how to express it. Thank you. It's so obvious to me, but I don't know how to say it properly and it comes off sounding wrong. People here on MFP worry about this so much so often and it's silly. And to those who measure to your doctors scales, why would you do that? Most doctor scales are off and not calibrated. And, you weigh in clothes and with shoes on. At least, every single doctor weighs me that way. They don't care what you weigh, per se. They are watching for alarming trends, a rapid weight loss or gain that might lead them to conclusions if you are also having other symptoms. People don't understand this. Oh well. it's not that complicated. Anyway, thanks again.