Rowing=cardio??

Options
Hello,

I've been working out for the last few weeks trying different things and so far i really like doing 3miles on the elliptical and 2,000 meters rowing for my cardio.
A friend of mine told me i'm not really getting much of a benifit from it because it doesn't take me a full hour.
Is this true-?? I'm not seeing the results as quickly as i want (2 lbs) a week but i've heard conflicting information.

Could someone clear this up for me?

thanks!

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    you don't need to work out for an hour to see results.

The ACSM recommends a minimum of 30 minutes a day 5 days a week at moderate intesity to increase physical fitness. But they also say that you can split those workouts up into 10 minute or more sessions if it's more to your liking.

In other words, it doesn't matter if you do it all at once or break it down, it's still the same.

http://www.acsm.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home_Page&TEMPLATE=CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=7764
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Rowing is more difficult for me than the stair master. I been doing the 30 day shred for 20 min a day and have had huge results .
  • eguerrette
    eguerrette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much!
    That link helps a lot! i have about 20 lbs to lose and i'm struggling- i've stayed under 1200 calories all week and haven't seen much of a loss. It gets so discouraging!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    couple things, first, make sure that "staying under 1200 calories" is the right thing for you. A bigger deficit doesn't necessarilly mean more weight loss. And second, 1 week is too short of a time period to judge whether something is working for you, you need at least a month to make those kind of assessments.
  • eguerrette
    eguerrette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'll keep up with it- thanks for your help!