Any good beginner workout ideas/DVD's?

Options
Hey, all! Pretty new here to MFP, but absolutely loving it! I am basically pretty sedentary, and about 285. Need a good beginner DVD/workout routine. Any ideas, advice, anything?? Sure would appreciate it!! Oh, and short would be good, too, so I can do in the morning before my 1-year old wakes up and I have to get ready for work and maybe again at night - 20-30 minutes? Thanks, Everyone!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Do a Denise Austin tape. There are tons of those.
  • missyjane
    missyjane Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds. I highly recommend them. She has tons of videos, so it might be a good idea to check a few out from your local library and decide what you like. They vary from 15 minute one mile workouts to 5 mile workouts. They are low impact so very good if you have a lot of weight to lose like I do. Good luck!
  • fields1018
    Options
    Richard Simmons "Sweatin to the Oldies" is fun. If you have OnDemand with your cable you can get tons of videos for free. Everything ranging from Yoga to Kick Boxing to Dance Yourself Thin. I have found 3 minutes to 60 minutes.
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    I'M doing POWER90,(do not confuse with P90X)... I find it pretty easy for a begginner, they give alternate exercises for the harder ones. All you need for equipment is elastic bands (20$ at Walmart) or dumbells and I'd suggest a mat for sit-ups.

Theres 2 different work out, you alternate them everyday for 6 days and rest on the 7th.

sweat 1-2 (cardio-abs)is about 43 mins and sculpt 1-2 (strenght) is about 25 min

Hope that helped!

Good luck!

JF
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Go on Youtube and check them out for free
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I second both Leslie Sansone and Denise Austin. Any "walking" DVD is really low impact aerobics and great for beginners. I do one almost every evening with my 62 year old mother. Good luck. The Shapely girl DVD is pretty good too. Both Denise and Leslie also have some easy DVDs that use toning bands for light strengthening.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I like the "10minutes to fitness" DVD's. You can mix them to do longer workouts or you just do 1 if that is all you have time for. I find them on Amazon.com.

Good Luck.
  • EmilyKonfrst
    Options
    I just started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. It is not easy but Im already seeing results. It is very adaptable for a beginner. I have been doing fine with level one and I am definitley not in shape... just had a baby 4 months ago. It is 20 minutes long.
  • casey34472
    casey34472 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    If you have the money wii fit is great! :happy:
  • khubbard1207
    khubbard1207 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with this one. Walk away the pounds is not a lot of crazy jumping around and great for beginners. You still get a workout and your heart rate up but without having to be a gymnast.
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    I don't know if you can get her in the US (I'm in the UK) but Rosemary Conley 3 DVD aerobic pack is working for me, there's 3 different DVD's with different time length sections and you can vary the intensity to suit you. You may be able to get it off Amazon.

Stacey
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds. I highly recommend them. She has tons of videos, so it might be a good idea to check a few out from your local library and decide what you like. They vary from 15 minute one mile workouts to 5 mile workouts. They are low impact so very good if you have a lot of weight to lose like I do. Good luck!

I agree they are great! I use them still when i cant get to the gym or go wog in the neighborhood!