Need help as usual!!

jcompton3821
jcompton3821 Posts: 109
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
We are going to a local mexican restuarant for dinner so I have no way of knowing the nutritional content of anything. Should I just use the database as a guide or guesstimate?? It said a shredded steak and cheese chimichanga would be around 350 cals...does that sound close to anyone??? I have about 750 cals left in my day....or could someone give me a better item on the menu to try.....

P.S. I'M HUNGRY so make it something big!!!!

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Check out some Resteraunts in this list:

http://www.dwlz.com/restaurants.html

And no, a chimichanga for 350 calories seems too good to be true.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    avoid: fried, cheese, sour cream, guacamole. These are the biggest offenders in mexican food.

lean towards lean meats, sizzling or grilled, reduce the number of chips/tortillas and slather everything with lots of salsa.

and if you are starving, eat an apple on your way to the restaurant. it's only 60-80 calories, but lots of fiber and it will help you not go way overboard!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    oh and the 350 cals for a steak and cheese chimichanga is probably for one small one. they are fried and they are not your friend.

I always order a taco-salad type thing and refrain from eating the shell. avoid the high fat stuff and you automatically keep the calories in check
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Read this for a few tips:
    http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/10-ways-eat-healthy-mexican-cantina

Chicken or fish. Skip the chips. Corn tortillas over flour. Sub black beans for refried if possible.

HTH!
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Ugh. These situations are so hard. Something could be a few hundred calories or a thousand - and honestly without the nutritional guide there is no real way of knowing. I went to Quiznos one time and ordered what I would have ordered at subway - assuming the calories would be similar - and it had WAY more calories. So, its just hard to guess.

It's so hard! I would try to just stay away from certain things - fried, sour cream, etc. But honestly, if i were going out to mexican, I'd consider it a cheat night and indulge - I love me some sour cream!
This discussion has been closed.