Third time lucky?

Options
Thought I'd intruduce myself as well... My name is Francis and I'm from the Netherlands. My profile is open to all MFP-members so check it out if you want to know more of feel free to ask.

I have been a bit chubby as a kid but since my pregnancy I really have a problem with my weight. After giving birth 25 kilo's stayed on and I couldn't get them off. About 3 years after my son was born I finally managed to lose 30 kilo's with the Montignac-diet. This is how I looked back than, weighing about 70 kilo.

showflyklein.jpg

(When I found this picture back last week I almost started to cry, but will print it out and stick it to the fridge as a motivator. I want this body back!!)

But after a few years I started gaining slowly and finally gained it all back and than some, most of it in the years before and after my divorce. About 7 years ago I used South Beach to lose 20 kg. again. Than my male friend and soulmate was killed and again I gained it all back (can you say 'emotional eater) and reached my all time high of 110 kilo. I did some poor attempts to lose it again but just couldn't keep to it longer than a few weeks and never lost serious weight.
So here I am... in my Third and hopefully final and succesful attempt.

I've joined MFP 1,5 weeks ago, after a friend from the US that 's been on here way longer already, pointed me to this website.
I really needed and wanted to start losing weight again but just didn't seem to be able to find the right mindset. I've had a few stressfull years and after losing my job a few weeks back I found myself on the edge (or just over?) of a burnout. So losing weight wasn't really on my mind lately. But about 2,5 weeks back I felt things started to change. Getting back a little energy and enjoying things again... But still... I wanted to start losing weight but just couldn't get to it.
And than my friend sent me the link to MFP. I checked it out. read some messages, and - just for the fun of it, made a profile and decided to just start logging what I ate. No dieting yet, just logging to see where I went wrong. I thought I wasn't eating thát much or thát bad...
Hmm... was I wrong... First two days I went wáy over the calories MFP said I could eat and I didn't even eat or snack that much (the evenings are hardest for me). Ok...maybe I could make some better choises... And so - all 'by itself' - I started to make better choises. Plain yoghurt in stead of the sweetened fruity one and maybe a smaller portion as well... And at the moment I felt a craving for something bad, I thought about having to log it and decided not to eat it.
Before I knew it my mindset had turned 180 degrees and I was dieting! With great result 'cause I lost 3 kilo the very first week (ok, lots of retained fuids but hey... that's weight you carry around and need to lose as well, so in my book that counts too).
I'm very motivated to stick to it now, I want to ride my horse next spring, make that long-ride to Poland in a few years and just be happy with myself again. I'm sick and tired of being alone but I know I will stay alone as long as I keep looking like this and feeling unhappy about myself and how I look.
This time I'm not on a particular 'diet', just logging what I eat, trying to make good choises without really cooking or eating 'differently'. I do try to cut back on the carbs again 'cause I know that works for me but not as much as with Montignac or South Beach. I'm really into the Green Smoothies (found those last year and lost a few kilo's by just drinking Green Smoothies and nothing else) as a way to cut the carbs in my breakfast and lunch and they're healthy and taste great so will bring them back in my diet on a regular base.
Because of my bad ancle (and just nó financial space to go to a gym or anything) I'm not doing any real exercise at the moment. I do walk my dogs in a more than average walkingspace and I shovel manure on a daily base at my horse's paddock. When the weather is good I take the bike in stead of the car. I'm not logging each and every 10 minute walk or bikeride to the supermarket but when I had a longer and fast walk with the dogs, went to the barn by bike or did more than the usual barnwork I will log that. I hope to be able to do more once I've lost some weight and than I will also take a few beginners lessons with the Kettlebell so I can do that at home with the right techniques. When I find a new job and can afford it I'd love to go back to the gym again, did that in the past and loved working the weights for some mussclebuilding. But the Kettlebell should help with that too.

So.. that's me, starting my third serious attempt. Third time lucky or as we say in Dutch, "drie keer is scheepsrecht".

Replies

• LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Francis, I can't even count how many times I've attempted to lose weight. I have a tendency to get complacent just under 200 pounds and then put a good 40 or so back on before taking control of the situation again. This time is different. I'm down to just about 180 and mentally I know I'm going to get it this time. MFP and my friends here have made a big difference. I know I'm going to do it this time.

I've also learned a lot by logging and watching my macros. I know what I absolutely cannot do and what I can. This knowledge will not only help me make it through to my goal it will help me to never put the weight back on again. It's incredible! I'm so glad you're here! You're a good person and I want the best for you. :)
  • DutchFrancis
    DutchFrancis Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lisa, I'm also very happy to be here and thankful that you sent me the link. Just getting that right mindset was already such an imortant step for me. Between the two larder periods of dieting I also made some sorry attempts, lost a few kilo's but once I stopped, gained them right back. Last year when I started the Green Smoothies I lost 10 kilo in a rather short time, but than the stress about my home started and winter came so didn't know what Smoothies to make to get some variation, so stopped drinking them and gained again.
    This time I'm really dedicated to keep on going and hope to reach the same awesome results that you have. And if I ever skip a day of logging, please come and virtually kick my butt! ;)