Why have I never done this before!?

Options
Last Tuesday I started waking up at 4:40 a.m. to be at the gym when they open at 5:00. I'm only able to get in about a 45 minute workout. But I'm loving it! My evenings are free for whatever I want to do, I feel MUCH more energized through the day, plus I feel like the weight/inches are coming off faster. On top of all of that it also helps keep me on track and sets the tone for my eating for the day. Because believe me, I'm not waking up at the crack of dawn so I can eat junk! :laugh: I can't believe I've never done this before! So far I've gone 7 mornings in the past week and a half. I can't wait to make the trend continue! :bigsmile:

Replies

• kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    wow... I totally give you props.... There is just no way I want to get up that early :laugh: My friend has tried to talk me into...

Way to go for you, though!! So glad that it is working out so well for you!!
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    haha, I don't think I could do that either! I complain enough about waking up at 6:30!
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Last Tuesday I started waking up at 4:40 a.m. to be at the gym when they open at 5:00. I'm only able to get in about a 45 minute workout. But I'm loving it! My evenings are free for whatever I want to do, I feel MUCH more energized through the day, plus I feel like the weight/inches are coming off faster. On top of all of that it also helps keep me on track and sets the tone for my eating for the day. Because believe me, I'm not waking up at the crack of dawn so I can eat junk! :laugh: I can't believe I've never done this before! So far I've gone 7 mornings in the past week and a half. I can't wait to make the trend continue! :bigsmile:

That's the best way! I am up at 4:45 every day. I don't go to the gym when I workout that early, but I work out at home. It means I can cheer for my son at his basketball games and not have something nagging me in the back of my mind that I should be getting in my workout! Of course, I get teased for going to bed so early - but I honestly don't care because I feel great.

Good for you! Keep it up!:flowerforyou:
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I used to do that...well, 6am...never 5 lol, but good for you! THAT IS MOTIVATION! Keep it up
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I wake up a@ 4 to be there at 4:20am. That way I can get in 45 minutes of cardio and 30 min in strength training. I have three daughters and a husband who is very demanding of my time. So that is the only thing I could come up with.

I love it also, it's over and done with and it makes you very mindful not to undo the "precious" time at the gym.
    Great Job and Good Luck....
  • Buzzkitty1
    Options
    I used to do that, too. I thought I had to. Now my kids are older ( 9 & almost 12), and they can wait for dinner while I work out! I actually have more energy then, after work.
    On weekends I get up, drink coffee and eat something light, then work out "first thing", but I function so much better doing it this way. It's great that everyone finds their groove, the one that keeps you at it day after day!
    Way to go.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    YES! I am sooooo not a morning person. I've never been able to get up and workout. But I started it a month ago - and it makes a HUGE difference.

~I don't eat nearly as much during the day.

~I don't have that "nagging" thing in the back of my mind that I hafta squeeze in

~It will get done if it's first thing - nothing can push it aside

~I feel great all day long

~Sleep like a baby and get to bed early

yesssmileyf.gif
  • dolce7vita
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I've been trying to get motivated to do this too, but I am afraid... You're inspiring me, you go!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I love that!! I carpool w/ a couple friends to the gym which makes it much easier to get out of bed. We're there when they open at 5AM and it's great to have it done! Good for you! :bigsmile:
  • xerothermic
    Options
    I don't think anyone would appreciate my attitude that early. I tend to be a very very angry morning person.

Congrats though! I'm totally jealous.
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    Definitely admirable!
  • breckmc
    Options
    I started going in at 5 when I was in my senior year of college and carried it for several years. It was my favorite time to work out. Another plus is many studies have shown the benefits of doing fasted cardio (working out on a empty stomach) for burning fat.

I work at 6 am now, so it's easier for me to workout after work but I miss the morning workouts.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    When I joined the first biggest loser competition at work - I started going to the gym at 5:30 am when they opened, before I went to work and then the same night when I got home from work. Grueling. But what I liked about it is if I didn't feel like going that night or if something came up, I felt good that I already worked out in the morning for 45 minutes.

I've tried it again recently to wake up that early again but I just cannot do it. It takes will power. So I just go at night. Good for you!
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderful world of morning exercise! I have been doing it for years. It is a GREAT way to start the day, you don't have to feel guilty about eating the rest of the day because you have already had your exercise, and you have your evenings free to do whatever you like. Plus there is something really nice about being one of the first ones up to enjoy the day - it's kind of like you have the world to yourself for a little while. This time of year I go to the gym in the mornings, but I enjoy my exercise even more when the weather warms up a little and I trade my gym routine for an early morning bike ride or swim at sunrise. Good luck with your goals and keep up the good work!