Low impact cardio?

Options
I have an un-cemented prosthesis in my left hip, when it was put in I was told I could never run, it will cause damage to the bone growth around the prosthesis in the femur. I have been using an elliptical machine at the gym but it gets old doing the same thing over and over. Other than an elliptical, or a bike, anyone have ideas for other low impact cardio?

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Is it permissible for you to swim or tread water in one place in the pool?
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was swimming a couple of years ago. That s a good idea. Just have to find a pool that is not overly busy.
  • MaryDeLoria
    MaryDeLoria Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You might try NIA - it is a low-impact cardio form of dance that combines modern dance, martial arts and yoga. You can find out more about it here: nianow.com
    I practiced for several years when I had access to a studio near my work and loved it. I'm looking for a way to get over to the studio once or twice a month now so that I can continue studying with my favorite instructor.

Good luck!
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine at gym... good cardio. Some gyms have arm bikes as well. Simply standing and punching a punching bag would give you good cardio as well, especially those little ones what are all about speed in boxing. Also skiing or skating maybe...
  • mwbulechek
    Options
    Thank you all, really good ideas!
  • mirsasha
    Options
    Can you walk instead of run? My right hip is bone and bone and needs to be replaced. I've been told by my doctor not to run (and, quite frankly, it's too painful to any way). I've been walking instead. My hip does get sore, but then it's always sore.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Are you OK with walking? I love the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds series of videos. Many of them are on You Tube, free. Just look up her name. There are some videos that are 20, 30, 40, or 45 minutes. You'd probably want to start with the shorter ones to test how you feel. And watch the video all the way through once to prep yourself and assess if there will be difficulties. She incorporates a lot of arm and upper body movements too. She often uses her own products like a resistance band or weighted balls. Obviously you don't have to do that! Empty hands is just fine. Or your own light hand weights. If you're OK walking and have some flexibility in your hips, I highly recommend looking up these videos.
  • mwbulechek
    Options
    Yes walking is an option, I usually have been getting in 20-40 min a day of walking. I will check into the videos.
  • mirsasha
    Options
    These are what I started with when I weighed 256 pounds. I could barely get through a "2 mile" video. Due to the limited range of motion in my right hip and the weight, these were more comfortable to do than walking - it's the full stride part that hurts. So, they might be perfect for you too.

(I now weight 134 and with the loss of weight - and some physical therapy - no longer have as much pain walking. Tomorrow, I'll walk 9.5 miles with my half-marathon training group!)
    Are you OK with walking? I love the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds series of videos. Many of them are on You Tube, free. Just look up her name. There are some videos that are 20, 30, 40, or 45 minutes. You'd probably want to start with the shorter ones to test how you feel. And watch the video all the way through once to prep yourself and assess if there will be difficulties. She incorporates a lot of arm and upper body movements too. She often uses her own products like a resistance band or weighted balls. Obviously you don't have to do that! Empty hands is just fine. Or your own light hand weights. If you're OK walking and have some flexibility in your hips, I highly recommend looking up these videos.