HR monitor gadget thingy

Options
I have an iPhone 4s. I use endomondo and myfitnesspal daily. I want a HR monitor gadget that will work well with these apps. Do you'all have any suggestions on the best one to buy? Recommendations for price ranges? Thanks.

Replies

• JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Reviving an old post, but I was looking for something similar to work with my ipod touch 4th gen and have yet to find anything either. With all the apps available out there, and needing my ipod for music anyway, it seems like there would be a way to use what I've got instead of buying a running watch, shoe pod, GPS band, and all the other "stuff".
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the Bodymedia Fit and the STRIIV Play.
  • JoanB5
    Options
    Have you looked at the Bodymedia Fit and the STRIIV Play.

Thanks for things to consider!

Looks like BodyMedia requires an armband (not sure I'd like that as well as a hidden chest-strap and already have my ipod on my other arm while running). Plus, requires a monthly subscribe. Not crazy on that.

STRIIV Play appears to be a pedometer and I really need HR info.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    The armband is ver comfortable, you don't even know its on. The subscription is peanuts. If you want it for all day wear- its great b
  • JoanB5
    Options
    I think I need something that will crossover into running as well, perhaps a Garmin product. I know they are not the leader in HR, as is Polar, but I think they are catching up, and they are the leader for GPS. A lot to consider with these products. If running, I recommend "Rainmaker" reviews. He has a product comparison as well that I've found helpful, though I've yet to make a decision.
  • pabigwood
    pabigwood Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It doesn't connect to my iphone, but I just bought a Polar FT7. The thing that completely amazed me today on my first workout with it was that it automatically connected to the machines I was using at the gym. Suddenly my heart rate was being displayed on the readout, I wasn't expecting it. Another machine I used I was able to set my target heart rate and the machine automatically changed the difficulty up and down to keep me in the range I set. I was blown away!!
  • JoanB5
    Options
    I have an iPhone 4s. I use endomondo and myfitnesspal daily. I want a HR monitor gadget that will work well with these apps. Do you'all have any suggestions on the best one to buy? Recommendations for price ranges? Thanks.

Looks like most of those run on ANT+ heart straps. So, some Garmins are made with that capability, and then Wahoo chest straps. If you have an iPhone 4s, you are in pretty good shape. I have and iPhone 4th gen, and apparently you need the 5th gen ones for those to pick up. : (
  • JoanB5
    Options
    It doesn't connect to my iphone, but I just bought a Polar FT7. The thing that completely amazed me today on my first workout with it was that it automatically connected to the machines I was using at the gym. Suddenly my heart rate was being displayed on the readout, I wasn't expecting it. Another machine I used I was able to set my target heart rate and the machine automatically changed the difficulty up and down to keep me in the range I set. I was blown away!!

That's cool! Polar's are known to be more compatible with gym equipment than Garmins, I'm told. I have an accurate HR strap for my Sole F80, and I don't do gyms, so mainly road time, and workouts, I'd like to have a little better idea of calorie burn than guesstimates. Anyone compared them to the MFP estimates to see how close they are. So much of it depends on intensity throughout. I do a lot of interval training, so I'm not sure how accurate "circuit training" is for calorie burn.
  • mrbossman
    mrbossman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The Polar H7 Bluetooth Smart is compatable with iPhone 4S & 5 and Android. I use it and it works great. It uploads my data to Digifit which syncs with MFP. It cost $45-$90. I love it.
  • JoanB5
    Options
    The Polar H7 Bluetooth Smart is compatable with iPhone 4S & 5 and Android. I use it and it works great. It uploads my data to Digifit which syncs with MFP. It cost $45-$90. I love it.

Good info! I think that one may be compatible withe 5th gen iPods as well. I'd have to upgrade mine. My daughter has been wanting one...I'd have to gift her mine and get a new one. So many decisions!
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options

I noticed that with my HRM (the FT4). Normally, I have to use the lower bar and hold for 2-3 minutes before my HR will display, but I figured it must somehow wirelessly know? It was nice to see the HR on the screen.