Question about Soy milk...first time drinker

Options
2»

Replies

• Lolaby123
    Options
    i often have soy milk sweetened with apple juice which is fairly easy to buy and doesn't taste too odd. though i find i enjoy soya milk more if i think of it less as a milk substitute, and more as a drink in itself (stops me missing milk basically)
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    You really just have to try them all because everyone has different tastes. I drink So Delicious coconut milk and Silk pure Almond Milk more than soy these days but I'd say to start with Silk Soy milk maybe the vanilla and move from there.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    The OP said in her post she can't have nut based milks.
  • venusrockstar
    Options
    I would personally try to stay away from soy since it has a lot of estrogen it in which can inhibit weight loss. Almond milk might be a better option.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I personally love soy milk, or coconut milk. Does coconut count as a nut as far as allergies? (Sorry if I'm being stupid about it)
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I use Silk Fruit and Protein. It prob wouldn't be great with your chocolate protein powder but the vanilla would be fine. I use it because it has such an amazing flavor and works great in smoothies. No need to add honey or agave to sweeten your smoothie. It comes in peach/mango, mixed berry, and strawberry/banana. I usually use the peach/mango.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised so many people responded with "try almond milk" when the OP stated they were allergic to nuts.

Why is it that you are trying to cut out cow's milk? Trying to see if you are lactose intolerant? You can purchase lactose free milk if that is the case. It is a bit more pricey than regular milk but if lactose may be your issue it would be a great alternative.

Soy milk I find gross. I haven't tried rice or any of the other milks out there minus almond.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, coconut is processed on the same equipment as nuts, so it must be labelled as "contains nuts" on allergy labels. taxologically speaking, it is not related to tree nuts, cashews, or legumes so if you were able to get a "clean" source or were not sensitive enough to cross-contaminated equipment, you might be okay. Of course, you could be allergic to both nuts and coconuts too, in which case they would be out.

So usually if someone says "no nuts", coconut is also out.

Not a stupid question at all!
    I personally love soy milk, or coconut milk. Does coconut count as a nut as far as allergies? (Sorry if I'm being stupid about it)
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Okay then, there is always rice and oat milk they are pretty good too.