Walking is my exercise...but winter is near

Options

Replies

• BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I do leslie sansone DVDs at home. There's a group on Mfp with monthly challenges.
    Your local library might have some to try

This. I know at my Walmart, her DVDs were only about $8.

Also, don't be afraid to layer and go outside anyways. Even if it's close to freezing, with proper layering, you will be fine. Just don't try it with ice out. Here is a great article to point you in the right direction. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fitness/HQ01681

There's also tons of free videoes on youtube. And alot of popular workouts can be found there for free.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's Walk off the Pounds and/or Living Room Dance Party. :D
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    How cold is cold? I live in the middle of no where Sask where it can gets to well below -40 in the winter I just dress appropriatly and go for a walk. Of course if there is a really horrid windchill, I will re-consider but if you are dressed for the weather its not that bad.

Okay.. but you are from Saskatchewan which means you can have literally no concept of what normal temperature is like.
    You folks don't even throw on a coat till -10.
    :tongue:
  • msteresao
    msteresao Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    leslie sansone DVDs at home you can look them up on you tube
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Leslie Sansones walk away the pounds! I tried it! Could get you through the winter!
  • springseternal
    springseternal Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I picked up a mini-trampoline at walmart. I follow youtube walking videos but I do them on the trampoline.
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    :tongue: Too cold too walk? No such thing. Invest in a good thermal base, waterproof lined triusers, walking shoes and a decent jacket and there will b nothing stopping you!:happy:
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I live in Western Oregon where rain is SOP October - June. Normally, this is just part of the cycle of life in the NW but since I have gotten serious about losing weight this year and walking or biking have been my primary avenues of exercise, I am also finding that is an issue when the weather returns to its normal wet. But I have decided that my winter/wet season exercise will be the Fitness Blenders videos I have also alternated with the walk/bike routine. I'll just be doing alot more of that for a while than the other. That way I don't have to go anywhere or do anything special to exercise which makes it easier to stick to than if I have to go through a whole rigamarole to even get to a place for exercise which would tend to make me less likely to follow through. Simple is better for me. Videos available on YouTube or fitnessblenders.com
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone, Leslie Sansone, lol you will probably get tired of hearing that name. From beginners to advance, from 1 mile to 5 miles your choice, your gonna love her! 4 basic moves, you can do this!!

Cheers:drinker:
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Chris, I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada - where we get major cold! Dress right - layers - and don't forget mitts, scarf and hat. Alternately, many fitness clubs have indoor tracks, and malls (before the stores open) can also be a good choice. Don't let the weather de-rail your progress!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone, Leslie Sansone, lol you will probably get tired of hearing that name. From beginners to advance, from 1 mile to 5 miles your choice, your gonna love her!

Cheers:drinker:

Ditto ditto ditto...
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    IF you have Comcast or another cable provider that has OnDemand Programming, look and see if there is a fitness and sports section. When I can't get to Zumba or go hiking, I do one of the videos on there. Walking is one of the categories. I figure I am already paying for cable so I use it since it is part of my subscription anyway.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i used to make excuses in the winter too.

today i bought a lot of cold weather gear for training outdoors in the cold.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If you hav a Wii thre is a gamecalled Walk It Out whee you walk to the music. Sometimes I jog in place while watching something on TV. So maybe walk in place to a show.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Winter? SO!?!?!?!?
    I walk my Berner n snowstorms, and when it's very cold, I dress for the cold weather: tuque, mits, snowboard pants, boats, snowB coat, warm sweater... and let's do this!!!
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    Some of the local highschools will open their gyms for people to walk in inclement weather. Our local rec center has a "walking program" several mornings a week and alot of people will walk the stairs and bleachers in our local arena as well as the mall and places like that. I also do Leslie Sansonne's walking dvds but at this point I think I'm going to start looking for a mini-tramp too because some days I want to walk as well as doing my other stuff but really don't want the impact on my feet and knees.
  • DavisAlex
    DavisAlex Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    you could look into a stationary bike. great exercise, recumbents are comfortable. there are moderately priced ones available!
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have mentioned Leslie Sansone's walking DVDs. She is pretty uplifting without being a Barbie or as someone said, a Drill Sergeant.

Or there are always other exercise DVDs you could consider besides Leslie Sansone. I usually look at the reviews on Amazon.com and also see if I can find a clip on youtube.

Also, I don't know how you feel about buying used, but our Salvation Army and Goodwill always have stationary bikes for sale as well as other exercise equipment, such as weight sets. They usually give them the once over to make sure they're in working condition before they put them on the sales floor. For $20 bucks or so and some Lysol, you could easily find something in your area, I'm sure. Or Craig's List.
  • Neeser926
    Neeser926 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I pace in my house when talking on the phone. I can get a mile in very easily and I only have 15 steps in one direction before I have to turn around and walk back. I feel foolish doing it but every step helps! I have stairs I can climb as well but the knees don't like going down the stairs so I find it more advantageous to pace quickly. I love to walk outside but don't have the safest neighborhood after dark and it gets dark before I get out of work now.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    As well as other workouts, I use my elliptical in place of getting out to run and walk.