Very overweight and/or obese people trying P90X?

Options
I'm wondering if anyone around here who is in the 30-60lbs overweight and or more has ever tried P90X?

How did it go?

What were your results like?

:) I'm giving it a go as soon as I've recovered from being ill. I'm nervous as hell and when I look at the success threads online I only see people who were barely overweight to begin with! I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only seriously overweight (30lbs to lose to be in a 'healthy' weight range!) person who has ever tried this!

Haha!

What say you?

Replies

• bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Go to YouTube and search "p90x transformation". You also just google it and then click images

My goal is to lose 35lbs or more, but I'm just wrapping up week two, so I can't help much. I can tell you that this is no lightweight program, that much is for sure. The good thing is you just do what you can, and that is heavily emphasized during the routines. I think the folks that lost in the 100lb range needed to do it several times before they got to their final goal.

Just remember, like everything else, food intake is a key part of losing weight
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. I'm aware it's a tough program. But it's been my goal for ages and I'm tired of putting it off so I thought; Why not start now?

I just wondered if I was crazy for trying where I am currently in my weight and fitness goals.

I will try YouTubing. Thanks!
  • bradwwood
    Options
    If you want to get strong, do it.

Those search terms I gave you will show you plenty of people with over 50lbs to lose.

Just don't expect to work at the same level as they are (the video workgroup). ... Do your best and forget the rest

I'm still doing push ups from the knees and chair assisted pull ups, but I can tell I'm getting stronger.
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    You have nothing to lose with P90x, except weight and inches.

I did my first round 2 years ago and lost 27 pounds and still had a great deal of weight left to lose before goal. I am now 10 days away from completing this round and I have improved so much and lost inches and weight... I will post my results in about 12 days so I won't go into full details here.

THIS is what you have to know:

- Be prepared to be REALLY sore... but keep pushing play anyway and make Tylenol your friend (Edited to add that the pain is temporary)
    - You will have to modify and there is NOTHING wrong with it... just do your best!
    - This program is set up for 90 day increments but you should look at P365X... it needs to be a lifestyle change... I understand that NOW.

If you want support I am here for you girl!

You CAN do this... it is gonna be hard... how badly do you want your dream body? What is it worth?
  • bradwwood
    Options
    Hey penrbrown, take a look at msp90x's pictures... She is holding her pants in one shot, and look how awesome she looks now!!

Yeah, prepare to be sore for sure, I have been fore two weeks now.... But it feels good at the same time

Make sure to read through the first few pages of the nutrition guide, there is some important info in there that I initially disregarded because I was already doing something that was working. I've since changed thi ts up to better adhere to what they suggest
  • penrbrown
    Options
    Thank you ladies!!! I really appreciate your input.

I intend to follow the nutrition guide that comes with the program. Why go halfway? I'm going all in or not at all. :)
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    I was 83lbs overweight when i started doing p-90x for my cardio. And i couldnt even bend over to tie my shoes without losing my breath when i started doing it. P-90x is a great workout but with that said there are far less expensive programs that are just as good.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have 48lbs to lose yet and was wondering that myself. I did the fit test to see if I was ready and I did pretty good with just a couple modifications, can't do a pushup on my toes yet!!

I am going to finish my 30 day shred and add P90X to my New Years 'To Do' list. If you are going to do it, I would love to your progress and be my inspiration!
  • penrbrown
    Options
    I was 83lbs overweight when i started doing p-90x for my cardio. And i couldnt even bend over to tie my shoes without losing my breath when i started doing it. P-90x is a great workout but with that said there are far less expensive programs that are just as good.

Well, I already paid so I may as well do it.

But what other programs would you recommend? Do you feel P90X helped you?
  • bradwwood
    Options
    Thank you ladies!!!

????
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    For the record, I couldn't do a push up from my toes when I started and a pull-up was a joke... was no where near able!

NOW: 30 push-ups from my toes and I am doing pull-ups with a band for support... but I bet, if I tried I could do at least two with no support :D

You'll get there!!
  • bradwwood
    Options

There is a lot of stuff out there. P90x doesn't really come to the game with anything new. I think the real difference is how many things are mixed in, and the intensity level. I doubt there is anything out there that provides so much content for much less. .. You could piece together stuff for free if you wanted, but then you'd have to come up with your own program

Don't second guess yourself now.
  • bradwwood
    Options
    Did you set up your account on team beachbody.com? Make sure to do that, and schedule your routine in the SuperGym

I'm in there under the same name. Friend me if you want

Edit- oh, my coaches name is burstofjenergy. We have a facebook motivation group too. Has your coach gotten in touch with you? If you want to change, you have to email support
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I tried P90X at the very beginning of my weight loss (with a good 90+ lbs to lose) and while I could do most of it and modify what I couldn't, I found it a bit frustrating that I couldn't keep up with the people on the TV, but that's just me being silly.

However, I don't think anyone who is very new to exercise and/or new to yoga should do YogaX, it pretty much destroyed my hips and as a lot of the poses are for more experienced yogis, it's too easy to get injured in my opinion.
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

1st - You can do anything you put your mind to!
    2nd - There is a MFP group called "P90X/Insanity Game Changers" - very supportive group

I have to admit I was a bit overwhelmed when I got the DVD's 6 years ago. So much I stuffed them back on the shelf. I just wasn't ready. I dusted them off a month ago. Read all the paperwork/intros. Checked out beachbody.com. and then decided to start Nov 1st.

I'm on day 19 of 90 - doing P90X lean. I'm down 3.5 #'s, more energy, more confidence, better posture and more determined to finish the program. The key for me - yeah I can't do everything as fast or as perfect as the folks in the video - so I hit pause alot to catch up or learn the move. Sometimes I also break up the workout - rotating between cardio and P90X workout DVD.

Friend me... we can do it together! :)
  • Dr_Flo
    Dr_Flo Posts: 465
    Options
    You have nothing to lose with P90x, except weight and inches.

I did my first round 2 years ago and lost 27 pounds and still had a great deal of weight left to lose before goal. I am now 10 days away from completing this round and I have improved so much and lost inches and weight... I will post my results in about 12 days so I won't go into full details here.

THIS is what you have to know:

- Be prepared to be REALLY sore... but keep pushing play anyway and make Tylenol your friend (Edited to add that the pain is temporary)
    - You will have to modify and there is NOTHING wrong with it... just do your best!
    - This program is set up for 90 day increments but you should look at P365X... it needs to be a lifestyle change... I understand that NOW.

If you want support I am here for you girl!

You CAN do this... it is gonna be hard... how badly do you want your dream body? What is it worth?

I can agree with this whole heartedly.
    I did my first series of P90X 2 years ago.

Unfortunately I didnt use it as a lifestyle change, but simply a "quick fix"
    I did for the first time get back down to the weight I was in Highschool, but with a different physical make up.
    I was leaner and had substantially more muscle.

Because I didnt continue the program, I saw that my muscle over time became fat.

This program is anything but easy.. it takes time and patience. You can't look at it as a "quick fix" like I did or you'll
    just go right back to where you were before.

I love the line that they say, "Do your best and forget the rest"

Its the most true statement you can make about P90X.
    It's a progressive program. it may take you the full 90 days to be able to
    keep up with the workouts. But in your next itteration you'll be doing them full speed
    For the full 90 days. You wont be able to help but have better results.

I say do it! But do it with the understanding that change is inevidable if you put the time in.
    Press play, everyday and watch the pounds and inches melt away.

Im finally ready to start doing it again myself. In 7 days I will start my new challenge with P90X, I hope
    you can jump on this train. Its a ride that you'll never forget.
  • bradwwood
    Options
    I'm sure I'll do it a second time, but then I'll be looking for a shorter maintenance program. Right now I'm waking up before I go to work, and I don't think I'll be able to do that forever. I'll need a 30 minute per day thing to do for the long game
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options

Yes it helped me and worth doing. Supreme 90 day is $ 19.99 and just as effective.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I did P90X for a little while, and I have a lot of weight to lose. I was bored with it because I wanted something more upbeat with more cardio, so I got Turbo Fire, and now I do that. With P90X, you can modify it however you need to in order to be successful with it..that's the nice thing about it. I'm 44 lbs down, so I have about 70 more lbs to go, but my entire goal is 114 lbs, so I have lots to lose and I did fine with P90X. Nothing to be nervous about! I think you'll be fine. You can start slow and work your way up!
  • penrbrown
    Options

There is a lot of stuff out there. P90x doesn't really come to the game with anything new. I think the real difference is how many things are mixed in, and the intensity level. I doubt there is anything out there that provides so much content for much less. .. You could piece together stuff for free if you wanted, but then you'd have to come up with your own program

Don't second guess yourself now.

Sorry Brad. Didn't mean to call you a lady. :P

I'm still trying to figure out Beachbody. Not sure why but it seems like a very confusing website to me. Probably because I'm a point and click type internet user anything more complicated is too complicated. :P