From hating to loving RUNNING :)

Options
2»

Replies

• songbirdtree
    Options
    I can so relate - with exercise in general. I hate doing it all but once I get on track I start loving it. Good job keeping yourself committed!
  • roro1925
    roro1925 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Same here!! I HATED running and never thought I'd be at this point ever. I did my first 5k the first week of October in 32 minutes and I've been hooked ever since. Now I run 5 miles every day and absolutely LOVE it. Nothing quite like running outside...it's amazing!!
    Good for you and keep it up!! :)
  • pamcuster
    pamcuster Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Great thread!
    I wanna be you guys when I grow up! :)
    <3
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Any and all- please share tips!!! I hate to run- I have tried (been a while) even tried the intervals of walk 2 min, run 30 seconds, walk 1 minute, run 30 seconds- ect, ect. I am always out of breath and unable to do it. Fitness/cardio is not a problem for me, I can dance and do, for hours a week- but running...........how does one master the breathing? I can do the physical- just not the breathing...... (please no attitude answers- legit question)
  • Carol_123
    Carol_123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for writing this. It helps.
  • Meleahb
    Meleahb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'd NEVER ran in my life, at school I used to run with the Asthmatics in cross country hoping they have an attack so I'd have to stop and help them (apologies if I offend any asthmatics).

I decided since turning 40 that I should start ticking that bucket list and try running.

I joined the local 'Layzee Runners club that meet 3 times a week at 5.30am and do a 5km (3.1 miles). Interval running 12 week program 1st week Jog 1 minute, Walk 90 seconds 5 km (I thought I was going to die, 1 minute jog was a bloody long time). Got up to to the 8th week jog 8 minutes walk 2 minutes (I was on a roll). Then I got some virus that zapped ALL my energy for 3 weeks. Any to cut it short I went back this morning hoping to at least do 5 min jog (everybody was doing the all 5km jog) and I ended up jogging 3km (1.86 mile) without stopping, I only walked 4 mins and jog the rest (temp was 26C 78.8F getting a bit warm). ONE VERY HAPPY BUNNY :)

I'll must admit I don't LOVE jogging but I'm going to stick with it because the changes to my body are amazing (not necessarily on the scales)
  • IowaPrincess
    IowaPrincess Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    2 months ago I hated (and I mean HATED) running! Running 1 minute intervals was unbelievably hard and I would dread it alllll day long.

But yesterday I ran (well, OK I jogged) 3 miles in 37 minutes! I was going to walk the 3 miles back to the beginning of the trail, but after 2 miles I couldn't stand it anymore... I had to run! So I ran another mile and loved every minute of it. Being on the trail is the only thing I think about when I'm at work or lounging on the couch.

Just thought I would share in case you find yourself struggling to get started :heart: .

Did you feel like a three legged horse when you started running???
    Honestly, thats why i stopped.... i felt so clunky and embarrassed. :cry:
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    great job! runnin is truly awesome!
  • hclark77
    Options
    Great job!!!
    I am new to this site. I need some motivation and dedication support :)

I started running a few months back. I, like you, HATED it. I couldn't run for 2 mins to save my life.

Now I love to run and moreover, the "runners high" I get afterwards. My goal is to ultimately train for a full marathon

Keep it up!!! :)
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    34340015878823038_6ZvVEOfx_c.jpg

This is my feeling (or was) I am NOT a runner but this is the one exercise I have always hated so I challenged myself and signed up for several 5Ks and oh **** I think I like it - i still hate running alone (I dont push myself hard enough) BUT when I have run races my competitive nature kicks in -- I still look like a gorilla running (aint nothing pretty bout it!) but I am slowly learning to love it and def love how I feel when I am done
  • EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    Yay! I'm so glad you posted this I'm the same, a few weeks ago 5km was a struggle and on Sunday I did 15km and it was amazing.

Sadly most of my running is treadmill due to pollution but better than nothing and it means I enjoy outdoor runs even more when I can do them!
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. :heart:
  • Cruxthemystic
    Cruxthemystic Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine inspied me to loose weight. I started following what he had done and #1 was joining this site #2 was running. OMG when I started I couldn't run a block, really I couldn't. My knees hurt and I was sure I wasn't going to be able to do this. But I got got some good running shoes and did knee strenghting exercises. I took my time and walked mostly. I looked at the C2K program but I had to get to where I could run 1 minute first.

I signed up for a 5k and thought I am out of mind. The date looming ahead for the race was a driving point for me. I ran more walked less increased my distance. Day of the race 2 miles was the most I had done but I was going to finish that was my goal. I ran most of the way, walked some. I ened up finishing at 42 minutes not a great time but I ran across the finish line. It was an amazing moment for me to realize I did it!!!!

I now look forward to my runs. Increasing my speed and distance. It's all on me and what I can do. Going to do another 5k in the spring and try to run the whole way and cut my time. Oh yeah I'm learning to love it.