Why do I comfort eat?

Options
This is a rhetorical question.

Replies

• H217
    H217 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Because it's a coping mechanism. This is a rhetorical answer.

A little more seriously though, new channels for emotion (provided they aren't also destructive in some way) are wonderful things.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options

A little more seriously though, new channels for emotion (provided they aren't also destructive in some way) are wonderful things.

You're absolutely right.

I feel so lousy right now. I want a hug :cry:
  • ifonlyy
    Options
    I feel your pain :(
  • LisaMarie8713
    Options
    I do the same thing... and its when I'm bored and alone... good luck! I'm working on it!
  • seabee78
    seabee78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I used to think I wasn't a comfort eater, but now I know I am a stress eater which is essentially the same thing. Some days I'll have my healthy (intended) lunch already entered into MFP and the numbers look so good, and then I'll have a crappy mid-morning/afternoon and all my planning will go out the window. I'll be in such a pissy mood that I'll want to get the hell out of my office and eat a Big Mac Meal or something equally bad.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    it's in the name...comfort...we are prone to do what is comfortable. It's what we grew up on and what we seek that is familiar, it's also sometimes what kills our diets or lifestyle changes. I have tried to stay out of my comfort zone and work on new traditions. Like Thanksgiving, I went for a walk after eating that is my new tradition. I will go for a walk each year from now on.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    As the question suggests, for comfort. You need to find another way to relieve that stress such as exercising, music or any other hobby or interest. Keep reminding yourself that you eat for comfort but what happens after, you usually feel worse, yes? Try to find the cause behind it, and write down those emotions, talk to someone, etc instead of letting it out on food or your body. xx
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Look for other ways to comfort yourself, here's a few suggestions;

- a nice warm bubble bath with a good magazine
    - talk a walk in a scenic place
    - a big, steaming mug of tea
    - Cozy up on the couch and watch your favourite movie (with that cup of tea!)
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Is it Probable that most, if not all people "comfort eat" or emotionally eat. After all, what feeling is NOT present when one eats. I don't think it's about the comfort and/or emotion, I believe it is about the STOPPING. Those that lose control of what they eat and how they eat have the problem. So emotionally eat or eat for comfort, but when you can not control it THEN you have an Eating Disorder! If your eating is so out of control that it is causing you emotional/physical/psychological pain, then it has become unmanageable. AND THAT has to First be acknowledged before you or anyone can help themselves.

Just like any other addict, I don't play with My addiction; I don't call it stuff it is not. Many people eat food to comfort them, but most have a limit...5 or 6 oreos with milk, the addict a whole sleeve or bag; a bowl of mac and cheese, the addict the whole pot -eventually; a regular bag of chips, the addict a family bag of chips...Which side are YOU on?
  • seashellmoore
    Options
    Here's a big hug for you! (((((YOU)))))
  • mikeyg164
    Options

+1
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    It's instant comfort/gratification. It's way easier than trying to work through emotions or deal with the situations that triggered the emotional reaction. It's also easier to eat than it is to, say, go pound the pavement for an hour which also helps with stress management. Exercising like that is never going to be as easy, convenient, or pleasurable as stuffing my face with comfort food. :brokenheart:

I've been there. It's a hard habit to break for sure.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Short answer - because it works, even if just for a moment.

Lately I've been wondering why it is that I often think that mindlessly eating junk food, or anything, to excess is a way of being gentle with myself. In fact, it is far more gentle to eat well and moderately and just feel what I'm feeling. But it's a lot harder. I think the tricky thing about feeling bad is that we can't imagine ever feeling good again. This, like everything, will fade away.

It's tough. I hope things pick up for you.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I used to comfort eat because I was taught that way as a child. Not so much anymore.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Short answer - because it works, even if just for a moment.

It does work very well...but ONLY for a moment.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else but I learned that food is love when I grew up. Feeding us was my Mom's way of expressing her love for us. And she did it for nearly all of her 90 years. She didn't know how to be affectionate. Food is still a comfort to me but I am learning to comfort myself in other ways too.