Dogs and Cycling

Options
I'd really like a safe way to cycle with my dog (small to medium height spaniel) has anyone done this? I believe there are some products available - but I'm reluctant to spend without knowing if they really work. Thanks.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people on a dog forum that use the Springer (I think that's the name). I haven't heard anything negative on it.
    I have never been brave enough to try, sorry.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Unless you have the dog secured in something, I wouldn't.

The dog could run under the crank or wheels at any time, which is not good for either of you.
  • hattie491145
    hattie491145 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people on a dog forum that use the Springer (I think that's the name). I haven't heard anything negative on it.
    I have never been brave enough to try, sorry.

I had a look on amazone - thank you - some mixed reviews, mostly not good if you are a shortie like me :( looks like ill have to learn to roller skate LOL
  • hattie491145
    Options
    I completely agree - safety first :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Unless you have the dog secured in something, I wouldn't.

The dog could run under the crank or wheels at any time, which is not good for either of you.

Yeah, there are products out there, like the Springer I mentioned, that are designed to keep the dog away from the bike for that reason.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The Springer looks interesting. http://www.springeramerica.com
    It's pictured with medium to large dogs; I wonder how small to medium dogs do with it. I have 3 mini Australian shepherds; I'm pretty sure the largest would be fine, but not so sure about the smaller two.

Of course, we have biked with them on just regular leashes, and I'm sure it's better than that!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I tried cycling with my dog once...after faceplanting on asphalt never again! definitely recommend running with her as an alternative!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    yeah, it has a lot to do with the type of dog, too. If the dog is well behaved and follows commands well, I have seen the spring thing work well. But the owner spent so much time commanding the dog in order to be safe that he couldn't enjoy the ride.
  • hattie491145
    Options
    Thanks all for your thoughts:)
  • TigressPat
    Options
    If you trained your dog properly, maybe, otherwise it's an accident waiting to happen!

I run with mine.
    I want to try skiiing at some point, but still no snow!