Toning tummy and tips!

Options
Im slim, reached my goal of 112lbs, but my tummy is flabby and I still have extra fat around my hips. I have really thin arms , i look out of proportion!!

Please help, I don't know whats the best way to tone those areas?

Ugh,the title is meant to say toning tummy and hips:explode:

Replies

• ANGELAWHALEY
    Options
    TRY AB RIPPER X FROM P90X. ALSO YOGA X.
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    bump i'd like to know too! thats the point i'm at!
  • yacekl
    yacekl Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Im slim, reached my goal of 112lbs, but my tummy is flabby and I still have extra fat around my hips. I have really thin arms , i look out of proportion!!

Please help, I don't know whats the best way to tone those areas?

Ugh,the title is meant to say toning tummy and hips:explode:

Hi I just got back from workinf with a trainer who is working all my abs. her advice to me was go out and buy some good magazines that show ab exercises. she also told me to really look through the magazine before i buy because some times they say abs workout on cover and only have two in them . But anyway she had me do 13 different ones and you can really feel it working that part. especially the lower abs.
  • tntrav44
    tntrav44 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump...I'm interested to see what everyone has to say about this! My tummy is my definite problem area!
  • ErikaSudz
    Options
    Abripper X and Yoga X got my vote too!

Erika
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Seems like we have 2 similar posts going:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/80267-core-exercises
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hate to be the barer or bad news (at least, you might think its bad news, but maybe not, since there is a solution). Sounds like you probably reached your goal mostly through calorie restriction and not so much through exercise (I realise they're two sides of the same coin, but I think you understand the distinction).

If that's the case, you've probably lost a decent amount of muscle mass (the bad news) because you may not have been constantly rebuilding the muscles that break down through natural processes, which is accellerated if you maintain a calorie deficit. Very low protein can also speed this up (though that doesn't mean very high protein is healthy).

Ab exercises wont reduce fat on your abs, they strengthen your abs. That may be what you're looking for if you simply have weak abs, but it sounds like you still have some body fat you're trying to get rid of. In this case its a matter of the same old story - maintain a small calorie deficit, but make sure you're exercising and getting a little bit of protein after exercise. If you're arms are too thin, you don't want to exclude arm and shoulder strengthening exercises. Strengthen your whole body, work on your cardio fitness and keep those calories slightly less than required for maintaining weight.

This is pretty much the only formula for a fit healthy trim body. If you don't want to exercise, you don't have the option of fit or toned. You can still aim for petite without much exercise, but that's a different image and needs very small muscle mass and wont be as healthy or as functional. Toned is not the same as built of course - you don't have to become ripped, and almost certainly wont unless you go to real extremes.

I know it sounds like bad news, but doing futile stuff like endless ab exercises will just discourage you eventually when you realise it isn't working.
  • Essence320
    Essence320 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Ugh! Flutter kicks. They kick my *kitten*.:laugh:
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hate to be the barer or bad news (at least, you might think its bad news, but maybe not, since there is a solution). Sounds like you probably reached your goal mostly through calorie restriction and not so much through exercise (I realise they're two sides of the same coin, but I think you understand the distinction).

If that's the case, you've probably lost a decent amount of muscle mass (the bad news) because you may not have been constantly rebuilding the muscles that break down through natural processes, which is accellerated if you maintain a calorie deficit. Very low protein can also speed this up (though that doesn't mean very high protein is healthy).

Ab exercises wont reduce fat on your abs, they strengthen your abs. That may be what you're looking for if you simply have weak abs, but it sounds like you still have some body fat you're trying to get rid of. In this case its a matter of the same old story - maintain a small calorie deficit, but make sure you're exercising and getting a little bit of protein after exercise. If you're arms are too thin, you don't want to exclude arm and shoulder strengthening exercises. Strengthen your whole body, work on your cardio fitness and keep those calories slightly less than required for maintaining weight.

This is pretty much the only formula for a fit healthy trim body. If you don't want to exercise, you don't have the option of fit or toned. You can still aim for petite without much exercise, but that's a different image and needs very small muscle mass and wont be as healthy or as functional. Toned is not the same as built of course - you don't have to become ripped, and almost certainly wont unless you go to real extremes.

I know it sounds like bad news, but doing futile stuff like endless ab exercises will just discourage you eventually when you realise it isn't working.

Quoted for truth, +1, and all sorts of "right on!" fireworks.

"Toning" is, unfortunately, turning into one of those misleading buzzwords that implies results in ways that are not possible to achieve in the way it's being treated.
  • samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Good Post. I've been saying this for years. It seems that FAR too many people are worried about what number they see when they step on a scale. Everyone cares about their weight and not what their actual body composition is. unfortunately, that usually means that they will do whatever it takes to lose "weight." in the end, it usually means low protein and lots of diet and exercise. As a result, their body burns off lean muscle mass. in the end, sure they reach their "ideal weight" but they have a MUCH higher body fat percentage and they don't have the tone body they are looking for.

I really wish people would worry less about weight and more about health and body composition. But I suppose that will never change.
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    brb. i need help on this one too.