Metamucil

Options
I've been having a bad pain in my side. It's above my kidney around where my stomach is. Never had a pain like this before, and I haven't been doing any new types of exercise or eating any new foods. I've been taking metamucil powder for a few days now and I'm wondering if some gelled up fiber could be causing an obstruction somewhere in my GI tract. Has this happened to anybody?

Replies

• GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You need to start slowly with the metamucil and you need to drink lots of water with it. If you dont you can get even more constipated. Also when starting more fiber, make time to sit on the toilet. Give yourself 10 min in the morning and before bed. You may be used to ignoring your body's signals to go. If you feel better after having a BM, it was probably from the extra fiber.

I know a few people that started consuming too much fiber too quickly and not enough water, and they had a terrible time.
  • eyeliner128
    eyeliner128 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree - any time you take a fiber supplement, make sure to start small and drink more water than you normally would. Otherwise it'll make your stool bulky with no lubricant to help it get out.
  • ddt411
    ddt411 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I take it regularly and I know if I don't make sure to get enough water I feel rotten...