walking for losing

Options
2»

Replies

• Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    until the brutal midwest wind came in...I walked 4 miles a day in about an hour. (nice pace..and heart rate up)...30 lbs lost doing that since July...and of course by changing my eating habits.

I now walk in the house to dvd's and on my stepper.
  • tinytasha7
    tinytasha7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've heard of several studies, all contradicting, of course, some that say that walking doesn't help weight loss, and some that say it does.

I don't really think it matters. I think you become fitter if you walk. I know when I walk I can breathe easier, and I feel good. I can't say I've particularly lost weight, as I haven't yet tracked any walking, but I know it certainly isn't going to hurt.

I also believe it will prepare you for other activities, but I don't think it will help someone my weight (currently 312) lose everything by itself.
  • RayMan354
    Options
    yes.. combined with diet changes too. my aunt lost 60 pounds by walking and making changes in her diet.
    the only downside was that she had a lot of loose skin . if she had been doing weight training and strength exercises to keep as much of her lean body mass as possible while she lost then this wouldnt have been an issue. now she's stating to work on a strength training plan, but it would have saved time had she just done the weights at the same time

I was over 400 lbs before I started walking, and now I am 354 lbs (hence my username). Walking is a good total body workout, but like the quote stated, I'm gonna have to start some sort of weight training or I'm gonna be a skinny flabby mess once I reach my goal weight of 200 lbs. :laugh:
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    i was wondering if it really works. i've started this week walking 60 min a day 7/7 days a week. i'm dieting of course,does walking and only walking like phisycal activity help losing fat ?

I walk using Leslie Sansone's walking off the pounds dvd's which has cardio. I've lost 10 lbs, but I don't know if it helps lose the fat around the stomach. I try and tuck my stomach in, but I don't always remember to do so.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Hello:
    I've noticed that walking does help. However, you must get your heart rate up in order to lose weight. You can go online and check what your heart rate should be when wanting to lose weight. Walking helps! Good luck!

Is this really true? I've often wondered that myself, because I walk a LOT every day, but not to where my heart-rate is up very much. However, it's still physical activity and the process of moving our bodies takes energy...way more energy than just sitting around. Hence, calories burned.

Off to the internet! (I'm sure I've looked it up before, but I can't recall the specifics.)

doing anything takes energy, even sitting on the couch. if your heart rate is barely above what it does when you're at rest then you aren't getting as much of a benefit as when your heart rate has increased.

as incorrect as the idea of a "fat burning" zone is for cardio, this is what my aunt went buy. as she got fitter then she had to work a little harder to keep her heart rate in that zone.
  • kulhanekm
    Options
    I have found that dieting alone doesn't work. If I can walk even 45 minutes a day 4 to 5 days a week I will loose about a lb. or 2 a week. There was a few times I didn't walk for a whole week and gained what I had lost. I really notice in my stomach area if I walk it goes down and that is exactly where I need to loose. I love this site to keep track of calories and it sure opens my eyes to just how many calories there are in things I had no idea about. My Daughter has been on it a couple of months and she has lost 16 lbs. She looks amazing and she got me started. I am hoping to have the same results as she has but she is 20 years younger and does exercise more. I am 70 and she is 50. The good thing about what we have been doing is we actually eat all of the foods we like but cut back on the portions. If you go into the site and put all of the things you are going to eat ahead of time I find that that is all I eat. It works for me.
  • athryn
    athryn Posts: 59
    Options
    i was wondering if it really works. i've started this week walking 60 min a day 7/7 days a week. i'm dieting of course,does walking and only walking like phisycal activity help losing fat ?

Worked great for me for most of my weight lost. I started out with 30 minute walks daily, and then increased them to 1 hour when 30 minutes seemed too easy.

I started adding in hiking once a week, and only fairly recently have I added some elliptical training as well, as I can't really walk any faster, and felt I needed a little bump of intensity to get myself through the last 30ish pounds.

One of the things that helped me stay motivated was listening to audiobooks while I walk, plus the need to get my dog exercised as well. :)
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yes it does work. Facebook has a group "steps to good health" They have challenges an prizes for the winners. The woman who started it lost alot of weight just walking. Check them out
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

I walk using Leslie Sansone's walking off the pounds dvd's which has cardio. I've lost 10 lbs, but I don't know if it helps lose the fat around the stomach. I try and tuck my stomach in, but I don't always remember to do so.

I love Leslie Sansone. I have several of her DVD's & feel like I get a good work out from them.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I lost 22kg pretty much just walking on the treadmill. I intensified the workouts by using the incline and also for something different walked backwards on it.

Edited: to say I never walked for more than 45mins a day.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've been walking 3-4 miles/60-90 mins a day, 5 days a week since end of Sep/beginning of Oct. Lost 15 pounds so far. Also made small changes to diet and started watching what I'm eating. It works though :)
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 80 pounds with nutritional changes/portion control and walking (brisk pace for 45 minutes) at least 5 days a week. Like others have mentioned it really is about the pace.
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes! Walking is amazing & has helped me lose a ton of weight. I have since taken up running too but I still love my walks and they are pretty decent on calorie burn for me (using HRM). Good luck!
  • likemeinvisible
    Options

No, not at your weight. From your goal I'm guessing you have a low weight already. Low weight means low burn, very low. I've spent 3-4 hours a day walking as fast as I can and saw little to no improvement. When I started running I lost in three weeks what I've been trying to lose for six month.
    You can of course only walk or not do anything but keep a caloric deficit and lose the weight, but walking, at your weight, is not an exercise.
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 55 of my 77 lbs walking and 1200 calories per day. I walked 6 to 9 miles per day six days a week. It definitely definitely works. I have started running now, but I still walk a lot.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options

No, not at your weight. From your goal I'm guessing you have a low weight already. Low weight means low burn, very low. I've spent 3-4 hours a day walking as fast as I can and saw little to no improvement. When I started running I lost in three weeks what I've been trying to lose for six month.
    You can of course only walk or not do anything but keep a caloric deficit and lose the weight, but walking, at your weight, is not an exercise.

Walking IS an exercise. Doesn't matter what you weigh.

The less you weigh, the less of a calorie burn you get, but that's true of any physical activity.

Would you say running for 4 minutes is not exercise? Only 40 minutes?

Exercise. Noun
    Activity requiring physical effort, carried out esp. to sustain or improve health and fitness.

I lost my first 50 pounds with only walking as exercise.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options

Walking IS an exercise. Doesn't matter what you weigh.

The less you weigh, the less of a calorie burn you get, but that's true of any physical activity.

Would you say running for 4 minutes is not exercise? Only 40 minutes?

Exercise. Noun
    Activity requiring physical effort, carried out esp. to sustain or improve health and fitness.

I lost my first 50 pounds with only walking as exercise.

On a leveled ground, there's a limit to how fast you can walk. At that speed, the highest speed, if you are trained and have no significant weight, it is no effort. I can walk for hours and my heart rate will be around 80 bpm. 100 if I'm really pushing it. More than that requires uphill and even than I can barely hit 110. That is not exercise for me because it does not improve or sustain my current level of fitness.