Superbowl Help!!!

sjennings22
sjennings22 Posts: 5
edited September 20 in Recipes
Anyone know of any good recipies for Superbowl? I am thinking about guac, but I need some type of chips. Also, I am wanting to make a pizza type thing. Just looking for anything good, that will cut down on the calories normally consumed during Superbowl.

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    You could do something easy like pita's and hummus, toast your pita's then cut into 8 triangles for dipping.

If you don't like greek, try turkey wraps with light/fat free onions and chives cream cheese. I made them for Christmas and they worked out great. Take a 6 inch tortilla and spread lightly with cream cheese then layer with shredded lettuce and then layer with a couple of slices of deli turkey meat...roll tightly then slice. Then EAT...yum

Of course a bowl full of grapes or strawberries or melons is always a great hit.

If you want something meatier, there are Bryan (don't know if you can get this brand) all Beef hot dogs with whole wheat light buns and that is 200 calories per dog. Not the healthiest, but better than some other hot dogs.

You could do baked tostitos and salsa as well.

I just realized I didn't give you any ideas for pizza...we use flatouts or pita bread for pizza dough. And don't put meat, lots and lots of veggies with a 2% milk cheese product.

Good luck
  • meganwojo
    meganwojo Posts: 221 Member
    i agree with ckmama...baked tostitos are sooo good..and so much healthier then the original. Fruit salads are great, even a huge regular salad with all the veggies!
  • Essence320
    Essence320 Posts: 154 Member
    I always get requests for homemade salsa and I serve it with baked tostitos and toasted whole wheat pitas.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    for your pizza, dont use sauce, just use tomatoes as the base/sauce this will reduce your sodium and sugar levels. keep your cheese sprinkled lightly and buy a light cheese, and load it up with lots of veggies. get a whole wheat crust. Enjoy!
  • The wrap that ckmama talked about sounds like what my sister made only she had a pickle in the middle. Sounds weird but that made the dish! It was soooo good. We could make that :). I'm trying to encourage someone to go over to your place...lol.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    I LOVE guac!!! If you want a lower calorie version, try mixing it with some low fat or light mayo. And instead of chips, try toasting low calorie pitas. I buy Joseph's Mini flax & oat bran pitas, which are 60 calories each. Sure, they are thin and leave you wanting more, but they are really just a vehicle for the guac, right? :wink: And if you are going to be eating lots of super bowl food, anyway you can cut calories will be helpful.
  • OK it's time for a guy's opinion.....i'm all for hummus, I recently discovered it and LOVEit, but, THERE'S NO WAY I'M TELLING MY SUPERBOWL BUDDIES ABOUT IT!!! lol

Seriously, they're gonna be eating healty without knowing it, i've been working on it all week. here's what I bought:

-Stagg chili, Silverado beef : 260 calories/ serving (there's also a vegetarian kind)
    -Rice nacho chips, they taste great and are lower cal than anything I could find at a regular grocery store, there's the "whole weath" version of all the regular kind, but they all have the same amount of calories as the white one...
    -I bought medium tostitos salsa, 15 calories per seving(most salsa are pretty low in caolries)
    -i forgot about the guacamole, my wife makes an ecxelent one with shrimps!! but keep in mind that Avocados are pretty high in calories,

All I have to do now is controle the intake and I shouldn't go over 400-500 calories, with a good workout that morning I should make my goals!

:wink: :laugh: :wink: :laugh: :laugh: :wink: :laugh: :wink: :laugh:
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    It's good to hear the Rice chips are good I have a coupon for them (thrifty mom here) and am going shopping tomorrow. I haven't seen them at the local Wally world, but maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.

Oh yes...once you discover the joy of mashed up chick peas there is no going back..:laugh:
  • as much as i love NFL the superbowl full of Dominos advertisments gives me the munchies i would make your own pizza
    wholemeal base tin of tomatoes and mozerella cheese and fill it with high protein meat and fish
  • as much as i love NFL the superbowl full of Dominos advertisments gives me the munchies i would make your own pizza
    wholemeal base tin of tomatoes and mozerella cheese n fill with protein meat and fish
  • :smile: what's your recipe for homemade salsa? i love to make things from scratch
  • Guacamole is a great appetizer that is filling and tasty.

Each Haas Avocado is about 160 calories. Pick up a McCormick Guacamole spice packet that has 60 calories in it. Add about 2 tablespoons of fat free sour cream for about 30 calories.

Let's say you have 3 avocados, 1 spice packet, and 6 tablespoons of fat free sour cream. For a big bowl of guacamole.....the grand total is: 720 calories. And you know that you are going to share that with lots of friends! Make sure you add some acid (a little bit of lime juice) to help the guac from turning brown.

Yum yum yum!
  • Essence320
    Essence320 Posts: 154 Member
    :smile: what's your recipe for homemade salsa? i love to make things from scratch

It's actually a Pico de Gallo but to my football friends anything you put on a chip is a dip or a salsa.:laugh:

1 lb. ripe red tomatoes, finely diced (with juice)
    ½ cup finely diced white onion
    ½ cup seeded, finely diced cucumber
    3 tbsp. chopped cilantro
    4 serrano chiles, seeded and very finely diced
    1½ tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    ½ tsp. salt

Stir all ingredients together in a medium glass or plastic bowl and adjust the seasonings as you like. Let it stand for 30 minutes then serve. It makes about 2.5 cups. And its all veggies!

I loooove spicy foods so this has a little kick. For milder Pico use jalapenos just make sure to remove the seeds and veins b/c that's where the heat is. For more heat you can add a little finely diced habanero. (yum)
This discussion has been closed.