women over 60 who need help!

tekla
tekla Posts: 4
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
I just got onto to this website yesterday, and would like to know if there are other 60 yrs older women that are having a hard time losing weight. I never had this problem until 3 yrs. ago when I moved from Baja Mexico to Orange Beach,Alabama. I got on HRT therapy last year, the natural kind Bio-identicals. I have within the last 3 weeks have been walking 30 min. every day plus doing weight exercizes, and Bob Greenes new video tape. I seem to be firmer but the scale scares me. WhAT the hell can I do ? Please help:glasses:

Replies

• spaniel
    spaniel Posts: 468
    I turn 60 next month and the weight the past few years has just been piling on. I joined MFP this week and found a lot of useful info. One major thing I discovered was that I was not eating enough and had put my body into starvation mode. Good luck with your journey.
  • Caralyn
    Caralyn Posts: 124 Member
    Tekla,

I am 65 and I too face the same challenge that you do. I had two total knee replacements a few years ago (at separate times) and my hips aren't all that great either. Consequently, my exercise is somewhat limited. I can do about 15 minutes on my treadmill and I can do about 30 minutes on my recumbent stationery bicycle. I need to lose about 100 pounds (although I don't look like it) and the challenge is a daily one. I would LOVE to communicate with "over 60" people and hopefully get the support that I so desperately need. I can provide you with my email address if you would like.

Caralyn
  • Caralyn
    Spaniel,

See my message here to Tekla. I would enjoy communicating with you, as our "over 60" challenges are somewhat different than other age groups.

Caralyn
  • lwbrozek
    lwbrozek Posts: 4 Member
    I may not be in your age group, but if you haven't had a thyroid test lately, make sure you do and that the doctor is using the new range. (normal is: .3-3.0) If your thyroid is over 3.0, you are hypothyroid and you won't be able to loose weight. In fact, being hypothyroid will cause you to gain weight.
  • Caralyn
    lwbrozek,
  • Caralyn
    As a matter of fact, my doctor just told me that my thyroid is a little sluggish. I just looked at my lab report again and the number is 5.220, so I'm thinking I may take her advice and go on some medication to alleviate this problem. Thanks for your reply.

Caralyn
  • spaniel
    spaniel Posts: 468
    Hi Caralyn,

How is your week going? I have been on this for about 10 days and still no weight loss - very frustrating! And...due to all the snow we are getting here in DC, my water aerobics classes are constantly being cancelled. Thank goodness for the treadmill.
    Saw that you have lost 8 lbs. so far - good work!!
  • Caralyn
    Hello Spaniel,

My week is going o.k. but my worst time of the day is evening, when all I want to do is snack. This is in addition to a sensible, satisfying supper. I try to do my stationery recumbent bike daily but that doesn't always happen because some days my hips just hurt too much. My weight is the same and I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't weigh myself daily. What do you think?

Yes, I've been watching the weather you've been having there in D.C. and yes, it's a good thing you have your treadmill. How much weight are you trying to lose? I could easily stand to lose 100 pounds and I am completely dreading the summer heat with all the weight I'm carrying around. That's part of why I am so desperate to lose a bunch of weight. If you would like, I will provide you with my email address and you could do the same - so we could be weight loss buddies. Communicating through MFP can be a drag sometimes because you have to go way onto the last page to see the latest posts. Let me know what you think and good luck this week!

Caralyn

P.S. What is your real name?
  • nettiemacd
    nettiemacd Posts: 26 Member
    Hi! I'm the new gal on the blog, 58 (yes a youngster to the 60+) I plan on being here for you! I'm a success story from Beachbody and am working at getting rid of my final stubborn fat. I have recently lost 40lbs and have changed my life around. You can do it to! You're here, so I know you took that first step! I'm starting a new post called Stubborn Fat say Goodbye. Hope to see you there!
  • JNAKITA
    JNAKITA Posts: 1
    I've taken medication for my thyroid for 32 years & its not the thyroid problem or the medication that causes me to gain & keep the weight on - its the direct amount of food I take in - in proportion to the activity I put out.

Its taken me 2-1/2 months to lose 12 lbs. I eat out a couple of days in a row & gained 2 back, I still have 10 to go - now 12.

Its VERY frustrating that its not coming off faster & I have to be so diligent about EVERYTHING that goes in my mouth..
  • I too am over 60 and experiencing the same thing. I don't have advice for you, but I will watch to see how others reply to your posts.
  • I am relieved to find that I am not the only one being this frustrated. My insurance coverage depends on me being able to lose 1/2 lb a week and it just isn't happening and I am panicking. This probably doesn't help either. But my counselor has encouraged me to continue doing what I am doing. The being diligent about everything that goes into my mouth, is a good comment and I am having to mentally get over the idea of not being able to eat what I want when I want.
  • Caralyn
    I am 65 and was told last fall that my thyroid is a little "sluggish", but I'm already on blood pressure and cholesterol medication. I'm trying to do this on my on with the help of MFP. I've lost 17 pounds since January - is that slow or what!? I have serious issues with my hips and some days I can hardly put one foot in front of the other. I had total knee replacement on each knee a couple years ago and I'm dreading facing the inevitable - hip replacement. I have some things going on in my life right now and this couldn't be a worse time to consider any more surgery. So.......I'm just trying to drop a bunch of weight in a slow, orderly manner - even as frustrating as it may be. Exercise is few and far between for me and I know the weight would come off faster if I was able to do some reasonable exercise. I know swimming is a good option but that's not in the cards right now either. Some times I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. How about you?
This discussion has been closed.