work out socks ?

Options
I just wanted to ask if there is such a thing ? I have started to train very regularly on my treadmill, but also noticed that my feet are not comfortable. Sometimes i feel like the socks are rubbing on my skin or that the front seams ( on the toe side ) are pressing on my toes and causing the discomfort.. so i was wondering - are there any " special " socks " that are designed just for long time
walking/jogging.. s ince i mostly spend 60-90-150 minutes on the treadmill - about 5x a week..

Replies

• SharonDelorey
    Options
    Personally, I believe workout socks make a difference over regular cotton socks. They wick away moisture and i find my feet aren't as tired and sore after high intensity workouts. I considered splurging on the $10+ a pair brand name ones, but tried the Walmart ones first. They work well and were a fraction of the price. I'm not sure about the exact amount, but I think they were $5-7 for 2 pair.
    Hope that helps
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    They have nylon (or something like that) socks at running stores. I've had a few pair and they rub my feet a LOT more than a nice, tight, plush cotton sock. But that's me. My dad (former marathoner) loved them. Maybe try a place like that? I'm sure they can point you to great sock options!
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    maybe your runners are fitted wrong, I have the same problems with my current pair and that,s what it is :wink:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I have a horrible problem with getting blisters with running. I wear double layer socks that have coolmax wicking material.
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yes - i have those blisters all the time- either on my toes- on the sides.. or on the bottom of my food like in the middle of the foot also kind of sideways..

I don't know if it is the shoes- but it feels more like it's just the socks that are rubbing on my skin.. so first i will check out the socks dept. before changing the shoes.. but i never really paid attnt. to the socks.. never thought there's a big diff. but i guess i will check out the sports store..

Thanks everyone..
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    Check out the C 9 socks at Target I got a 3 pack for about $10(I think, it has been a while) The are thin socks and made with a wicking material. I just bout a pair of thorlo socks they have more cushioning in the ball of the foot and Heal area. They were $14 for one pair. But I wanted something more breathable and with a bit more cushioning. I am doing a marathon on the 21st.
  • majorod
    Options
    Just found a really nice pair of socks. New Balance elite running features reflective strip, arch support and a high needle count which gives it a close to skin fit. Got for a deal at $1.99 pair from Ross otherwise available at Nordstrom for $6.00. BTW, I found an awesome pair of running shoes called Z Coils I can run easily 3- 4 miles no issues. Whereas I used to get shin splints at 1 mile with NB running shoes.
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    You can get an assessment of your shoes in a good sport-shoe store, it will usualy be free. Make sure you pick a reputable place like The Running Room, I've been to 2 different ones and they are usualy very honnest. They also sell everything related to running so you would find socks there too for sure, check them out online...

http://www.runningroom.com/hm/

Good luck!

JF

P.S: I've been using Fila shorties for a couple of year now...very confortable and you can get them for pretty cheap at Costco!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Check out the C 9 socks at Target I got a 3 pack for about $10(I think, it has been a while) The are thin socks and made with a wicking material. I just bout a pair of thorlo socks they have more cushioning in the ball of the foot and Heal area. They were $14 for one pair. But I wanted something more breathable and with a bit more cushioning. I am doing a marathon on the 21st.

Yep, I just bought a 5 pack of the C9 running socks from Target (but I think on sale for $7?). They are good! I also like the Asics running socks but they are more expensive!
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    wow - thank you guys for all the suggestions and responses. I will defenitely check target and ross- and i never knew i could have a " shoe assesment ? " wow- that's awesome.. Thankyou for the tip - i will do that too.

Today i have downloaded from the i tunes a podcast called 0 to 5 k - it's about 9 weeks in duration- i'm not a runner - well not since i have been married and had my kids ( about 13 years n ow ) and i have been somehow scared of runing - because of my weight but i'm seriously thinking to get back into it, to just " beat it " and do it.. so i will see how this podcast works out.. and i will do it a day at a time, i know i won't be running 10 minutes at a time at 6-7 mph right of the start- but eventually i guess if i just keep trying i will be able to do it, right ? ..
    please say right :))
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    wow - thank you guys for all the suggestions and responses. I will defenitely check target and ross- and i never knew i could have a " shoe assesment ? " wow- that's awesome.. Thankyou for the tip - i will do that too.

Today i have downloaded from the i tunes a podcast called 0 to 5 k - it's about 9 weeks in duration- i'm not a runner - well not since i have been married and had my kids ( about 13 years n ow ) and i have been somehow scared of runing - because of my weight but i'm seriously thinking to get back into it, to just " beat it " and do it.. so i will see how this podcast works out.. and i will do it a day at a time, i know i won't be running 10 minutes at a time at 6-7 mph right of the start- but eventually i guess if i just keep trying i will be able to do it, right ? ..
    please say right :))

If you find a "Running room" in your locality, they also offer running clinics, Begginners, building up to 5k, building up to 1/2 marathon ect...they also have free running groups at all lvl, they get together at a local spot once a week and just go running as a group! IT's so much more motivating than running alone!!