How can I lose 30lbs in 6 months?

Options
Im currently 5'5" and 155lbs. I want to lose 30lbs by my birthday in June. If I start December first than I have until the end of May. How should I go about losing the 30lbs? I need a good exercise plan to stick to and good advice for eating clean and healthy.

Replies

• schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to do research and see what applies to your lifestyle. You can search the discussion boards for questions pertaining to exercise and diet, even search "30lbs in 6 months" and something similar is bound to come up!
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    The old fashioned way...diet and exercise. I hope that your time here on MFP will show you the advantage to a lifelong healthy lifestyle change. It's great to have a goal like 30 pounds in 6 months but hopeful you will continue after you reach your goal. Good luck!
  • Janelle173
    Janelle173 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I am using the 17 day diet as a guide for eating clean/healthy (more often than not). and i am using jillian michaels 30 day shred right now...then i intend on getting her body revolution jan 1, which is a 90 day program. (both programs have 30 minutes a day work outs-which is great for someone like myself with a baby, school, internship, etc.) i will continue to use the 17 day diet as my guide for healthy eating, and counting calories.

before everyone gets on here and starts talking crap about the 17 day diet (cus heaven forbid we mention the d word. lol)...it is not just 17 days and it is not a crash diet. it is a lot like the atkins (so i have heard) the first cycle...then you add in other foods in the other cycles...My body is extremely sensitive to carbs and of course, those are my weakness. so, to inhibit my carb intake is a very good thing for me.

Anyways, this is working for me so far and I am assuming it will work for me in the long run. I hope to be down to between 120 and 130 by next summer (currently fluctuate between 164-166, 5' .25" tall)....but i could be lower than that if i really stay eating clean, mind my calories and consistently follow the work out plans. all things i tend to follow more loosely than i should.

i hope you find something that does work for you :) Good luck.

*edited to add in my current weight as well as my height*
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Just set your goals on here for a pound a week and if you track carefully, ie. weigh all your food you will be close.
    I've lost 34 since August 1st. Oh, I also exercise strength and cardio for at least 45 minutes four times a week.
  • TaLisa08
    TaLisa08 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time sticking to my 1200 calorie goal, I just have a really big appetite. Unless I workout to add in some extra calories, at the end of the day I am still hungry and that is where I end up ruining the entire day by binging. I also am afraid of topping out, not being able to lose the rest of the weight after getting halfway there.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I just plugged in your numbers and for your height and weight, even at sedentary, you should be able to eat at least 1500 cals. at a 15% deficit...
  • Gumbie7
    Gumbie7 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will work for you but some wonderful things that have helped me along the way are: For a month I have been taking phentermine 30 mg (this stops my binging), I exercise 3-4 a week, and I use some great websites for recipe ideas. My favorite blog is Undressed Skeleton, the lady who put it together has great, everyday ideas, for lower calorie meals. The best part is that her food ideas taste wonderful. There's another site called civilized caveman, and paleoplan.com...I like gluten free, but I don't eat like that all the time, I just learned a lot about cooking vegetables and fruits from the paleo sites. I've learned over the last year the only way I stick to it all, is watching my calories, and eating what I want, which is pretty healthy, and two trying to find time to squeeze in a workout. I still have a long ways to go, but these are a few things that have helped me. I know the use of phentermine is a hot topic, but if you take it and still eat and work out, it's very benefical in stopping the binging, which has helped me a lot! Just please don't starve yourself if you go that way, most people take it and then gain back more, if they do not change their life style.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    5 lbs a month! You can do it! Join into the monthly "lose 5 lbs in [insert month here]" groups, and stay motivated with others.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    While weight loss is great, it's not the end all. Concentrate on fat loss instead of the scale (as demonstrated by the link below). Set your goal at 1 lb per week, eat 50% of your exercise calories, up your protein (35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats) and weight lean whole foods and lots of fruits and veggies. If you do this with a good workout routine that consist of heavy weight training and some cardio, you will see some good results. If you workout 5-6 days a week, then you should be able to eat around 1700-1900 calories and still see weight loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat+vs