running for first time and heart rate is super high

Options
13»

Replies

• xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I've been running almost 6 months and my comfortable, sustainable pace still puts my heart rate in the 185+ zone (pace increases with training, heart rate remains as far as I can tell). Biking is 150 ish, but also doesn't get me out of breath. My resting heart rate and blood pressure are down, my stamina is up, I feel fine, so I'm ignoring the heart rate. It's always, always been high, even since a kid, whenever I run, play netball, play tennis, or anything else that requires a running motion.

My blood pressure used to be ~110/70, and is now around 100/62. Resting heart rate dropped from 78 to 62 (at peak fitness, I've fallen off the wagon recently).

If you feel ok, I'd say keep going. If you're feeling like you're going to pass out or throw up, ease off.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You should check with your doctor. if you swim and work out your heart shouldn't be that high!! I wouldn't run anymore until you talk to your doctor
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    That is not unusual for a beginner. I used to 140 just walking! Today I rode at 19 miles per hour on a bike and was in the 135 range. It just takes times. In a 5K I run about 160, lower for the 10K and 1/2 m.

Use one of the training courses like C25K, and if you think there might be a problem, see a doctor!
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options

do yourself a huge favor and throw your HRM away. Better, sell it to some other sucker on Craiglist. For some advanced training regimens an hrm can be helpful. For a beginning or intermediate runner, not only is it not needed it actually hurts more than it helps.

Just go run. Running and lifting and dieting are things that get people fit. Not checking hrm readings every 20 steps. I swear 90% of the HRM users on this site are slowing their progress down with those things

Ignore this advice. I'm a beginner/intermediate runner and I find my HRM is brilliant to see improvement, log my calories and make me feel like I have a cool toy. A HRM is fantastic tool for anyone doing any exercise. No one said you are 'checking your Hr every 20 steps'. Wear your HR so at the end of the run you can see your av heart rate and calories burned. :)
    I second this! I started running a year ago and my HRM is what shows the results of my training. It is amazing to see that I am getting faster and fitter, that I can run farther. I started with a Couch to 5K app for the phone and it helped me a lot since I was a smoker for many years and had just quit before I started running. Running for 2 mins and walking for one...then building up slowly but surely....that was the right way for me. Maybe it is something you want to check out for yourself. Happy running, my friend:flowerforyou:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    ^^ Say what?! Even when I was mega fit and fast my HR when running was around 150-160BPM! Running at about a 7.5 -9 min mile. When I've not been running for a while it is noticeably higher as, as you rightly say, aerobic fitness has declined.
    At your age 150 to 160 is exactly the right range for maximizing gains in aerobic fitness. At my age I have to run from around 122 to 132 to get the same training effect. Right now that is anywhere from around 8:30/mi to 9:45/mi depending on the day and the route. Someone that is 45 years old that is just starting out should run between around 125 to 135 bpm.

The purpose for running at this low heartrate is to stay at or under the aerobic threshold to maximize the training effect on the slow twitch muscles in the legs. Specifically, it maximizes the growth of capillaries and mitochondria and the activity of aerobic enzymes in the muscles. This allows one to run faster aerobically while maximizing the use of the nearly unlimited supply of fat for fuel. Over time, the speed at that heartrate will increase as well as the speed at higher heartrates allowing one to race much faster for longer distances.

Once a person has spent some time developing their aerobic capacity at this level they could then spend a short time training at higher intensities to get ready to race. However, spending all their time at higher intensities is a big waste of training time because gains at that level are maximized in around 6 to 10 weeks at which time that person will plateau. Gains in aerobic capacity from training at lower training intensities are not maximized for many years.

The inherent problem with that explanation is that running, even at slow speeds, has a relative high (and fixed) energy cost. Someone with a low fitness level who wants to take up running cannot run at an "aerobic threshold"--not at any speed.

So they have two choices:

1. Use another modality (e.g. elliptical) that allows the user to increase the aerobic workload in smaller increments to cross the bridge between the aerobic demands for "walking" and "running".

2. Ultilize a "walk/jog" high-intensity interval program to achieve the increases in aerobic fitness and physiologic adaptations to running.

Choice 1 will still require an adaptaton period to running, but it will be shorter and more easily managed.

Choice 2 is harder and has inherently greater risk, but can be a suitable alternative is one does not have access to a gym, or, in the case of the OP, already has a decent level of endurance and needs to work on increasing max aerobic fitness.

There is nothing inherently wrong with your explanations-they are just more relevant to someone who has made the initial adaptaton to running and has built up a certain level of endurance.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'll have to agree with the poster that said that it is irresponsible to ignore your heart rate. I will say that you need to listen to your own body more than a piece of equipment. I've been blessed with relatively good cardio and I've never seen my heart rate at 190 bpm but I can't imagine how hard you have to be pushing your body to require that kind of rate.

I agree with the idea that you should probably work on interval training for a couple months. Extended periods with a high heart rate is an excellent way to cause damage to your heart. Mix in some walking to give yourself a break. About six months ago, a study showed that 10% of marathon runners had run so much and so hard that they had scarred their heart.

Run what you feel comfortable doing but watch your heart rate. In time, it will drop. Two years ago, when I would run at 6 mph for any amount of time, my heart rate would run up to 160 bpm. If I ran 9 mph, it would go to 180 bpm. Now, after losing some weight and improving my cardio to closer to what it was when I was younger, my heartrate is 135-140 at 6 mph and 160 bpm at 8-9 mph. My resting heartrate dropped from 65 bpm down to 45-50 bpm.