Slim fast?

Options
2»

Replies

• JeffinRaleigh
    Options
    Ingredients in Slim Fast ...

FAT FREE MILK, WATER, SUGAR, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, GUM ARABIC, CANOLA OIL, CELLULOSE GEL, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY LECITHIN, CELLULOSE GUM, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, CARRAGEENAN, SODIUM BICARBONATE, SUCRALOSE AND ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (NONNUTRITIVE SWEETENERS), SODIUM CITRATE, CITRIC ACID.

MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ASCORBATE, VITAMIN E ACETATE, ZINC GLUCONATE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, NIACINAMIDE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, FOLIC ACID, CHROMIUM CHLORIDE, BIOTIN, SODIUM MOLYBDATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE, PHYLLOQUINONE (VITAMIN K1), SODIUM SELENITE, CYANOCOBALAMIN (VITAMIN B12), CHOLECALCIFEROL (VITAMIN D3). SWEETENED WITH A NUTRITIVE SWEETENER AND NONNUTRITIVE SWEETENERS. CONTAINS MILK AND SOY.

Sugar is #3, followed by a host of other sugary additives and artificial ingredients. Anyone on the fence about this stuff - please eat real food.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    The slim fast plan is simply a 1,200 diet in the form of expensive and sugar-filled snacks and smoothies. It's not worth it at all!

You could take a little time/effort and formulate your own 1,200 calorie diet plan (although I wouldn't recommend it long-term because that's what screwed up my metabolism. two or three weeks MAX) that would be cheaper and even allow you to eat *gasp* REAL food that you actually LIKE!

Waste your money & believe that the slim fast is some special miraculous substance that causes you to lose more weight than any regular 1,200 calorie diet would, OR get smart & a little creative and lose just as much weight. Your call.
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    slim fast actually made me gain weight from the huge amount of sugar in it... and i wound up eating a lot more because my body kept craving more sugar. definitely wasn't worth it for me.
  • leeleeloulou
    Options
    Ingredients in Slim Fast ...

FAT FREE MILK, WATER, SUGAR, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, GUM ARABIC, CANOLA OIL, CELLULOSE GEL, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY LECITHIN, CELLULOSE GUM, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, CARRAGEENAN, SODIUM BICARBONATE, SUCRALOSE AND ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (NONNUTRITIVE SWEETENERS), SODIUM CITRATE, CITRIC ACID.

MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ASCORBATE, VITAMIN E ACETATE, ZINC GLUCONATE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, NIACINAMIDE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, FOLIC ACID, CHROMIUM CHLORIDE, BIOTIN, SODIUM MOLYBDATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE, PHYLLOQUINONE (VITAMIN K1), SODIUM SELENITE, CYANOCOBALAMIN (VITAMIN B12), CHOLECALCIFEROL (VITAMIN D3). SWEETENED WITH A NUTRITIVE SWEETENER AND NONNUTRITIVE SWEETENERS. CONTAINS MILK AND SOY.

Sugar is #3, followed by a host of other sugary additives and artificial ingredients. Anyone on the fence about this stuff - please eat real food.

thank you. knowing that there is that much sugar, i'll definitely be giving it a miss. sugar is one of my weak spots so i can guarantee i'd simply over eat the slim fast which will totally defy the idea in the first place.

I'm going to look into having healthy snack bars and fruit in my car ready to go though. I got into a brilliant habit when i started caring for the elderly of having a litre & half bottle of water in the car. I didn't drink a whole one every day but it was there and it wasn't coca cola.

I really appreciate your honesty, and I'm glad I can call on others for a broad idea of pros and cons.
    xxxx
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who drinks 2 slim fast shakes a day. It's working for her. She's lost 30 pounds so far in about 5 or 6 months.

But... I will say this. I don't want to sound judgmental. I simply care about those who want to do this right.

You're right. Everyone is different. BUT.... the absolute best way to lose is slowly. That does not mean, though that you won't be able to tell a difference. I am losing slowly... because I want it to stay off this time around... but, I am definitely telling a difference... and so is everyone else around me. If not in the scale... at least in the way you feel and inches.

If you want to lose and keep it off, I highly recommend doing it by simply doing cardio and eating right. If you want to do 1 or 2 slimfast shakes a day, that will be fine I suppose... but, there is no such thing as "miracle drugs". It still takes work. I just don't want you to be disappointed. I tried different things for years and years... and got disappointed each time. I only recently started doing this the right way, and am finally seeing results. You don't have to starve yourself to get results.

With that little lecture, I will finally say that I wish you all the luck in whatever you choose to do.:smile:
  • JenLovesFall
    Options
    Hmmm Slim Fast has a lot of sugar (at least it did 10 years ago when I tried it). I would go to a vitamin store and check out the healthier meal replacement shakes. If you like veggies, I would suggest getting a Designer Whey protein shake and drink it with a meal of veggies and a whole grain. This will keep you full for a long time. :)
  • wyattsmomjoy
    wyattsmomjoy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ididn't read through all the comments and someone may have suggested this, but as far as split shifts and grabbing from the bakery, carry 90 calorie bars or other low cal, pre-packaged snacks to tide you over til you eat a good regular meal. Good Luck!
  • LoriHastings
    Options
    Have you tried to reduce your carbohydrates? Not just grains, but sugars as well? You might be able to drop some quick weight by keeping your carbs around 100-150 grams a day and obtaining that by veggies and not breads. I would stay clear of Slim Fast, even if you lose the weight, you will put it back on when you start eating food for that meal. My trainer suggested I carry around a bag of green beans (raw/fresh) in my car to snack on when I need something prior to meal time. Good Luck!
  • Bernadettetoo
    Options
    Try "carb cycling" for a week. Look it up on net.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, i think that's made my mind up. There seems to be very few "success" stories with slim fast so i'll stick to what i am doing now.
    anyone got any tips for working split shifts while we're here. i'm a community carer (home help) and some days it's difficult to find time to have any food other than what i can grab from a bakery.. Any tips here?

thanks guys you've helped a lot
    xxxxxx

Hi, I can sympathise with the Community Carer, grab it & run eating as I've been a Community Carer for 15yrs.
    Life is a bit simpler now because I am doing fixed hours & shifts as an Early Intervention carer.
    The ONLY way to do it is to plan ahead, take food with you for meals & snacking so that you never go into the Bakery in the first place. I've had a good read of your diary & you have many good days but quite a few 'uncontrolled' ones, so you need to work on keeping below your calorie allowance. That means planning what you eat beforehand..not after..weigh everything before it hits your plate. Plan treats & rewards within your calorie allowances. It can be done and as a Carer & a working Mum I'm pretty certain you are not short of exercise so if you don't have time for formal exercise don't worry, just concentrate on your daily total goal, don't try & get lots below it, just try to be withing goal & 50 below...and as long as your logging is honest & acurate you WILL lose weight....and at the same time you will be forming good habits that will last you for life and prevent you being in the same state when older as quite a few of the people you care for.
    You have to be patient, its the only way, because this won't be a diet - it will be a plan for the rest of your life. Get it right now, don't make my mistake and yo yo your way to your pension..because the older you get, the harder it gets..believe me!!!!
    Good Luck.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I think you have to bear in mind as well that the most important thing for weight loss is muscle. Muscle drives your metabolism, it's active tissue and needs to burn calories to survive, hence you burn more simply by having muscle. VLCD (very low calorie diets) or diets with low protein usually end up with weight loss through muscle and fat wastage, reducing your muscle means you need less calories just to survive so its harder not to gain weight afterwards.

Eating a healthy diet, with plenty of protein and nutrient dense food (veg!) means you maintain most of your muscle and lose more fat therefore maintaining that basic calorie burn.

Hope that makes sense, I'm tired with a sick 6 year old.
  • Mikaylarae27
    Mikaylarae27 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    NO! Eat fruits, vegetables and food that is unprocessed at least 75% of the time!
  • Susie3501
    Susie3501 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast is something I keep in my fridge. I like the strawberry. I'm not on the diet, but when I'm in a hurry & cannot eat I grab one or if I'm not feeling great but need something in my system I drink one. It tides me over to a snack time or even until the next meal. I never use more than one in a day. As with any "diet" of a particular food, one you get off of it, you gain the weight back. That's why it's better to eat healthy & watch & log your calories daily. I didn't need to jump start, I lost 3 lbs the 1st week just reducing my calorie count as recommended by MFP. I knew I was doing the right thing. This recording your foods is addictive because I can't wait to put the food in to see how many calories it held. I go over sometimes but no big deal. I'm friends with a couple of people that have been on here a year and lost 100+ lbs. You can do this & the people you select to be your support team on MFP can help you if you let them. Mine gives me good advice or points out things that I didn't see. Wishing you the very best and YOU CAN DO IT!!!:flowerforyou:
  • leeleeloulou
    Options
    thank you again everyone xxxx