What should I do with my beets / beetroot?

Options
tegantheaverage
tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
I received a whole heap of beetroots in a mixed veg box and have roasted about 5 of them and am about to try pickling one. I have six left.. so what should I do with them? What do they go well with? How else can you cook them?

Thanks

Replies

• amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    In Australia we put a slice of pickled beetroot in our salad sandwiches. also on burgers (home made or from the fish and chip shop)
    You can home make a burger with lean mince and a small roll, lettuce tomato and beetroot ftw.
    We also put them on the plate with salads. Look great next to your slice of pineapple
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Beetroot goes really well with roast beef and horseradish, or will grilled goat's cheese - personally I like them boiled and added to any salad, and mixed through couscous to make it go pink and girly :blushing:
  • PennyRLane
    PennyRLane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I always juice mine with some apples and it makes a REALLY REALLY good energy drink for in the morning or when Im slacking
  • tegantheaverage
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! Are they any good mashed? What other veg do they go well with (for hot meals)?
  • tegantheaverage
    Options
    Anyone?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/16414/beetroot-and-grilled-haloumi-salad-with-eggplant-mash

I bought some beets from a farmers market last week, and did this with them - flipping gorgeous!
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I like them roasted with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and goat cheese. Yum! They're good for leftovers that way too, just eat them cold like a salad.

If you want something more complicated, I've also made a really tasty mashed beet and ricotta cheese ravioli. And I second whomever said to put them in burgers... it seems odd, but really good!

Beets are great!! :)
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Russia, so I would make borscht :D But honestly, any vegetable based soup is enhanced by beets. Just be sure to grate them, lightly saute in a tiny bit of oil, and they'll turn your soup into a beautiful, deep red color. :smile:
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I always juice mine with some apples and it makes a REALLY REALLY good energy drink for in the morning or when Im slacking

^THIS^ Beets are great for bumping up the iron content of smoothies and juices.

Personally, and I know I am weird, I enjoy thin raw slices, eaten like chips.
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    Options
    In France, we do a beetroot salad.

You mix beetroot and chicory together with whole walnuts and blue cheese. And of course the classic mustard/vinegar/oil dressing.

My favourite of all time, but it's perfectly fine without the walnuts and the blue cheese if you are looking to reduce the calorie count.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I like them raw. It gets a bit messy but grate them and mix them with grated carrot and a bit of onion with a balsamic dressing.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I make them into refrigerator pickles, they keep for weeks. Just roast them and cut them into a mixture of vinegar, water, sugar, salt and a cinnamon stick. You can make it to taste.

If you got them with tops, I love this recipe for halibut roasted on top of beets and beet greens:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Halibut-with-Roasted-Beets-Beet-Greens-and-Dill-Orange-Gremolata-241608
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I pickle beets every year and put them in everything! But if I have leftovers after canning I usually make Harvard beets. Here's a pretty good recipe - http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Harvard-Beets-2 . Adjust the sugar and vinegar to your liking.
  • Jessie169
    Jessie169 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Beetroot salad - peel and grate a beet, then add a thinly sliced spring onion and the juice of a lemon :smile:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Throw them at people you dislike.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Throw them at people you dislike.

^this
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Just eat them by themselves! Nicest thing ever :smile:
  • rachaelhoffman
    rachaelhoffman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Roast them with other root vegetables: beet, carrot, potato, onion for a yummy side dish
    Boil them, then mix with a bit of sugar & vinger and enjoy cold or room temperature (great solo or in a salad)
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Do bears eat beets? Yes

Bears, beets, battlestar galactica
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    bears catch horseys by the tail!