Why is discouragement easier than motivation?

Options
2»

Replies

• keelz2010
    Options
    If you're really fed up just change your settings to maintenance for a few days so you won't put back on any weight you have lost, and then you still have a bit more freedom. But set some goals, like you will do this for only 3 days then get back on the wagon, book yourself a Zumba class or something for a few days ahead. If you make healthy recipes that you and your famly genuinely enjoy eating all the time, you won't have to keep changing your eating patterns or feel like your on a diet. Think long term, make little changes and once that change no longer feels like an effort, make another healthy change.
    Set a target such as 'If I lose this week I'll buy myself a new dress' as this is a good way to stay motivated.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Because doing nothing is always easier than doing something. That is until one day you reach a point where you stop to say "I would have reached my goal by now if only I had kept to it."

That's the thing. If you are sticking with it only as long as that initial burst of resolve right out of the gate, you won't make it very far. Achy muscles, unrealistic expectation, and life seem to get in the way and it's easier to just throw in the towel.

You have to resolve that for better or worse, you are going to see this thing through until the end.

Heart disease runs in my family; some days when I am not feeling like going to the gym or I want that extra-large burger and fries, I imagine my heart (which already has the cards stacked against it) trying to beat through all of that cholesterol and fat.

If it were easy, the world would be full of healthy, fit people.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry you don't want it bad enough.

this is my go to for motivation: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/08/31/is-it-really-worth-it/ make sure to watch the video at the end.

You've got it all wrong dude, cause I want it. And just because I get discouraged doesnt mean on going to stop, it just means its going to be harder to get up and do it- but ill do it anyways.

And I meant this question in many ways.
    One was, mainly. Why is it so much easier for other people to try and discourage rather than motivate or encourage?

THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS FOR QUESTIONS JUST LIKE YOURS JUST BECUASE U OR I FEEL LIKE GIVING UP AT TIMES IS VERY NATURAL AND VERY HEALTHY BECAUSE IF WE DID NOT FEEL THIS WAY AT TIMES AND WERE ALWAYS MOTIVATED AND READY TO GO THEN WE WOULD BE PERFECT AND LAST TIME I CHECKED I AM NOT PERFECT!!! ATLEAST U R POSTING ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD INSTEAD OF GIVING UP, THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS VERY IMPORTANT TO VENT AND TO GET OTHERS TO GET US BACK ON TRACK SO U GO GIRL ANYTIME U FEEL THIS WAY VENT IT HERE SO THAT WE SUPPORTERS CAN HELP BECAUSE I KNOW IT HELPS ME AND KEEPS ME IN CHECK!! JUST AN FYI I NEVER GOT THE FEELING THAT U WERE GIVING UP ONLY THAT U WERE NEEDING TO VENT AND GET TO SUPPORT!!!! ALSO YOUR TITLE IS SUCH A GOOD QUESTION AND I HOPE U FOUND THE ANSWERS U WERE LOOKING FOR :)

618px-CapsLock.jpg
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

this is my go to for motivation: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/08/31/is-it-really-worth-it/ make sure to watch the video at the end.

You've got it all wrong dude, cause I want it. And just because I get discouraged doesnt mean on going to stop, it just means its going to be harder to get up and do it- but ill do it anyways.

One was, mainly. Why is it so much easier for other people to try and discourage rather than motivate or encourage?
    I think you maybe missed his point? In the end, motivation has to come from within. No one can do that for you. By the same token, no one can take it from you.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

I think you maybe missed his point? In the end, motivation has to come from within. No one can do that for you. By the same token, no one can take it from you.

thank you!!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Because it's not their job. Ideally everybody would. But that's not the way the world works. Do this for YOU. Nobody else. I work hard to look good. I watch what I eat so I'm healthy.
    And I don't do this for anybody else, nor do I need their support or encouragement. Though, I am a fan of compliments.
  • melpaige28
    Options
    add me please because I always have the same exact problem!!
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Sunflowerinbloom Posts: 119 Member
    Options

THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS FOR QUESTIONS JUST LIKE YOURS JUST BECUASE U OR I FEEL LIKE GIVING UP AT TIMES IS VERY NATURAL AND VERY HEALTHY BECAUSE IF WE DID NOT FEEL THIS WAY AT TIMES AND WERE ALWAYS MOTIVATED AND READY TO GO THEN WE WOULD BE PERFECT AND LAST TIME I CHECKED I AM NOT PERFECT!!! ATLEAST U R POSTING ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD INSTEAD OF GIVING UP, THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS VERY IMPORTANT TO VENT AND TO GET OTHERS TO GET US BACK ON TRACK SO U GO GIRL ANYTIME U FEEL THIS WAY VENT IT HERE SO THAT WE SUPPORTERS CAN HELP BECAUSE I KNOW IT HELPS ME AND KEEPS ME IN CHECK!! JUST AN FYI I NEVER GOT THE FEELING THAT U WERE GIVING UP ONLY THAT U WERE NEEDING TO VENT AND GET TO SUPPORT!!!! ALSO YOUR TITLE IS SUCH A GOOD QUESTION AND I HOPE U FOUND THE ANSWERS U WERE LOOKING FOR :)

618px-CapsLock.jpg

LOL
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Sunflowerinbloom Posts: 119 Member
    Options

AMEN on no one can take it from you :)
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    To answer the title question: weakness is always easier than strength.