Calories or carbs?

Options
I've noticed that even though I've gone over my calorie goal, including my binge on Thanksgiving, that ice stayed waaaaay under my carbs for the week. Which is most important? And what about the unsaturated fats?

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    they have different functions so for me at least they are both important
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    Calories will determine about of weight loss, macros (carbs/pro/fat) determine day to day energy and composition (fat/water/muscle) of that loss.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    For weight loss calories are more important than carbs. For fats, going over is fine as long as they're natural fats and not man-made vegetable oils and trans fats.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Calories will determine about of weight loss, macros (carbs/pro/fat) determine day to day energy and composition (fat/water/muscle) of that loss.

^^ This ^^
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    stayed waaaaay under my carbs for the week.

Clearly, you didn't eat enough mashed potatoes, stuffing, or pie. : )
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    For weight loss calories are more important than carbs. For fats, going over is fine as long as they're natural fats and not man-made vegetable oils and trans fats.

^^This

calories are absolutely more important than carbs! (though the carbs you are eating should be whole grains vs. white flour and sugars)
  • testease
    Options

^^This

calories are absolutely more important than carbs! (though the carbs you are eating should be whole grains vs. white flour and sugars)

Color of carbohydrate has no effect on body composition.
  • frankieobrien
    Options
    Type of carb needs to be differentiated....Whole grain or wonder bread...saturated fat should always be avoided. Unsaturated fat in proper amount is a healthy requirement ( raw nuts, avocado, olive oil) Real focus should be on avoiding prepared foods... only eat fresh, real foods....then your body won't be all confused and your natural hunger will tell you when and how much to eat, provided you pay attention to what your body is telling you! Good luck...eat fresh, real food. Thanks for reading www.getfitwithfrankie.com
  • testease
    Options
    care to tell me why whole wheat is better then process white? I already get enough fibre from veggies.

Why is saturated fat worse for me than unsaturated?

Please no biased studies from the heart and stroke foundation.
  • deseraeloves
    deseraeloves Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    stayed waaaaay under my carbs for the week.

Clearly, you didn't eat enough mashed potatoes, stuffing, or pie. : )

I had one piece of cheesecake (and it was good haha) but no taters, or stuffing.
  • deseraeloves
    deseraeloves Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hence, my only two actual mistakes were the piece of pie and cookie I ate at work. But then again I went from eating stuff like that everyday to maybe once a week so I'm okay with a cheat moment ;)

And you're funny haha
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Type of carb needs to be differentiated....Whole grain or wonder bread...saturated fat should always be avoided. Unsaturated fat in proper amount is a healthy requirement ( raw nuts, avocado, olive oil) Real focus should be on avoiding prepared foods... only eat fresh, real foods....then your body won't be all confused and your natural hunger will tell you when and how much to eat, provided you pay attention to what your body is telling you! Good luck...eat fresh, real food. Thanks for reading www.getfitwithfrankie.com
    No. Saturated fats are not evil and processed carbs are processed carbs regardless of whether they are white or "whole grain."
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    care to tell me why whole wheat is better then process white? I already get enough fibre from veggies.

Why is saturated fat worse for me than unsaturated?

Please no biased studies from the heart and stroke foundation.
    Like. :smile: