I would like to do push ups but I can't even do one...crap

Options
I am a 53 year old woman, in the summer I was weighing 204 pounds, got determined to lose weight and I've been having good success seeing my weight come down. I am ready to add push ups because I think my body isn't reacting to all the walking I've been doing. I got down on the floor and could not even do one, the only thing that came out of me was a loud sound of me failing. Crap.... I don't have any idea how to even start with many if I can't even do one... do you have any suggestions as to what can help me.

Thank you

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Start with wall push ups
    then do incline push ups
    then modified pushups
    then pushups
    then one arm pushups
    then handstand pushups
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Start doing them on an incline and then work your way down. You can start by just doing them with a slight incline against a wall, or else on a counter top, desk, coffee table -- whatever is low enough to be challenging but not so low that you can't even do one. I started with my kitchen counter and am now down to my coffee table. I'll make it to the floor someday!

Edited to add: I like welbert's response (posted at the same time as mine) -- maybe I'll make my ultimate goal handstand push-ups.
  • conleeper
    Options
    I'm not even sure I know what a wall push up is but I can google that, thanks for the tips, I'm gonna accomplish this eventually, you guys are the best.
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Keep working at it, one's a start :)...

Cheers:drinker:
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Also try doing them from your knees first until you can do regular push ups and build up your strength first
  • ma_oeuvre
    Options
    Keep trying! I'm hopeless at them - when I first started I could hardly do one - now I can do seven :) (Yep, seven whole push ups!)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Great site/app to help you build up your pushup power: http://hundredpushups.com/#sthash.qYL65rMH.dpbs
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Start with wall push ups
    then do incline push ups
    then modified pushups
    then pushups
    then one arm pushups
    then handstand pushups

WooHoo, handstand pushups, here I come. . . . NOT! lol I've done the wall, so I guess I'd better move onto a counter or something. One day I dream of even a modified (girly pushup).
  • conleeper
    Options
    YAY one day I hope to do 7, or 8 heck even 9.

Thank you thank you thank you

okay back to the floor, gonna try those knee ones now.
  • Ladyslippers
    Ladyslippers Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Wall pushups are a great way to start. Stand facing a wall, far enough away that you can place your palms flat on the wall at shoulder height. Start your pushups from there, making sure to keep your back flat. If it's too easy, slide your feet back so that you're leaning into the wall. When that gets too easy, do it on the kitchen counter, which will use more body weight.

Eventually you'll get to where you can do them on the floor. Start on your stomach, hands by your shoulders. Bend your knees so your feet stick up behind you and cross your ankles (that's a modified position--easier than straight-legged) and go for it. If you're not sure of the form, I'm sure there are lots of Youtube videos or other sites that will show proper form. Just remember, form is really important.

You can do this!
  • samlankford
    Options
    I could barely do 1 pushup when I first started doing insanity, now I can do about 25 of them in a minute... I agree, with starting with the wall pushups... I would then go the "girly" puchups that you do on your knees... then slowly work up to doing the regular pushups...
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Start....that's the secret...just start...

it will suck...but sucking at it is how you recognize the glory of the success later.

In August I decided I had to learn how to do a push up...and it was horrible...

awful awful awful...i couldn't do even one...

now, I do many...and my form is great and my arms are getting stronger...and I'm SO proud of myself...

so what did I do?

i bought a pull up bar and decided I have to conquer the pull up...(I do...it's necessary for upper strength for my pole dance...)

and I can't even do one...but it's a start...and I will get there...

just start.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I started with modified pushups (on my knees) and it took 4 months of doing those regularly, increasing the number I could do, before I could do one "real' pushup and that was just a few days ago!! Not sure if it's really increased strength or the fact that I've lost 30 pounds that has enabled me to do it, but either way, I'm thrilled!
  • hollybo53
    Options
    Hi, I am a 59-year-old woman who on December 6, 2011 shattered her shoulder. One of the things they had to do in the 4 surgeries I've had since then is sever my biceps tendon. Don't get discouraged!!!! Don't start on the floor first, start on a wall. Stand only apx. 10 inches away from the wall with your arms straight ahead on the wall. This is a standing push up. As you get stronger, you can stand farther away, then move to a counter and so on. It will happen. Have faith.
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I started with the "girl" style push ups, where you are on your knees instead of being in a plank postion. I am not sure if this is a good idea or a good thing but it worked for me. I can do about 32 in a minute now but insanity has helped with this too.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    LadySlippers's description is excellent. Just remember to tighten your abdominal musclrs and keep them firm, to stabilized the body and protect the back.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Start with wall push ups
    then do incline push ups
    then modified pushups
    then pushups
    then one arm pushups
    then handstand pushups

Then add additional weights to your handstand pushups... LOL>

Actually this is good advice. If you can, a gym membership to a family gym will help too. Start with lighter weight machines and add resistance. Weight training is not so much an aerobic activity as it is a strength training activity. There are 3 primary areas we all need to develop...

Endurance --- aerobic exercises such as walking, running, cycling, etc.
    Strength --- Resistance training such as push ups, sit ups, weights (this also helps tone and makes you look better even
    though the scales may not drop as much)
    Flexibility -- yoga, stretching, etc.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I agree with the modified push ups! I can do those all day, but if I try to do a regular push up I tip over or something. :/
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I didn't use to be able to do any, so I started to lift weights and now I can do reps of 15 real push ups.