Options

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Diets don't work. Lifestyle changes do.
  • ROSE73BELLNET
    Options
    I lost 25 lbs on 1000 calories with minimal exercise (3 mph walking, 1lb hand weight reps, etc.) and the rest of it has come off from 600-1200 range in my calories, upping my hand weights to 3lb and over, more brisk walking and simple calisthenics. I seem to 'normally' gravitate away from carbs, so my diet is high in protein, low carb, only healthy/naturally occuring fats. Also: no white grains or added sugars. I've completely by accident incorporated a cheat day once a week; not going over 1700 calories, stopping when I'm full, and burning at least 250 (but it's usually 500) in exercise.
  • gnr123
    gnr123 Posts: 173
    Options
    Good/low carbs

High protein

Exercise HARD
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    EAT

SMASH THINGS

REPEAT.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Diets don't work. Lifestyle changes do.

Exactly, it was my life style that got me in this mess and it's what's going to change to get me out of it :3

Diets have alot of negative ideas and feelings around them, most of the idea of a temporary fix! Why be temporary when you can be permanent?
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    40-30-30...carbs,prot,fat ....nothing more....
    I watch what I eat and count EVERYTHING!...I plan my food the night before etc... It's a way of living....Dedication but it's pretty easy.
    You get pretty good with time too, knowing how much carbs's in this or protein in that...and what you can snack on to not burst your fat or sugar etc...

I find it kinda fun!

oh! and I never eat junk or fast food anymore.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Portion control and move more plan. Been in maintenece a year now with no regain. Took two years to get rid off.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Kris Gethin 12 Week Transformation : http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer-week-1.html

Down 26 pounds in 7 weeks and 5% body fat so far. Great results in the mirror and wardrobe!

It takes a huge commitment though.

But like others have said... 'diets' don't work. Changing your lifestyle does.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I stay away from any diet with a name.

I eat a balanced, nutritionally complete diet with a moderate calorie deficit, and some treats as needed.
    I work out.
    I eat back my exercise calories.
  • Nahid99
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to MFP & I'm confused too as;

MFP keeps saying Im not eating enouth.
    The program suggested an amount of calories to eat a day. If I even eat slightly less or even more (like 35 calories) it says I'm not eating enough. Also, eating the suggested amount, it says I'll gain 7 pds in 5 weeks!!! What gives? Please

I'm so confused
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I am female, 5'7" and currently 140lbs (A healthy weight for my height, but I want to tone up & lose more fat)

I try to avoid starchy carbs (Bread, cereal, pasta, etc.) and aim to eat 1500 calories or less per day. I go up to 2000 calories sometimes so it's not super calorie-strict. I know those carbs I listed are healthy, but I believe that because of my ethnicity and body-type, that I am carb-sensitive. A college gym class made me realize 75% of my diet was grains and the rest was dairy/meat. I had a serious carb addiction, and when I cut them out I realized I felt better! My stomach was less bloated all day and I didn't feel tired or weighed down after eating. When I do start eating starchy carbs again, it turns into a downward spiral and I end up craving all kinds of sweets like jam, ice cream, chocolate, cookies, maple syrup, etc. Cutting out those grains also encourages me to fill up on fruits/veggies in their absence.

I allow myself to indulge occasionally (Eating at a fancy restaurant, ordering takeout or having some drinks) and when I do I try to compensate for it by working out and eating less either before the indulging or the day after. Drink green tea and oolong tea. I guess I eat healthy 80% of the time and indulge 20% of the time, but it's a balance that makes me feel satisfied.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am female, 5'7" and currently 140lbs (A healthy weight for my height, but I want to tone up & lose more fat)

I try to avoid starchy carbs (Bread, cereal, pasta, etc.) and aim to eat 1500 calories or less per day. I go up to 2000 calories sometimes so it's not super calorie-strict. I know those carbs I listed are healthy, but I believe that because of my ethnicity and body-type, that I am carb-sensitive. A college gym class made me realize 75% of my diet was grains and the rest was dairy/meat. I had a serious carb addiction, and when I cut them out I realized I felt better! My stomach was less bloated all day and I didn't feel tired or weighed down after eating. When I do start eating starchy carbs again, it turns into a downward spiral and I end up craving all kinds of sweets like jam, ice cream, chocolate, cookies, maple syrup, etc. Cutting out those grains also encourages me to fill up on fruits/veggies in their absence.

I allow myself to indulge occasionally (Eating at a fancy restaurant, ordering takeout or having some drinks) and when I do I try to compensate for it by working out and eating less either before the indulging or the day after. Drink green tea and oolong tea. I guess I eat healthy 80% of the time and indulge 20% of the time, but it's a balance that makes me feel satisfied.

Im the same as you...the cravings are insane when eating grains. That said...as long as you meet all your macros why would it not be healthy? I eat plenty of carbs (averages between 100-150 grams per day) thru my fruit and vegetables. I feel much better for cutting them out...i eat 2050 cals a day (im not trying lose "scale weight" but simply fat loss and build muscle) so my eating is not unhealthy :)
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to MFP & I'm confused too as;

MFP keeps saying Im not eating enouth.
    The program suggested an amount of calories to eat a day. If I even eat slightly less or even more (like 35 calories) it says I'm not eating enough. Also, eating the suggested amount, it says I'll gain 7 pds in 5 weeks!!! What gives? Please

I'm so confused
    Can't help much since your diary is closed, but are you eating your exercise calories back? Sounds like you are burning more than anticipated and MFP thinks you should eat more. It tells me I will gain, too, but I have mine set to gain because I'm in maintenance and MFP won't give me enough calories to maintain, I think because it doesn't take body fat into account.

Feel free to message me if you don't want to open your diary.
  • racingred24
    racingred24 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am following a high protein/low carb plan, through the Lindora Clinic. my program ends in 3 weeks, then i plan on going back to having 1200 calories a day/tracking. i find that tracking works, and i've learned alot about food choices on my Lindora program, so i will incorporate that into my new plan and stick to low carb. And no beer :(
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    Good, I'm not alone :) What are you doing, exercise-wise?
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it a "diet." It's just a way of life. Eat right, exercise. Period.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    eating more appropriate portions, choosing better quality foods, getting some exercise. Seems to be working!
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    Good, I'm not alone :) What are you doing, exercise-wise?
  • Diharp
    Diharp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Count those calories, and Get Moving.. lost 7 lbs in 4 weeks. 20 to 45 min. exercise everyday, Mon. thru Fri. Weekends off. More 30 min.Green smoothies every morning. That is the only way I can get my vitamin k and greens in my diet. greensmoothies.com.
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Eat Less, Move More

83# lost in 11.5 months

^^this^^. It's a novel idea but it really works! It's the only plan that permits eating whatever you want until you are satisfied! And the MOST amazing thing is that it is free!! Not many people know about it which is a shame. It has not been promoted on TV at all like all the other diets.