best vegetarian protein powder (non-soy)

2»

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    www.truenutrition.com has customizable protein powders - I do 75% gemma pea and 25% brown rice proteins. The cake batter flavor is my favorite - and completely vegan!
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    I recently purchased this online http://www.uproar.org.au/uproar-shop/#health (the Sunwarrior Raw Vegan Protein Powder), but it haven't tried it before and shall let you know if you'd like?

:D

The Sun Warrior protein seems to have a decent BCAA profile, but has a great protein / cal ratio of 15/70 (21.4%). BUT it's MORE expensive than the plant fusion protein I'm using now at about $55 / 2 lbs. :-(
  • ironmonkeystyle
    garden of life raw protein powder!! i had chocolate and i loved it. reasonably priced, free of everything.. doesn't get much better :)

This looks good (http://www.gardenoflife.com/Products-for-Life/Foundational-Nutrition/RAW-Protein.aspx), and is about $31 for 2 lbs. The down side is the presumably not very good BCAA profile (not listed)
  • ironmonkeystyle
    I use Manitoba Harvest Hemp Pro70 Protein powder. I drink it at least 5 times per week. When I first tried it, it was the WORST tasting stuff on earth, now I love it--it's non flavored...BUT because I mix it with a ton of stuff and it now tastes like a yummy real chocolate shake. Here's what I use:

Manitoba Harvest Hemp Protein Powder - Hemp Pro 70, 4 Tbsp
    Amazing Grace Barley Grass, Wheat Grass, & Alfalfa Whole Food Drink Powder, Gluten Free - Green Supplement, 1 gm scoop
    Trader Joe's - Blueberries- Wild, Organic-Frozen, 0.25 Cup
    So Delicious - Coconut Milk Icecream Vanilla Bean, 1/4 cup
    Trader Joe's - Frozen Mango Chunks , 3 pieces (140g)
    Trader Joe's Fancy Berry Medley (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries) - Frozen Fruit, 3/8 cup (140 gm)
    Trader Joe"S Rice Drink Vanilla - Rice Milk, 0.25 cup
    Good Karma - Flax Milk (Vanilla), 0.25 cup

If this is too thick for you, you can add a wee bit of water to the mix

This is 298 cals and sooooo utterly yummy too.

The protein alone has a decent ratio of protein to calories: 20/140 = 14%. It is $30 for 16 oz, only 15 servings. There is no BCAA info .
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    I hear sun warrior is superior... I play around with different stuff. I liked peaceful planet brown rice protein in african vanilla. I am currently using an unflavored pea protein powder, mixes ok, but the flavor is not desirable... I try to doctor it up with cinnamon powder or blend it with a different protein powder, but the UNflavor still breaks through. I still drink it... I have also tried hemp protein which is pretty good and, although it isn't a protein powder, i have just begun to mix in 1 tbsp of Chia seeds with my protein powder. It has all 9 EAA and truly has no taste and is highly digestible. I have also used nutiva hemp protein and i liked that, too...
    I tried Vega One vanilla chia nutritional drink. It was ok but had more carbs than i cared for.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Pea protein is good. You can get it in most health food stores and probably online somewhere as well.
    I've heard that combining it with rice protein is even better, but I have no idea where to buy rice protein.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    I use Manitoba Harvest Hemp Pro70 Protein powder. I drink it at least 5 times per week. When I first tried it, it was the WORST tasting stuff on earth, now I love it--it's non flavored...BUT because I mix it with a ton of stuff and it now tastes like a yummy real chocolate shake. Here's what I use:

Manitoba Harvest Hemp Protein Powder - Hemp Pro 70, 4 Tbsp
    Amazing Grace Barley Grass, Wheat Grass, & Alfalfa Whole Food Drink Powder, Gluten Free - Green Supplement, 1 gm scoop
    Trader Joe's - Blueberries- Wild, Organic-Frozen, 0.25 Cup
    So Delicious - Coconut Milk Icecream Vanilla Bean, 1/4 cup
    Trader Joe's - Frozen Mango Chunks , 3 pieces (140g)
    Trader Joe's Fancy Berry Medley (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries) - Frozen Fruit, 3/8 cup (140 gm)
    Trader Joe"S Rice Drink Vanilla - Rice Milk, 0.25 cup
    Good Karma - Flax Milk (Vanilla), 0.25 cup

If this is too thick for you, you can add a wee bit of water to the mix

This is 298 cals and sooooo utterly yummy too.

The protein alone has a decent ratio of protein to calories: 20/140 = 14%. It is $30 for 16 oz, only 15 servings. There is no BCAA info .

Here's some info on BCAA and this hemp protein powder, fyi...

http://thefitnessfreak.blogspot.com/2010/01/bcaas-do-you-need-them-how-you-can-get.html
  • I have used Vega Performance Protein, Raw Protein, Raw Meal (plain and vanilla), Warrior Force Chocolate and the chocolate Plantfusion. The Plantfusion is my least favorite. I bought it because of the price and won't buy it again. The Vega Sport line is, in my opinion, hands down the best. It's also very pricey. The Raw Meal vanilla has great natural vanilla flavor but is a little higher in carbs than I like so I usually mix half a serving with the Raw Meal.