Spinning

Options
Hey

Anybody know how many calories a hour's vigorous spinning burns?

It says on MFP that it's 396 but I am sure it would be more?

Thanks

Replies

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I did 600 in 45 minutes on Wednesday.

My resistance was cranked way up though. 396 is about what I would get for an easy, flat ride with minimal incline.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Its about 400-500 average. Caps spent are higher if you weigh more or are older in age.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    My HRM shows me at about 550, but I'm 200 lbs.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I did 600 in 45 minutes on Wednesday.

My resistance was cranked way up though. 396 is about what I would get for an easy, flat ride with minimal incline.

I would not trust what the machines say. They aren't always accurately caliberated.
  • gnr123
    gnr123 Posts: 173
    Options
    Thanks for your replies

Well I weight 162 and I use a lot of resistance..It feels a bit disheartening if it is only 396...
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies

Well I weight 162 and I use a lot of resistance..It feels a bit disheartening if it is only 396...

396 is a really great number! No reason to feel bummed.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    396 IS a pretty good workout. That being said, I went to a spinning class the other night for the first time and burned almost 500 calories according to my HRM. And I couldn't keep up all the way (didn't do all the standing up the instructor was doing). If you want an accurate calorie burn, use an HRM.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,424 Member
    Options
    So many factors enter into it (fitness level, weight, how hard you ride, how experienced you are at spinning) that the only way to really know is to get a good quality heart rate monitor (HRM) with a chest strap. I use the Polar F4 and it works great. For me, I do a 45 minute spin class 3 times a week, I am 5'9 and weigh 140 ish. My HRM shows that I burn between 425-475 for each 45 minute class. It varies according to the ride profile and how hard I ride. That 425-475 number is also the total calories burned during that time so it includes what I would have burned just being alive. So 396 may be a valid number of pure exercise calories.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Yeah, resistance is a huge factor so I'd up mine if I were u........
  • gnr123
    Options
    396 IS a pretty good workout. That being said, I went to a spinning class the other night for the first time and burned almost 500 calories according to my HRM. And I couldn't keep up all the way (didn't do all the standing up the instructor was doing). If you want an accurate calorie burn, use an HRM.

I think I may have to invest in one of these HRM..
    Yeah I guess it's not a bad number but for me personally I am a runner and feel I could burn of 395 pretty easily running but it's not really pushing myself, hence why I like to keep it varied and try different work outs..
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    i get around 750-850 in 45 mins but am always way up 160-175bpm (anerobic)...

it depends on your fitness level, weight and what you are training for tbh dude.... i always look like ive been showered with a garden hose.

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled3.jpg
  • lisamichelle123
    lisamichelle123 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", 180pounds, and one hour of high intensity intervals on a spin bike would burn about 850cal according to my HRM, but I subtract ~100 for what I'd burn otherwise to give 750net. This is when I am pushing my HR up over 200 and working HARD. I am also a fit cyclist so my body is more efficient at this exercise, so in reality I might not actually be burning this many. If you're new to spinning, you will burn more calories while your muscles adjust to the new exercise. Hope that helps :)
  • gnr123
    Options
    i get around 750-850 in 45 mins but am always way up 160-175bpm (anerobic)...

it depends on your fitness level, weight and what you are training for tbh dude.... i always look like ive been showered with a garden hose.

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Me also, I am literally dripping after a spin class...
    Right well looks like I will be getting one of the HRM, any recommendations?
  • gnr123
    Options
    I'm 5'9", 180pounds, and one hour of high intensity intervals on a spin bike would burn about 850cal according to my HRM, but I subtract ~100 for what I'd burn otherwise to give 750net. This is when I am pushing my HR up over 200 and working HARD. I am also a fit cyclist so my body is more efficient at this exercise, so in reality I might not actually be burning this many. If you're new to spinning, you will burn more calories while your muscles adjust to the new exercise. Hope that helps :)

Thank you, it does :smile:
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    You should be thrilled with 396 IMO. I am small and only burn about half that during the class, even tho I'm drenched afterwards, but the afterburn from the intervals is what keeps me going back--I burn lots more for the rest of the day than normal on my Spin days, even sitting at my desk at work.
  • gnr123
    Options
    You should be thrilled with 396 IMO. I am small and only burn about half that during the class, even tho I'm drenched afterwards, but the afterburn from the intervals is what keeps me going back--I burn lots more for the rest of the day than normal on my Spin days, even sitting at my desk at work.

I guess your right.

Excuse my stupidness but what is the after burn?
  • quishajuice
    quishajuice Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest getting a Polar HRM for your workouts. Every body is different and my HRM often reads a different number from what MFP or the Cardio machines read. I have a Polar FT4, you can find them on Amazon for about 50 bucks. Best fitness investment I ever made.
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options

Excuse my stupidness but what is the after burn?

when you have zapped so much energy in 45 mins that your body has to claw it back throughout the day from reserves...

for example.. my heart rate yesterday after doing the interval mixed with circuits was 20-25 bpm higher for around 7 hours - so thats 7 hours of 30% extra burn just watching the grand prix 5 hours on my assss - happy days