Did You Lower Your Goal Weight As You Got Closer?

Options
Ill make this short and sweet!
I am a 20 year old female.

I started this journey at 166.

Then I started Myfittnesspal at 152 with a Goal Weight of 130.

A couple weeks ago I changed my Goal Weight to 125.

Now I weigh 132 and want to change it to 120.

Is this normal? Or dangerous? Am I falling into the body image issue trap?

I just want to stay healthy and happy! Thanks!

Replies

• PHr34k0wt
    PHr34k0wt Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I know alot of people who do the same thing, including me!
    I started at 185, with a goal of 140
    Then at 155lbs I changed it to 130
    I'm at 149 now, and I've changed it to 125.
    I have a friend as well, who met her goal of 125 and is going now for 120.
  • Susanthecatwhisperer
    Options
    I'm still about 12-13 pounds away from my goal. I'm thinking about changing it also. First goal first, then I'll see. When in doubt, ask your doctor at your next visit, if your weight is ok. My doctor had no problem telling me when I gained weight. ;)
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i didn't start with a goal weight. i figured at some point i would think i was done losing and switch to maintaining. there have been a few times where i thought i was about 5 pounds away and would tell myself, ok, lose this five pounds then switch modes. but those 5 pounds have been lost, still felt like i should lose more. so kept trying to lose. that has gone on for the last 15 pounds or so.

i think what i imagined myself to look like at a certain weight wasn't accurate, so told myself 5 more pounds. then it wasn't accurate again...and again. i understand the "trap" concern. this might really be the last 5 pounds tho.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I have just over a pound or 1/2kg to go to what I set as my goal but I think I'll drop a little more. This will be the second time I decided to drop 2 more kgs and I think it's fine just as long as you are in your healthy weight range.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

I'm 5'4 and started at 140, and I'm almost to my goal of 120. I will stop there but might try to lose five more closer to next summer.

Just see how you feel.
  • natalienicole502
    natalienicole502 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I think as you get closer you can see how your body is looking closer to that weight and reevaluate. I, myself, have found that I am moving it up a little bit. Since I have big boobies and an hour glass shape, I don't think 'skinny' or fairly thin will look good on me, to me that is. I just want weigh less and be more fit. Plus it is good to have mini goals too. :)
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It turns out my goal weight is still borderline obese by BMI standards, but I'd have to weigh 96 to be underweight. I'll probably adjust my goal once I get there.
  • sleepygirl38
    sleepygirl38 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hell yes I plan on lowering. I never actually thought I could reach my goal or 140. I started at 181. However, I am learning I was wrong. I wil probley lower it to 130. Then re evaulate
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    how tall are you?

I changed mine several times. I got 150, I wanted to lose 5 more pounds and so on and so forth. I used to think no way could I weigh 150 again (I am 5'10") but then I got there thought I could stand to lose 5 more pounds (apparently I have small build).
  • Tinytaru
    Tinytaru Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I changed my goal weight as well, simply because telling myself "I have to lose 120lb now!" felt so discouraging at start :explode:
    tiny steps for me :)
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yep, I keep lowering my goal weight. I'm 5'3" and it was originally 141 as that is the top range of healthy BMI. Then, I lowered it to 139lbs, then 135lbs, then 130lbs. and now to 125lbs (I'm 128lbs. now). I told myself that I wouldn't lower it any more than 125 but we'll see once I get there.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Lowered mine several times, too. I'm 47 and wasn't sure about wrinkles as I got lower, so started at 150, initial goal 125, got there and changed it to 118, got there and went to 113. Now I'm at 110. Think I'll stay here, but considering a bulk in the spring. Currently training to walk a half-marathon, so we'll see after the race in February.
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    I am 5'6 and my starting weight on here was 144... My original goal was to get to 132. Once I hit that I changed my goal to 125. When I hit that I changed it to 120.

I am now 118 and very happy right where I am at. I don't want to get any smaller, just build some badass muscles now.
  • em3120
    em3120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I'm 5'4" and was 156 with a goal of 125. When I hit 130 I decided to go for 120. Now I am 123 and my goal is 115. I think people lower their goals because they realize they need to lose a bit more weight to be that size they had imagined in their head. I have an idea of what I want to be and I have had to adjust my goal to get there.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I'm very close to goal weight and I have an extra 2kg 'wiggle room' to go if I want to according to my GP. I am leaving my goal weight at 55 kg and if I still lose when slowling adjusting to maintenance then so be it.

I guess I am letting my body decide it's end point a bit, bearing in mind that I have my GP's ok and I haven't set my goal at the lowest healthy weight that my GP suggested would be ok.
  • Hungrygirl88
    Options
    I don't think I will, I will want to lift weights seriously when I reach my goal weight.
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yup. Kept dropping my goal weight, never happy with what I saw in the mirror. Now I've given myself a weight window and a minimum weight. If I'm not happy with my body I'll just have to start building more muscle instead. =)
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    6'3'' - 242 lbs at start - had a goal of 205 lbs - reached that in 5 months - lowered goal to 192 lbs - 1.5 pds away from final goal.

Looked in the mirror at # 205 - knew I needed to lose a few more pds.

No one told me I needed to lose more - made the decision myself.

Total loss will be 50 pds in 52 weeks, 3 weeks to go !
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I started at 186 lbs with a goal of 140lbs, now i'm at 145 I can see that I have another 10lbs to be the shape I want to be so I've moved my goal to 135lbs
  • seed_of_wonder
    seed_of_wonder Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    my original goal weight was 135 but now im at 138 and know im not going to be satisfied at 135.
    new goal is 125