Weak legs?

Options
Is it normal to just have really weak legs? For example, it is CRAZY HARD IF NOT NEAR IMPOSSIBLE for me to do things like: donkey kicks, squat jumps, high knees, and stuff like that. Here is one day of the program I have been doing, and some of the exercises are just so hard for me, like four square, my legs just literally give way no matter how hard I try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qiGolF8Vs8&list=PL4DB8CE095CFBA3C8&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Does anyone else have this problem? I have been doing this program (not just this video, but the ones they assign) for almost three months now, and am hardly noticing any difference in my weak legs. THey maybe look just a LITTLE BIT toned, but still flabby. Any ideas???

Replies

• Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    PS I am 18 years old female 5'7" 127 pounds. My legs are 22 inches around if that helps...
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Dude, you're just weak from eating under. If you go up to maintenance, your workouts will improve dramatically within 2 days.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Could be a form issue as well. Squat jumps gave me no end of trouble, but I got my actual squat form down, now I do squat jumps with 135lbs on my back.

You'll get there, if you don't have to fight your center of gravity as much.

any chance you couldu pload a video of YOUR form?

A lot of issue can come from not sitting back at the bottom, or hitting the hamstring stretch reflex.
  • Pandasarecool
    Options
    Could be a form issue as well. Squat jumps gave me no end of trouble, but I got my actual squat form down, now I do squat jumps with 135lbs on my back.

You'll get there, if you don't have to fight your center of gravity as much.

any chance you couldu pload a video of YOUR form?

A lot of issue can come from not sitting back at the bottom, or hitting the hamstring stretch reflex.

I actually have pretty good form on squats, its just things where I have to jump.
  • Pandasarecool
    Options
    Dude, you're just weak from eating under. If you go up to maintenance, your workouts will improve dramatically within 2 days.

Isn't 1200 calories maintenance???
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    no, 1200 isn't.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

use this tool to figure out how your bmr, eat above it at least.

btw I love doctor who. :)
  • Pandasarecool
    Options
    no, 1200 isn't.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

use this tool to figure out how your bmr, eat above it at least.

btw I love doctor who. :)

Thanks! (Oh, and aren't bow ties cool!?!?:tongue: )
  • Pandasarecool
    Options

So, you think if I up to 1400, in two days time I should be able to do all the exercises, and not feel my legs give way from under me?
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If you think your legs ae weak why not try doing something that would really strengthen them like weighted barbell back squats.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    If you think your legs ae weak why not try doing something that would really strengthen them like weighted barbell back squats.

This plus eating more.....
  • Pandasarecool
    Options

I don't have access to the equipment, plus I was kind of asking if it really is my legs, or I am just not pushing hard enough...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

I don't have access to the equipment, plus I was kind of asking if it really is my legs, or I am just not pushing hard enough...

you are probably not eating enough, there for you are tired. as far as your leg strength, well, that build over time. nobody starts off doing tons of exercises and repetitions, but little by little we get good at it.

i think when i first did a burpee, i could do five in a row before needing a break. now i can do about 20. it builds up, little by little.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

So, you think if I up to 1400, in two days time I should be able to do all the exercises, and not feel my legs give way from under me?

You need to seek professional help as has been mentioned in all your other threads,
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You are not eating enough.
  • ShaeLovelyy
    Options
    I cant compare because my legs are so strong i could probably kill someone just by squeezing them..im totally serious tho lmao..but i have weak arms! just keep working out! you got this!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    eat more food, for serious... you're maintenance is more than likely more than twice what you're currently eating..
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it is possible, but it's not that likely. The legs and upper thighs have the biggest and strongest muscles in the body in them. Also, you're young and in your physical prime.

Unless you've had some kind of injury, your weakness is probably due to the fact that you're eating around 1100-1200 calories a day and trying to exercise. When I was 18 and on the X country team I was eating around 2500 per day and I could lose if I cut it to 2000. I wouldn't eat quite as much now because a) I'm not 18 and b) I'm not on the X country team, but you could and should eat more if you want to feel stronger.

And the changes probably wouldn't happen in two days. It might take time.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options

For your height and weight and activity level ( about the same as mine) I would up to 1800 to 2000 to have enough energy to work out. Seriously, I cut my calories down around 1400 for two weeks and my workouts were horrible! My regular workout buddies were like... what's wrong with you? are you okay? I was doing worse than the out of shape newbies.

I'm back at around 2000 and I'm killing it again. You are younger than I am, so it is probably even a higher for you (easily over 2000), but yeah, get up as close to 1800 - 2000 as you can, and I think you'll feel the difference pretty quickly. You need to get back up to maintenance anyways.
  • Pandasarecool
    Options

For your height and weight and activity level ( about the same as mine) I would up to 1800 to 2000 to have enough energy to work out. Seriously, I cut my calories down around 1400 for two weeks and my workouts were horrible! My regular workout buddies were like... what's wrong with you? are you okay? I was doing worse than the out of shape newbies.

I'm back at around 2000 and I'm killing it again. You are younger than I am, so it is probably even a higher for you (easily over 2000), but yeah, get up as close to 1800 - 2000 as you can, and I think you'll feel the difference pretty quickly. You need to get back up to maintenance anyways.

Isn't 2000 calories a little high? I am not really super active outside of my workouts, I am a student, so not a lot of running around...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Isn't 2000 calories a little high? I am not really super active outside of my workouts, I am a student, so not a lot of running around...

I am a 45 year old woman with a desk job who does no cardio - I lose on 2,000 calories.