FitBit or BodyFit Media?

Which is the best one to buy? I've noticed with the BFM you have to be subscribed to the website so it's ongoing payments. So I'm leaning towards the FitBit more. Thoughts?

Replies

• sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member
    *Body Media Fit
  • sazroy
    bump
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    never tried bfm ,bought a fit bit 8 months ago,motivates me to move my @ss ,love it
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Overall for myself Fitbit is much better value. I tried BMF and not only was it not as accurate as claimed, I found their CS rather arrogant. Fitbit's CS has been outstanding.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Well, Fitbit is a fancy pedometer, but you don't have to pay a subscription to use it. I don't know much about the BFM, but I think it does more tracking than just steps.
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    I don't know about BFM but I have a fitbit I am quite happy with. It is easy to use and customer service is great if you ever need them.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    There's at least one really good thread on here where someone who owned both fitbit and bmf took the time to write up a detailed comparison. For myself, I spent a lot of time reading reviews and looking at what friends on here who owned each device had to say about them, and decided on the BodyMedia FIT Link. I've found it very helpful and seems to be pretty accurate for me. The monthly fee isn't unreasonable, imo, but it's understandably a deal-breaker for some. A guy in my office just got a different device - jawbone - that is a wristband instead of an arm band, which I think is a better idea. I haven't had a chance to hear his opinion of it yet though because he got it the day before I went on vacation. Anyway, that's another one you might want to look at.
  • sazroy
    Can anyone suggest other devices. Just done more research and FitBit doesn't seem to be what I'm after. I want to track my calories all day long - my exact calories, not an estimate based on how many steps I've done. I want something that will record my heartrate during all activities. So something that can help me correctly determine my BMR and my TDEE. So I can track calories burned during a weights session as well.

I want something that shows me exactly what I burn on a daily basis so then I can work out my calorie intake from there.
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Can anyone suggest other devices. Just done more research and FitBit doesn't seem to be what I'm after. I want to track my calories all day long - my exact calories, not an estimate based on how many steps I've done. I want something that will record my heartrate during all activities. So something that can help me correctly determine my BMR and my TDEE. So I can track calories burned during a weights session as well.

I want something that shows me exactly what I burn on a daily basis so then I can work out my calorie intake from there.
    fit bit does track your calories that you burn through the day
  • sazroy

From what I gather that it's only determining that by the steps I do?
  • sed1217
    sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
    I think you're looking for a heart rate monitor.
  • sazroy
    I think you're looking for a heart rate monitor.

I've also read HRM aren't well designed for all day use.
  • sazroy

From what I gather that it's only determining that by the steps I do?

I want to make sure the the FitBit picks up on everything I do. As in, I'm a checkout operator, I may not do many steps, but I'm twisting a lot and lifting and bending which will burn more cals than standing completely still, will the fitbit detect this? Also will the fit bit be able to tell what calories I'm buring on exercise equipment such as a Elliptical? How will it tell the different between 15 minutes of walking and 15 minutes on the cross trainer.
  • es2189
    es2189 Posts: 142 Member
    While it doesn't track your heart rate, and I do wish it did, I think the BMF is exactly what you're looking for. I know that it has 4 other means of measuring calorie burn and it works no matter what you're doing - weight lifting, walking to the store, sleeping, whatever.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    I like my FitBit so much I bought their over priced scale (just because of the wifi enabled coolness factor LOL).

Seriously, the FitBit has worked great for me, and no subscription fee.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Don't think what you are looking for has been invented yet. I've done lots of research and people above have said it all.

Fitbit for everyday steps with HRM for exercise or BMF for all day and exercise. These are the best compromises vice read armband ones pick up too much arm movement. Think Jawbone Up have just released a new one but don't know about that.

There is also the self contained STRIIV smart pedometer or the STRIIV Play plus app or just the STRIIV app.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Ps. I think we're all looking for what you want but unfortunately there are always compromises with anything in the market at the moment.
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    I've had a fitbit for a year. Its pretty good at picking up all sorts of activity. For example, doing the ironing and folding the laundry will register as much more than lying on the sofa. And its relatively cheap. The fitbit tracks, steps, calories burned, floors climbed (on the dearer model). Its good. I like it.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    I bought my FB off the back of joining this site, and it was really only to see what additional calories I was burning over and above the training I do.

I didn't need to"invest" in its premium service - and it is just one tool in my armoury to achieve my goals (weight, and fitness combined).

It sounds like you are quite serious about being as accurate as possible - and I think maybe the next logical thing for you to research is a Heart Rate Monitor.
    I just spent a weekend dropping clangingly heavy hints to my mother that a HRM would make a FABULOUS Christmas present.

Hope you find something that helps you on your way.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    I have both a Fitbit and BMF and the Fitbit underestimates and I think the BMF is really right now that I have started using it as a base for how much I eat. I have upped my calories and have finally broken a long plateau by doing so.