Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Got any Winter Squash Recipes/Ideas? :)

Hearts_2015
Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
I've got butternut squash & acorn squash galore and would love a variety of ideas on how to use it. I've done some Googling but thought I'd check in with you all as well, to see what your favorites are!

Thanks!:wink:

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Squash is my FAVE! Roasted, it make incredible burrito filling, it's great in indian curries, added to chili, or just on it's own.

I just made a red lentil and buttercup squash soup last weekend, recipe here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/meagalayne/view/foodie-stuff-red-lentil-and-squash-soup-with-a-twist-447627

Another favourite way to have buttercup squash is to soften it in the microwave for 5 minute, cut it open and clean out the inside, and then slice it into 8 wedges and top with some curry paste (and added water to make it spreadable), bake in the oven at 425F until it's soft. It's so flavourful and a lovely healthy snack. 2 Tbsp of Patak's curry paste + water will do a whole squash.

Acorn squash isn't my thing, really, but it makes a great "stuffed squash" base. Loads of recipes online or just search the threads here. Good luck!
  • Butternut squash, lentil, leek and serrano ham stew. (serves 6)

Cup raw red lentils
    4 carrots diced
    2 leeks chopped
    1 butternut squash peeled and chopped into cubes
    1 tomato diced
    1 pack serrano ham
    2 cloves garlic
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 chicken stock cube
    4 sprigs thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
    10 basil leaves chopped
    squeeze lemon juice
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 litre water (approx)

Put all ingredients except ham, seasoning, oil and garlic into pan with water. Bring to boil and simmer for approx 25 mins till soft (uncovered - add more water if necessary)
    Towards end of cooking time fry chopped serrano ham and crushed garlic in olive oil for a few mins then add to stew. Season to taste and simmer for a few minutes till quite thick. Add squeeze lemon juice and serve.

Delicious, healthy and very satisfying, 277 cals approx per serving
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    thank you so much for sharing!!:wink:
  • butternut squash soup! So good in the winter!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I did my best to duplicate a butternut squash side dish I had at a favorite restaurant last week. It came out great!

1 butternut squash, peeled & diced, 1 & 1/2 portabella mushrooms, diced (the big ones, I used what I had in the fridge, but any mushrooms will do :tongue:), raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas), a couple of handfuls - I didn't measure. Toss it all with some olive oil and.or melted butter (or coconut oil might be good too!), some salt & pepper, and smoked paprika. Roast it in a single layer on a cookie sheet at 350º, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender and sweet, at least 30 minutes.

It was fabulous, and I served it with baked tilapia and brown rice. I ended up mixing the squash into the brown rice on my plate, and saved the leftovers that way too - very tasty together!
  • For acorn squash I love this recipe for Twice Baked Squash. It's more of a breakfast/dessert to me though with all the sweetness, but it's so good!

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1750,150166-249199,00.html

Enjoy!

jo
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/01/warm-butternut-squash-and-chickpea-salad/

That is my absolute favorite way to eat butternut squash, kabocha or pumpkin. It could eat it all day. I halve the dressing and further reduce the oil to reduce fat. I have made it with the tahini, and also subbed in almond butter and both were delicious.
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Roast buttneut squash with pears or apples (tossed with olive oil and seasoned with curry powder)

Or try adding roasted, cubed squash to an arugula salad with a vinaigrette and dried cherries. Both are very tasty.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    If it was spaghetti squash I would say spaghetti squash pad thai. I just finished making it for dinner.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    roasted is best! it gets all caramelized... mmm yummy

or in soup I looOoOove soup!!
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    I've got butternut squash & acorn squash galore and would love a variety of ideas on how to use it. I've done some Googling but thought I'd check in with you all as well, to see what your favorites are!

Thanks!:wink:

If it was me, I'd put it in a catapult or trebuchet and throw it as far as possible... :laugh:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    I like it just cubed and roasted. Toss with either some spices or some cinnamon & brown sugar.

I love love love this butternut squash soup: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/winter-squash-soup-recipe/index.html

I'm going to try this recipe tonight: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/penne-with-butternut-squash-and-goat-cheese-recipe/index.html

I just tried spaghetti squash last night and it was delish! Just cut in half length-wise and microwave covered for 8 1/2 mins. Scrape out with fork and toss with your fave sauce.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    I just roasted cubed buttercup squash tonight in the oven while I was making dinner. Going to either toss it into a curry or make a soup. Great inspiration - Thanks!

Oh - And check out this recipe idea for something a little different:
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2007/11/roasted-butternut-squash-recipe-with.html

I like my squash plain but it never hurts to spice things up :wink: