Best fitness tool/HRM?

Options
Hi guys, I am looking for a heart rate monitor/a Fitbit-like tool. I want something around $100 or less with no subscription that semi-accurately logs calories out. I would really like if the software was compatible with MFP, too, so I don't have to log calories on two websites. I want to be able to wear it all day, but I hear most heart rate monitors are not accurate that way.

The thing is that I love the idea of the Fitbit, but I think that it is unacceptable that it has issues counting steps when you are in a car or are on public transit, and you can't turn the thing off, so you have to bother with adjusting activity online. I also hear that it falls out and the clasp breaks a lot. I really liked the sleep monitoring idea, though.

Any advice? What is working for you? Thanks :)

Replies

• JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7, but it is only good for exercise, as you already know. The librarian at my school got a fitbit a few months back, I need to ask her how she likes it...
  • BrookeBQ
    BrookeBQ Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7, but it is only good for exercise, as you already know. The librarian at my school got a fitbit a few months back, I need to ask her how she likes it...
    Thanks for commenting, I do hear that the Polar FT7 is very nice.

Does anyone know if the Fitbit Zip is any good?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The best fitness tool is a stopwatch. The second best fitness tool is a notepad to track your progress. HRM type devices used to count calories burned would be about the 87th best fitness tool and a total waste of $100.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    The best fitness tool is a stopwatch. The second best fitness tool is a notepad to track your progress. HRM type devices used to count calories burned would be about the 87th best fitness tool and a total waste of $100.

^^^ false, this is a great tool. I'm researching whick one to get right now too
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There's really no need to track every moment of the day. Online calculators are close enough for most people to judge their BMR/TDEE. If you need to track to search for more calories to claim for exercise then you need to do more dedicated exercise. A Polar HRM for actual exercise is a good investment if you intend to eat exercise calories back because most people over estimate exercise and under estimate food.