Vegetarianism and Vegan

Hi Everyone!!

I recently transitioned to vegetarianism and I was wondering if I could get any advice about foods items rich in protein or any advice in general. I really want to stick with this lifestyle change and I just want to go about doing it in a healthy way. Im really trying to stay away from junk food and sweets and its very hard lol. My main goal is to become a vegan in the near future

Thanks so much

"Add me"

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    I'm a veggie was tend to still eat like a meat eater. In other words I eat a lot of meat substitutes like soya sausages or quirn burgers. I'd be interested in the replies as I know I could get mired variety if I are more nuts and beans.
  • xTyraLove
    xTyraLove Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks my going to have to try out those burgers and sausages. Tried veggie burgers but i guess I have to get use to the taste of veggie burgers initially i didn't like them.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    I don't like the taste of most meat. Tend to eat beans, eggs, cheese for my protein. Not much of a cooker so dunno if looking at my diary would be much help. There are some great recipe sites on line. Clean Living has a lot of recipes and Vegetarian times( not sure bout the second one).

There are a lot of vegetarians on MFP. A search might help you with recipe ideas.

C
  • sugarbomb83
    sugarbomb83 Posts: 67 Member
    Vegetarian here :=)
    I love being a vegetarian. I never feel deprived of anything. I recommend taking a multivitamin. Some of my favorite things:
    Eggs with avocado and salsa
    Tofu Chili
    Spaghetti squash with olive oil and feta cheese
    Tofu chicken nuggets (easy dinner)
    Quorn brand "chicken" with gruyere cheese
    Spaghetti with meatless meatballs
    Salmon is my typical choice when eating out. I absolutely love salmon!
    Peanut butter - unsalted
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    My staples:

Eggs.
    Greek yogurt.
    Cottage cheese.
    Peanut butter.
    Chocolate almond milk.
    Black beans.
  • I am a vegetarian also! Just be careful of too much soy, they can sometimes have alot of pesticides in them. Also, experiment with many different veggies. I love butternut squash, portabello mushrooms, spinach, asparagus with whole grain pasta with melted mozeralla!!! Yum! I could never be a vegan....too hard and I love dairy. You need at least 45 grams of protein a day and adding a multivitamin is a great idea. Other sources of protein- legumes, yogurt, low fat cheese, nuts, eggs, and I use a pita bread with up to 6 grams of protein.
  • try indian food :)
  • jaz050465
    Vegetarian here :=)
    I love being a vegetarian. I never feel deprived of anything. I recommend taking a multivitamin. Some of my favorite things:
    Eggs with avocado and salsa
    Tofu Chili
    Spaghetti squash with olive oil and feta cheese
    Tofu chicken nuggets (easy dinner)
    Quorn brand "chicken" with gruyere cheese
    Spaghetti with meatless meatballs
    Salmon is my typical choice when eating out. I absolutely love salmon!
    Peanut butter - unsalted

Hate to be picky but you're not a vegetarian if you eat fish. It drives me nuts when I say I'm a veggie and people ask if I eat fish!!!!! VEGETARIANS DO NOT EAT FISH!!!! if you do, you are NOT. A vegetarian!!!!
  • jaz050465
    From the North American vegetarian society website :

Vegetarians are people who abstain from eating all animal flesh including meat, poultry, fish and other sea animals. An ovo-vegetarian includes eggs, a lacto-vegetarian includes dairy products, and an ovo-lacto vegetarian includes both eggs and dairy products. A total vegetarian (vegan) consumes no animal products at all.
  • ToniTime2012
    ToniTime2012 Posts: 15 Member
    I'm not a vegetarian but I do not eat any sort of meat - only a few types of fish.
    Tacos with Veggie Crumbles
    Vegan Boca Burgers
    Seitan - I get this from a health food store. It's in a package and already cut. I made a marsala dish with this and it was great.
    Vegetarian Broth
    Tofu - Stir fry and instead of rice I use a package of Slaw and leave it uncooked.
    Whole Wheat Pasta
    Amy's canned soups. The lentil soup is a good source of protein.
    Quinoa
    Brown Rice
    CousCous
    Taboule
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    This thread makes me so sad. :(
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Why does this thread make you sad?

Lentils are a vegetarian's best friend. When you sprout them, they apparently contain all essential amino acids, but I have not verified that.
    Also make sure you take vit B12 every day!