Friends with open diaries

Options
I have an amazing group of friends on here already, but I am looking for more.

I am looking for supportive encouraging friends. I'm not always the cleanest eater but I do try to make healthy choices. I also am a believer that calories should really be looked at over a course of a week, not a day. Meaning, one day you might be really over but the next you could be under, but you should eat if you are hungry or not eat if you aren't. With that being said, I won't be okay supporting someone who always eats way under goal, that just isn't healthy. I do have days that I want to be lazy and so far it hasn't hindered my weight loss goals, but if I am on day two or three of not doing anything - I want someone to hold me accountable for that. And basically to tell me to get my butt out for a walk or something, even if it's small.

I also have my food diary open to friends - I think that is the best way to be supportive to each other. I have a hard time supporting ones who have a closed diary because I don't really know what I am encouraging you to do. For that reason, if you don't have an open diary I will not add you. Nothing against your decision to keep it closed, but, for me it is better for my friends to have open diaries.

The last week has been tough for me. I was over a few days and haven't MOVED in a week. Tomorrow is a new start for me. Heading into the holiday season and I am needing and wanting this now more than ever.

I look at my friends on here as real people and I am encouraging and also willing to listen. It isn't always easy to get up and go for a walk or a run, and I understand that, but we also know sometimes you need a little extra push to get moving or to make the right decision on foods. I want to be that support to you.

Replies

• stacybrs
    Options
    I'll definitely add you! I try to be really encouraging and supportive to everyone and keep it positive, because that's what I know I need and will motivate me. I'm not going to be really critical, but encouraging definitely! I really think that the more supportive people you have added, the easier it will be to lose the weight :)

You basically stated my thoughts, so if anyone else on here has an open diary and is encouraging and supportive and wants to add me, please do!
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hi! You can feel free to add me. My diary is always open, and although I do consistently stay under my calorie goal, it's only due to working out, and only by 100 or so. I also talk a lot, seeing as MFP is kinda like my facebook. I make a lot of my own foods, so if you'd like to share recipes, that would be awesome!
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I often use MFP as facebook, too.

I should say too that I don't typically eat back my exercise calories. I mostly use them as a safety net, if I am hungry, I will eat them, but I'm not going to eat them if I'm not hungry.
  • djc315
    Options
    I'll definitely add you! I try to be really encouraging and supportive to everyone and keep it positive, because that's what I know I need and will motivate me. I'm not going to be really critical, but encouraging definitely! I really think that the more supportive people you have added, the easier it will be to lose the weight :)

You basically stated my thoughts, so if anyone else on here has an open diary and is encouraging and supportive and wants to add me, please do!

I agree! I really try not to be critical, that doesn't work with me, either.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Just sent you a friend request. I'm loving the accountability of the open diary and knowing there are people who will see it and believe in me! Have made the occasional poor eating choices the last few days, but this is a learning process for me and I've only been at this two-ish weeks.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Mine is open and I need all the help I can get. Sending you a FR.
  • djc315
    Options
    Just sent you a friend request. I'm loving the accountability of the open diary and knowing there are people who will see it and believe in me! Have made the occasional poor eating choices the last few days, but this is a learning process for me and I've only been at this two-ish weeks.

No one can ALWAYS make the perfect choice when it comes to eating. I'm not going to jump down your throat and ask you if you should have eaten that. If you log it and admit to it, you are only helping yourself learn what is good and what is bad. Sometimes I don't realize something is so loaded in calories or sodium or whatever until I log it. And plus, I like being able to look back and say Oh. I didn't lose as much as I thought because of this or that. I'm starting to log before if I am going out to eat but I'm still learning, too.
  • djc315
    Options
    Just going to bump this since I posted it during a slow time of night....