Couch to 5k!

Options

Replies

• Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    The most important think I learned was to land on the midfoot and not the heel. Here is a good video that explains the basics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Fl9t3FVis

Someone else mentioned good shoes. I agree. Consider the minimalist styles too as you look at the options. I started with VFFs and now run on Merrell Trail Gloves. These types of shoes changed running from misery to enjoyable for me.
    I disagree. I don't think transitioning to minimalist-style shoes is good advice for someone over 300 lbs.
    I suggested watching the video and learning a midfoot strike. This is good advice for any runner, regardless of weight. Landing on the heel is bad for all of the joints - from ankle to knee to hip, and also tough on the lower back and shins. I don't think you meant to disagree with this advice.

On the shoes, I'm not sure. My starting weight (when i began to run) was under 200lbs. I think it would be smart to look at minimalist shoes and see how they feel, but also listen to the advice of knowledgable people at a good running store. Conventional shoes overly cushion the heel and enable you to run with poor form, whereas the minimalist shoes more or less force you into a midfoot running strike. There are lots of in between styles which also may be the answer.

Running properly is extremely important especially for beginning heavy weight runners to avoid injury to knees and shins which can sideline a new runner in a hurry!

Great job on the half marathon! I just did an 8k and now begining training for a half in the spring.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I will echo..."Do not skip any rest days!" Being able to run for 2 minutes solid already is awesome. I couldn't run for a minute when I began the program. I always ran a slow pace through the whole program and ended up running my first 5K last month with a finishing time of 35:03.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Feel free if you want to add me. I'm starting it myself today! :D Well, kinda... I did the first day last week, but I missed two running spurts towards the end.
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it, and DO NOT stress about staying EXACT with the program. I'm still on Week 7 Day 2, but started back in May. SO happy that I did! Friends welcome!
  • Hackett_l
    Options
    My cousin just competed in a half triathlon which she trained for for a year. Prior to that I don't even think she could run 2 minutes. That is a great start. Jut keep up what you are doing and add time as you can. You will eventually get there.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you can already run for two minutes then you're in a good position to start.
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    i just started getting in some running for the first time in 70 lbs & 25 years & for what its worth, each step I took felt like a piano landing on me.
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    GO slow. When I first started, I could barely handle the 60 sec intervals. Now, at a slow pace, I am on week 7 (25 min intervals). You can do it! Good luck!!
  • bipsqueen
    bipsqueen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hang tough! You can do it! I am 52 and made it through!
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Always include a warm up and cool down walk (about 10 minutes each when starting out) and make sure to stretch well when done. Google injury prevention stretches and make sure you do them every time!! This is the best part of the work out so don't skimp! Also, DO NOT SKIP REST DAYS!! others have said this, and I will reiterate. I am in a training program, and my coach just sent out information on rest days and sleep and how important it is for your body to recover. Have fun with it!!
  • bipsqueen
    bipsqueen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Also, a girl I know is doing this app, she's not necessarily moving the days along as the app does. She will do the same day over and over until she's comfortable with that particular piece of the program.
  • lrose50
    lrose50 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good for you - I weigh 160 and can't run because my knees bother me too much. Best advise - get the best running shoes you can afford. Not sure if you have a "running room" near you but they will fit your shoes and let you try them on a treadmill before you buy them. Good luck
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    i just started getting in some running for the first time in 70 lbs & 25 years & for what its worth, each step I took felt like a piano landing on me.

Maybe you shouldn't have stopped at all those "free bird seed" signs
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to get fitted for proper running shoes if you can, it really changed everything for me. That was my birthday present to myself!

I love C25K, though - you can already run for longer than I could when I started, and I got through the program just fine. Don't be afraid to repeat a week if it gives you a lot of trouble; I had to do that once and it really helped! Good luck!
  • tinytasha7
    tinytasha7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am starting the couch to 5k tomorrow, and was wondering if anyone had any good advice to give me? I'm 300 lbs, and not in great shape (obviously!) but not in terrible shape either. I can run for about 2 minutes right now before I need a walking break. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I'm starting tonight after work. I'm really excited to try this. That's kind of weird cause I'm historically a couch spud.
  • kaninasanders
    Options
    Good luck, good shoes and lots of stretching helps. The walk/jog alternating helps tremendously to get you there gradually and like other people have said, if you need to repeat a week, no big deal. Best of luck to you, it takes a lot of courage and strength to start a new program and stick with it, so you've already overcome the toughest hurdle!!!!!
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work! You've got this!
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Regarding shin and ankle pain -

I noticed that I had terrible pains as long as I ran on concrete. On a runner's advice, I started running on asphalt and rubber tracks instead which provide a little more cushion.
  • DrHeadBang
    DrHeadBang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest watching other runners to mimic their form. I tried C25K 2 years ago and quit because of shin splints and having to repeat weeks because of pain/laziness. BUT, when I started again a couple months ago I made sure to run the way the skinny people did: land on the ball of your foot, not the heel, keep your head up and shoulders back. I would always land heel first and that ended up being why my knees and shins hurt. And I used to look about a foot in front of me, which would make my back and sides ache. Now I look about 10-20 feet ahead. I also try to breath thru the nose and out the mouth, that stops the lungs from getting fatigued. I can run a mile easy now and don't use the program because I prefer listening to podcasts.
  • llgisme711
    Options
    Bump