Strength training and cardio

Options
Okay, I've seen lots of topics on the benefits of both of these, but I'm confused as to how to combine them in the most productive way.

Here's the deal:
Age 49 (well, in a couple of weeks, anyway)
Height: 5'7"
Starting weight: 295 (ish)
Current weight: 121 (ish)
Good health.

My goal:
Well, I've pretty much lost the weight, but I'd like to maintain that weight loss, firm any parts not yet completely firm (my body fat is about 16% according to the gym) and get stronger. I have to admit, though, that my biggest desire is to maintain the weight loss.

My current schedule:
On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I ride the stationary bike for 40 minutes and then do a 60-minute Pilates class.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I do strength training (set up for me by my gym), then try to add in a short jog in the evenings (usually 15-20 minutes/2-3 miles).
On Sat and Sun, I play it by ear (based on family schedules, etc.). This weekend, I managed to do the strength training both days, and my hubby wants to go for a jog later this evening.

My main question is whether or not I'm cancelling out any progress I could be making. Hubby (who has always been very, very fit and very health conscious) says the cardio and weights are probably working against one another and I'm just spinning my wheels trying to do both. I really like the running, biking (I do it outdoors in the nicer weather) and the Pilates class, but I know that weights are necessary to get stronger and more firm.

What should I be doing? Or am I doing it right now?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    That routine sounds fine to me for what you are trying to accomplish. While combining long bouts of cardio with strength training in the same day can be counterproductive if you're at a high level and serious about squeezing every bit of new muscle out of a workout, it's not as vital for someone just trying to lose weight and become healthy. And 15 or 20 minutes of cardio is not going to deplete your glycogen stores and force the above behavior.

So I would say continue with your current model, but don't stay on any one exercise type for too long. I.E. change up your cardio every six to 8 weeks so you don't develop muscle memory, which will reduce your calorie burn. And look for alternate ways to strength train muscle groups as well.
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations on your success. Your body fat is already incredibly low for a woman your age, so unless you want to bikini model, you are probably doing exactly what you need. Might want to look into HIIT cardio just as a way to shake things up, and you should consider taking a day or two off just to avoid injury, but you are doing great and should keep up what you can handle.
  • Hardbody9
    Options
    Amazing, great work!!!!
  • debi_f
    Options
    Thanks! I really want to make this change stick, though (and not burn me out), so I'm trying to mix it up to keep it interesting. The variety each week seems to be doing that for me, but I don't want to waste my time doing things that work against one another, either.

Glad to hear that what I'm doing will work long term!
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a pretty complete program to me. If anything, I'd say you're missing a rest day.

16% is a really low body fat for a woman. That's probably a number most women would kill for.

There's no such thing as one form of training "working against" another. It stems from a misunderstanding of what MBAs call "opportunity cost": the time/money spent doing one thing instead of another (seeing one movie on Friday night instead of another because you can't see both at once). Doing one simply means you can't do the other at the same time. It's usually part of a statement made by people who think you should do all weights or all cardio.

"Muscle memory" in this context is, I think, a concept made up by muscle and fitness magazines to sell you a new program each month. While it's true, your body needs about 6 to 8 weeks to adapt to a new workout routine, it has nothing to do with the number of calories you burn. Your heart rate may decrease doing the activity, but that means you have gotten fitter, and heart rate has little to do with how many calories you burn. Again, this comes from a misunderstanding of learning a new activity: your body does burn more calories when you are first learning to do something. Remember your first bench press, your first day on the elliptical, or your first day on rollerblades, how you could barely even do the activity? That extra calorie burn gone in the few weeks (basically, once you feel comfortable doing the motions) and never comes back.

The bigger point there is the difference between relative and absolute intensity. Relative intensity is measured pretty nicely with a heart monitor. It means what percentage of your threshold heart rate you are working at. Absolute intensity is a measure of your force output and speed, usually measured in miles per hour, watts, or feet per second. If you always run at 5 mph, you probably won't get fitter. If you always train at 90% of threshold, you probably will (your speed and heart rate at threshold improve, so you will be running faster as you get fitter).

If you really want to go wild, I recommend some research into periodization of training, a way of creating a constantly increasing program that will get you constantly fitter.
  • aramass
    aramass Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow. Your weightloss is fantastic.

I think what you are doing in the gym looks fine but you could use your time more effectively by maybe mixing things up. I do circuit training so I do an hours session where I mix lifting weights with some quite intense but short cardio ie 3 minute sprint on the treadmill/skipping/burpees/ plyometric jumps etc. I've loved this type of training. It's made a real difference to my fitness, shape and most importantly it's kept me engaged.

I can DM you a typical programme if you like otherwise there's lots of stuff online. I also really like and useJillian Michael's circuit training cards 'Hot bod in a box' . I make up my own routines using these cards.

I think lifting weights whilst your heart rate is up is so good for you. I also do interval training on the treadmill and will do short bursts of sprinting up hill.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Unless your goal is to reach the upper echelon of size or strength for women in your age group, cardio will not hinder your progress. It does sound like you are doing a bit more than you need and I recommend replacing one or two cardio days will additional strength days, but to each their own. Without knowing more specifically what your goals are or what your strength workout consists of its hard to say.

Note: if your bodyfat % is really the mid teens, then you are already at an extremely low bf% for a female of any age.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    First of all, You have done a fantastic job losing all that weight and you have picked a very healthy way of doing it. Congratulations!

What you are doing looks pretty good. I would probably reduce the steady state "Cardio" a little and substitute sprinting or some sort of HIT program. Don't just add it, make sure you substitute! Even though it will be difficult, you need to reassess your calorie intake. Now that you are at your goal weight and a very healthy fat%, it's time to look at maintenance. It will be scary to increase your calories but just do it a little at a time and see what happens. Make sure that your weight training program is very challenging. If you want to go for a run after strength training then you need to up the intensity. For the long term, strength training will give you the most bang for your buck but moving is also important.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    Congrats on your success! :) That's fantastic!!!!

I do a lot of running, and HIIT workouts with strength training, and I haven't lost any muscle mass, or experienced any set backs. It's all about what works for you, and your particular body type. I love running, and if you enjoy it I don't think you should give it up.
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    P90X!!!
  • debi_f
    Options
    Great suggestions! I'll look into the HIIT and a more cardio-based circuit training (right now, I start with the stationary bike, move onto weights, then cool down on the treadmill).

The idea of constantly increasing is good, too. I've been doing that with the biking levels and with the weights (adding when they start to feel "too easy" though that phrase doesn't quite make it, since it's not really "easy").

And P90X? Hmm. Not sure I'm ready for that one! ;-) (I still think I'm a bit of a wimp!)
  • debi_f
    Options
    I can DM you a typical programme if you like otherwise there's lots of stuff online. I also really like and useJillian Michael's circuit training cards 'Hot bod in a box' . I make up my own routines using these cards.

Can you send me the info? Thanks!