What should 2 people spend a week on groceries?

Options
13»

Replies

• alabella
    alabella Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    We spend £30 a week max, but right now it's closer to £20.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    So I have been trying to get a better hold on our budget, i thought it would help me to see what other couples (without kids) are spending on groceries per week. Not including household essentials like toilet paper, paper towels, soap....

I'd say try to stay under $200 a week.
  • PSMTD
    PSMTD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    We usually spend about $100-130 every 2 weeks.
    Tons of veggies, some fruits, milk, juices, meats, eggs, pretzels, hummus, lunch meat and cheeses.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I have 4 adults in my house -- myself, hubby, and 2 young adult sons. Most weeks, I spend around $160, with an occasional week where I spend $200. We eat a lot of meat and fresh produce. My mom, who lives alone, spend around $50 a week; she eats fish every week, as well as quite a few fresh foods. So, between $80 and $100 seems reasonable for a couple. One caveat -- with a family, the per person cost goes down because buying in bulk the unit cost is lower. If you overbuy as a couple or a single, you end up throwing stuff out. I almost never throw stuff out with the 3 guys in the house.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Oh man. We spend probably around $150/week for 2 of us. Maybe more. But $30-50 of that is probably wine, and we don't really eat out much. We mainly shop at TJ's and Whole Foods. If I'm going to spend money on anything, I think good food that I enjoy is an excellent thing to spend my money on. Pay your farmer or pay your doctor and all that.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    $50 a week, easily. I feel that we eat well. We don't specifically strive for "clean" or organic, but we don't buy much junk. We shop mostly at Aldi and the small ethnic/natural foods store, and we do buy frozen seafood but no beef/chicken/pork since my husband is pescetarian.

We go out to eat at least once per week, often twice but if so the second time is usually something like lunch at our favorite Mexican place which is around $4-6 per person.

One disclaimer though: I don't include any items like toilet paper, laundry detergent, HBA items, in that total. For us those things are less frequent, never purchased in the same places we buy grocery items, and we tend to stock up so maybe spend like $100-125 every 2 or 3 months and then don't shop for them again for quite awhile.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    We spend about $100-$125/week on groceries. That covers breakfast, lunch, and dinners plus snacks. We rarely eat out... Maybe once/month and that's usually a brunch or breakfast.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I would say we spend about $100/week... but that includes wine. We don't eat a lot of carbs... almost no processed foods... all lean meats, fresh produce... we eat seafood at least once each week which is of course very expensive and we only eat out about once/month.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just went shopping and spent $52 for the week. It's usually between $50-70, depending on if I buy meat, wine, extra treats. Bare bones, I can do $40 but that means a lot of bananas, rice and beans :D
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Aprox $200 a week.... Live in the Midwest/US

Cost of things are different in different areas - I'm in a pretty "average" area in the States.

This does not include "date nights" or holiday - eating out cost.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    It would depend on your area and cost of foods since it varies greaty.

For me and my husband we spend about $130-150/week on groceries:

farmers market- $60-$80 (veggies, fruits, cheese, eggs, pierogi, breads)
    grocery store $20-30 depending on what we are out of
    Meat farm comes to about $27/week, we have a 6mo share we pay for up front and get 15lbs of meat each month

we also eat out 1x a week
  • lalawaterlala
    lalawaterlala Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    me and my boyfriend who lives together probably spend about $70 on groceries per week. With that being said, we do occasionally eat out.
    From the grocery store we usually buy ingredients and end up making home-made meals. Being a student on a budget is hard work lol
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I spend $50-$60 just on myself. And I don't even buy everything organic. I'm working on paring down prices, though. It's hard on a fruit and veggie diet, at least around here. I need to go to the farmer's market now that so much is in season. It was even more expensive when I was on a low carb diet. Go figure, steak is expensive.