Shake Weight Review

Options
I am a sucker for all things infomercial. Today I was at Target and was lured into the Shake Weight. Just had my first workout and thought that I would share my experience.

First, do not do this workout if there is anyone in the room who might make fun of you. It looked like I was... well, you've see the commercial. I found it difficult to get the shaking movement down correctly and the thing kept wobbling around quite a lot. I think that the trick is to keep the length of your stroke (pause for laughter) to a minimum. The exercises were pretty simple but it did require some measure of coordination (which I lack). I do feel a burn in my shoulders and biceps, though I can't say it is any more than I would have gotten if I did a few sets with dumbells. On the plus side, I think that I was able to get the same burn in about half the time that it would have taken with regular weights.

I guess that my day 1 summary would be that it does seem to work and in less the time than regular dumbell exercises. However, if you don't want to part with your $20 you could get the same workout with bicep curls, shoulder presses, and tricep extensions.

I am going to keep it for a couple of weeks to see if I start seeing results but I am not throwing out my receipt. I will update, if anyone is interested.

Replies

• drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Yes... keep us posted... thank you.:bigsmile:
  • ErikaSudz
    Options
    HA HA HA HA Oh my gawd I totally needed that laugh....I have never seen the commercial so I had to go look it up. Lord have mercy that looks WRONG in so many different ways. My mind went to the gutter right away. Good luck with that, I don't think I could use it without laughing my butt off and most certainly not if my husband was home. He wouldn't let me live it down or he would offer something else I could do that to.

Erika:laugh:
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Thanks for the laughs!! The first time my husband and I saw this commercial, we thought it was a joke!! Keep us posted on how you do with the weight. I am curious if it really works or not because it seems fake!!
  • crazyassmomma
    Options
    very interested to know how it goes!!!!!
    i too am a sucker for infomercials.

hell, i own the contour ab belt. *sigh*
  • Buzzkitty1
    Options
    Haaaaa! I had to youtube it the first time I read about it here, as I'd not seen the informercial. I saw a clip from Ellen where she was using it. Absolutely hilarious.
    I think I'd be laughing way too hard to ever use it.
  • lynmayo
    lynmayo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well, day 5 of the shake weight and I have to say that I am glad that I kept the receipt.

You can feel a decent burn if you do the exercises for a few minutes but I can do regular dumbell exercises for a few minutes and get the same burn. I also prefer the flexibility of dumbells where you can really target a muscle as opposed to the shake weight, which only hits the muscles that you have to activate to keep the shake going.

Plus, I feel like an idiot when I use it.

I would recommend a pass on this one, mine is getting returned.
  • bstein09
    Options
    what is shake weight? i've never heard of it before.
  • lynmayo
    lynmayo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
  • kellycrow
    Options
    I am ashamed to say that I was also a sucker and purchased it at Target... I was not wise enough to save the receipt. My 11 yr old daughter actually talked me into it!
    Since we were all snowed in for nearly 2 weeks here, it did come in handy since my normal activity level was decreased (no classroom full of preschoolers to chase around!) My husband laughs very very hard every time I get it out. BUT, since I bought it, I feel I have to use it. My 11 year old uses it too... not sure what to think about that. The woman on the dvd looks disgustingly thing and odd, I must say. My 8 yr old twins say they want to use it too but they are too little and I am afraid they will bonk themselves on the head with it...
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    This is hysterical!! The commercial looks like something from Saturday Night Live! If they haven't done a parody of this yet, they had better! I'll stick with my beachbody workouts for sure!