Getting Bulky; Trying to lose 10 lbs on Grapefruit Diet

Options
13»

Replies

• Subowski
    Options
    Try switching grapefruit for pineapple. I read that pineapple represents "negative calories", meaning that you burn more calories than you take on board, just by eating it chopped into really small chunks. If you eat the chunks with a toothpick, and chew each chunk 100 times, you'll lose 20lbs in a DAY.

That's mastication for you.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT, Since the 1880's. You might not want to hear it but others reading this PUBLIC FORUM might get something out of what I have to say:

Diets I have tried and Yo-yo'd for 15 years, I probably missed some because I remember trying the grapefruit diet as well:

Low fat high carb, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Atkins, Organic, Weston Price Diet, The Schwarzbein Principle, Eat Fat Lose Fat, The Ultimate PH Solution, The Makers Diet, A friends diet from a personal trainer/dietician

I finally just got sick of it all and made up my own diet with healthy foods I enjoy and smaller portions. I ate my meals from small desert plates and bowls. I stopped eating in the evenings (not that when you eat matters.) I started calling what I did mini-meals and mini-fasts and I lost 40 lbs. Then I found Eat Stop Eat and learned why it worked and everything took off for me at that point.

Eat what you want, eat what you like, mostly healthy. Don’t deprive yourself of foods you love unless there is a serious health risk. Depriving yourself of food you love and creating extensive good food and bad food lists at some point borders on a mental disorder. It will drive you insane.

There is no mystery to weight loss, everyone thinks something is wrong, their metabolism is broken, they have low thyroid, they have menopause or whatever issue, they are as unique as a snowflake, whatever. I thought a lot of these things once too but once the doctor helped resolve the health issues for me I learned there is still no magic pill. Most people eat more than they need to and are not at good at estimating calories as they think they are. Most people have a lower BMR than they think they do. The only way to know for sure is to go to a lab and have it tested. It doesn't seem fair to have to eat less and feel a little hunger. It's hard to face the truth of it, very hard. It's not fun. It's drudgery at times. But if you learn to enjoy your smaller amounts of food (necessary to lose weight, since the reason we got fat in the first place was eating too much whether we knew it or not), and rejoice in your victories it can be done.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

For me now it's all about a calorie budget. It is sustainable. I had less of a budget available when I was losing weight, more to spend now that I'm maintaining and all the tools I used for weight loss come into play for the rest of my life maintaining.

When you have accumulated excess fat, you have accumulated a debt. It is hard to pay off the debt (you have less calories to spend). If you are sitting next to someone your same gender and height and they are not overweight and you are, they get to eat more than you (have more calories to spend) because they are debt free. You have less calories to spend because you are paying off your debt.

Wishing you the best! -Bobbie
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I didn't say I'm uninterested in hearing any opinions--- I asked for the "experts" to refrain from the usual lectures.

Who may these 'experts' be? Maybe you can name them so they know not to give you their well educated 'opinions'.

Oh, the post above me - great first couple of paragraphs - the rest, the usual copy paste.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Oh my.

Spoofy post title is serious.
  • jetscreaminagain
    Options
    ^^^^ And I said that because I have found that the best deterent to stupid behavior of any kind or extent is to have it highlighted by a disinterested outsider that it is, actually, worthy of ridicule. As evidence of this, I highlight for you the steep reduction in duckface profile pics even on facebook which has a constant infusion of dumb.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    So, you want opinions, but not facts.

Got it.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but this nonsense.

Also, your muscle 'gains' are water retention and swelling.

This... you wish you gained 10 lbs of muscle.

*edit was pbs to lbs (I obv started to write pounds and decided to abbreviate half way through! haha!)*
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    mal-what.gif

Cute ^^ lol
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    How about just go vegan for a bit: all fruits, vegs, legumes, quinoa, brown rice, etc. and be done with it? No processed anything, no added sugars, no bread for a bit. Why does it have to be a "special diet"?

Oh wait, I see what you did there. Forget what I just said, it is likely too reasonable. Yes! Live on grapefruit for two weeks! Sounds Great! :noway:
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    She already deactivated her account. Why in the world do people do this *kitten*?!
  • jetscreaminagain
    Options
    She already deactivated her account. Why in the world do people do this *kitten*?!

HA! I was right. Spoofy sounding title was NOT serious! It was a troll thread! ::hangs head in shame for momentary doubt leading to being sucked in::
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

HA! I was right. Spoofy sounding title was NOT serious! It was a troll thread! ::hangs head in shame for momentary doubt leading to being sucked in::
    I know, I know. But it was very well done. She had a few friends and everything. Even added a profile pic. *sigh*
  • Shyonenz
    Options
    mal-what.gif

I love this :)

Agreed with majority of above. I think it is sad that you ask for advice and contradict that by being ignorant and not listening to people who do know. Good luck with your journey but be careful of extremes.

LOL looks like I should have read the later threads about her leaving :P
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Having found Crossfit but knowing so little did seem rather weird...
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure OP was a troll. I could be wrong, but I have more faith in humanity than that.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    The responses in this thread are so full of win! You have all had me laughing out loud at my computer, especially with the funny pictures.

I have nothing to add myself, just wanted to say thanks for the giggles!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Is this the grapefruit enema cleanse? Did it work best on unpeeled fruit? You know, for the muscle?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    mal-what.gif

Totally worth reading for this alone.

Some good laughs in there too.

Why do the trolls always get so thick around here on the weekends? :drinker: