Are they right ???

2»

Replies

• HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Can't get blood taken without freaking out!, and thanks ino that I am sane and I'm not being silly I'm going to lose the next 7lb then stat strength training I'm stating 30ds tomorrow so hopefully get there soon x
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Do you know the best thing? Weight loss doesn't have to be permanent, so if you don't like how you look at your goal weight, you can always gain some back.

I know choosing a goal weight feels like a big deal, but it really doesn't have to be. You can stop and have a break if you like too. Keep going, if you like, and if someone comments, just tell them you're trying it out. They'll get used to the new you eventually and stop commenting anyway.

^^this is a good perspective.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Hey be my friend. My starting weight was 162. I am 5'7" and my goal is 148. I have been influenced by others to gain before too. We could support each other. In my aviator in about 156. I know that when I'm in the 140's I am very content and it just feels right. I'm 44 years old. There's no reason whatsoever that I need to be ten or twenty pounds heavier just be because I'm getting older and have kids! I need to be stronger and healthier than ever so that I can enjoy traveling and "dating" my hubby again now that my children are less dependent on us.
  • HotMummyMission
    I'm going to do this for myself like someone said I an always gain it would be fun puttin weight on on purpose ahha xx
  • wwmorrow
    wwmorrow Posts: 118 Member
    I wish someone would say I'm too skinny!!:laugh:
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    One, don't use BMI for anything except to wipe your *kitten*, it is a outdated, useless scale. Second, it is up to you. Do you feel healthy at your weight? What is your fitness level? Don't get to a certain target because others want you to, unless that is your doctor.
    [/quote

^^ this ^^

It's hard to tell from the one picture. That said, it looks like you could benefit from some strength training. I'd like to see some muscle definition. .. But, that's just me, looking at a "so so" picture. It really is all a out how you feel, and making sure losi g more doesn't become some sort of obsession
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Isn't amazing people are quick to tell us we are too skinny as we approach our goal weight? Why didn't they tell me when I was 45 pounds overweight to take the weight off? I think it is just as insulting when people tell me "you are too skinny" as it would be if they said "you are too fat".

Your body, your decision. See how you feel at 7 or 14 pounds lighter. Or somewhere in-between - I will say I got my target weight range (129-135) from a Doctor who specializes in performance arts. I am 5'8" and have long thin bones (wrist is 6", for example)...

Best wishes!
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    My family says the same thing, I am barely past the obese line... It's all up to what YOU want to be at.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    At 5'7 in the 160s you're no where near looking "sick" or "anorexic", it's pretty healthy and if you want to lose a few more pounds go ahead!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    All my friends an family are telling me not to lose anymore weight I am still 14lbs heavier tan I was before getting pregnant I am 161lbs 5 ft 7" . They are starting to make me feel asif I have a problem when I know I haven't looking at my picture what's your opinion I still think I need to lose the 14 lb maybe an extra 7lbs or do I have a problem

You healthy weight range is 5’7” 122 – 155 Lbs.

So it's totally up to YOU. YOU DECIDE. Don't let others decide what makes you happy. I had friends and family tell me the same thing. It's hard for them to get used to the new you, for some it is scary for them because they care about you and they see you different, for others it is because your change brings out insecurities in them.

After a year now people are used to me and most have seen how successful I am and they no longer make comments like that. But I had to FIGHT for what I wanted against everyone else telling me otherwise. Getting lean and fit in today's society is totally swimming against stream and it will take constant effort to get it and keep it for that very reason.

The bottom line is YOU OWN YOUR BODY, not them. You are the one who gets to decide what makes you the most happy. Fight for what you want and keep it.

-Best of luck to you! Bobbie
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    That depends...161 is still overweight for 5' 7" but not if you have alot of muscle...then 161 might be perfect.

You are a little over, but muscle does way a lot more than fat and I don't think any calculator can really add that in to give you an ideal weight.

If you feel you need to lose a couple more, try. If you realize you reach that goal and you need to keep going down, then maybe you should reevaluate. I know one of my biggest fears is not knowing when to stop and move to maintanence.
  • ManEnMotion
    ManEnMotion Posts: 73 Member
    Go see your doctor. Your friends might be concerned because you dropped the weight quickly.
  • HotMummyMission
    Thankyou guys I just got abit down with them telling me that an I d want to lose an extra 14lbs I do t want to be skinny I wanna still have a lil bit of junk in my trunk hehhe they were making me think like I was getting an eatin disorder and I started to beleive it and beleved I was thinking I was fat an I looked sickly thin like my mind was playing tricks n me hahah thanks for all your honest opinions I appciate them so much I wouldn't get we're I am an were I'm gonna be without you lot xxx
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    I am 5'7" and 161 is still too heavy for me. I'd like to be at around 145, but it all depends on my body comp. It's not about the scale, just bodyfat % or whatever makes me smile at my reflection.
  • HotMummyMission
    I am 5'7" and 161 is still too heavy for me. I'd like to be at around 145, but it all depends on my body comp. It's not about the scale, just bodyfat % or whatever makes me smile at my reflection.

When I was 147 I looked Sicily thin and I hated it so I don't want to go back to that I had no boobs or no bum and very very thin face and sticky out collar bones so that's why I want to be 154lb and see what I look like then my body's completely diffrent now iv had my daughter my belly is ruined xxx
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member

When I was 147 I looked Sicily thin and I hated it so I don't want to go back to that I had no boobs or no bum and very very thin face and sticky out collar bones so that's why I want to be 154lb and see what I look like then my body's completely diffrent now iv had my daughter my belly is ruined xxx

Heavy strength training will help you make sure you keep a nice firm bum and legs. It's not always about the number on the scale. Body composition (the amount of muscle and fat you are carrying proportional to your body weight and height), makes a huge difference.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    I say continue to work towards your goal in a healthy way and let your family know that it hurts your feelings when they say you look "sick". When people say things like that I wonder if they would tell an overweight person that they look "sick"? It's hurtful and works both ways and I don't think a lot of people see that.

I think you are aiming for a totally reasonable goal! Good luck :smile:
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    You look lovely! Your BMI may be overweight, but from your pictures you look pretty solid. If you'd like to lose more weight, I don't think it would be unhealthy to do so. I wouldn't worry about what your friends say.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    Just for comparison, I'm 5'11 and 147. I lift 4 days a week and do 2 days of cardio. I'm medium framed, hourglass shaped (34-27-38). I think if you are 161 and 5'7 you could afford to lose 10-20 pounds and not be "too thin". I've had some people make comments about my weight but once they got used to me being 40+ pounds less the comments stopped. They realized this was where I want to me. Since you don't lose weight for others, I think you need to find a weight YOU are happy with....
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Your best way to know is find out your body fat percentage. Then you could know if it's a good idea to work on lowering it, or not.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member

Just goes to show you how different we all can be. I used to weigh 138 and I was perfect, although could have used some weight training.
    And BTW, I'm sure you have a beautiful mommy body, not to worry about the tummy:)
  • I think pretty much anyone who loses a lot of weight will meet this along the way...Other people see you as getting skinny when you are really just getting healthy...I am 165cm and started getting told to "not lose any more weight" when I was around 75kilo's (down from 105kilos) and it rattled me for a little while too. You just have to switch off and keep going, family and friends get used to seeing you at your current (and shrinking) weight and cut it out, usually at some point they even chime in with a "Wow, you look great"

Keep going til you hit your happy place, it's your body so you worry about it and just nod gently when fam and friends comment but just let it slide right out the other side :) xx