Are they right ???

Options

Replies

• HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Just hitting a number (pre-preg weight) isn't what it's all about. How are your losing the weight?? What are you eating....Perhaps its about getting your muscle tone back and eating more healthy that they are not seeing?
    If, IF you are doing those things, then I would avoid broaching the topic with others and change the topic of conversation and know you're being healthy and doing what is right for you.

I am healthy and exercising they don't see nothing bu me I don't even speak about toit they just say it to me when I see them x
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Do what you feel is right for you, as long as it's a healthy goal, what others say doesn't matter.
  • HotMummyMission
    Options

I get this too and it sometimes hurts as much as knowing people think you're fat (even though they seem to keep quiet about that). Not sure why people feel it's ok to tell you you are too skinny, but say nothing when you are overweight. I get comments like "you're going to blow away", "enough already, what are you trying to do", "you really don't need to lose
    [/quote]

Iknow Hun it did upset me to here my nan say she worried about me I look sick ...I just wanna be healthy ans slim and look great most of all I am vain not going to lie I wanna do this to look great and if anybody eles says they don't there telling fibs ..so to be told I look sick is just the same as you look fat hahah x
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Your family sound like they have some weight/psychological issues of their own. Most people just don't understand how weight works. I am 5'8", and just finished a cut at 131 lbs. and most people think I am 150-160 at least, and say I look "huge" (which is a function of low body fat+reasonable amount of muscle). If I was pudgy and had no muscle at 160, the same people would say I was too skinny and had issues and should not lose any more weight (this happened all the time when I first started getting in shape, and I was definitely overweight).

Basically, 90% of the population are utterly clueless when it comes to fitness and health, and can be safely ignored. Eat a healthy diet and lift weights 3x per week and you will be fitter and healthier than 90% of people. As a woman, if you do this you don't need to worry about any health issues related to weight loss til you go under 18% body fat or so (for most women 18-22% or so is healthy... most fitness models you see are around 15%). The only real concern is if you go the excessive cardio+not enough protein route and burn through too much lean body mass.

The real question is how fit do you want to be? It only takes 2-3 hours of weights per week, and a consistent diet to get to virtually any reasonable level of fitness over time.

One more piece of advice: judge results by body composition, not weight. Body fat and lean body mass matter a lot more than weight. This is a major failing of many diets, as they overemphasize cardio and underemphasize protein. Losing 10 pounds of muscle and 5 pounds of fat is both bad aesthetically and from a health perspective. The obese can do just about anything and get good results in that regard, but once you are at a healthier weight, preservation of lean body mass becomes more important than rate of fat loss.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    No offense, but if you are the size you are in the pic and you are 161lb at 5 7" - you can definitely lose more weight if you want (you are at a healthy weight so it would be for personal ascetics).

If you do want to lose a bit more, I would suggest eating at a small calorie deficit (250 - 350) and strength train if you do not do so already.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You can definitely still lose weight and be healthy.

Also, yes, strength training will give you the best results.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I think you should set your own fitness and body goals, and then work towards them. Don't let other people's opinions about your body sway those goals. As long as you're shooting to be healthy and fit, I see no problem with losing another 20 lbs or so to reach your goals.

I think a lot of the time, people get used to seeing us one way (overweight or obese), and they have a hard time picturing us as a real healthy weight. They will come around in time. If some don't, then so what? In the end, it's your body and your life.
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    I say do what make you feel happy, but make sure you do it the healthy way.. It's your body, be happy with it..
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Do you know the best thing? Weight loss doesn't have to be permanent, so if you don't like how you look at your goal weight, you can always gain some back.

I know choosing a goal weight feels like a big deal, but it really doesn't have to be. You can stop and have a break if you like too. Keep going, if you like, and if someone comments, just tell them you're trying it out. They'll get used to the new you eventually and stop commenting anyway.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Go to your doctor, get blood work done and let HIM tell you what is a good and healthy weight for you and go by that.

Good luck! =)
  • HotMummyMission
    Options
    Can't get blood taken without freaking out!, and thanks ino that I am sane and I'm not being silly I'm going to lose the next 7lb then stat strength training I'm stating 30ds tomorrow so hopefully get there soon x
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do you know the best thing? Weight loss doesn't have to be permanent, so if you don't like how you look at your goal weight, you can always gain some back.

I know choosing a goal weight feels like a big deal, but it really doesn't have to be. You can stop and have a break if you like too. Keep going, if you like, and if someone comments, just tell them you're trying it out. They'll get used to the new you eventually and stop commenting anyway.

^^this is a good perspective.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Hey be my friend. My starting weight was 162. I am 5'7" and my goal is 148. I have been influenced by others to gain before too. We could support each other. In my aviator in about 156. I know that when I'm in the 140's I am very content and it just feels right. I'm 44 years old. There's no reason whatsoever that I need to be ten or twenty pounds heavier just be because I'm getting older and have kids! I need to be stronger and healthier than ever so that I can enjoy traveling and "dating" my hubby again now that my children are less dependent on us.
  • HotMummyMission
    Options
    I'm going to do this for myself like someone said I an always gain it would be fun puttin weight on on purpose ahha xx
  • wwmorrow
    wwmorrow Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I wish someone would say I'm too skinny!!:laugh:
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    One, don't use BMI for anything except to wipe your *kitten*, it is a outdated, useless scale. Second, it is up to you. Do you feel healthy at your weight? What is your fitness level? Don't get to a certain target because others want you to, unless that is your doctor.
    [/quote

^^ this ^^

It's hard to tell from the one picture. That said, it looks like you could benefit from some strength training. I'd like to see some muscle definition. .. But, that's just me, looking at a "so so" picture. It really is all a out how you feel, and making sure losi g more doesn't become some sort of obsession
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Isn't amazing people are quick to tell us we are too skinny as we approach our goal weight? Why didn't they tell me when I was 45 pounds overweight to take the weight off? I think it is just as insulting when people tell me "you are too skinny" as it would be if they said "you are too fat".

Your body, your decision. See how you feel at 7 or 14 pounds lighter. Or somewhere in-between - I will say I got my target weight range (129-135) from a Doctor who specializes in performance arts. I am 5'8" and have long thin bones (wrist is 6", for example)...

Best wishes!
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My family says the same thing, I am barely past the obese line... It's all up to what YOU want to be at.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    At 5'7 in the 160s you're no where near looking "sick" or "anorexic", it's pretty healthy and if you want to lose a few more pounds go ahead!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    All my friends an family are telling me not to lose anymore weight I am still 14lbs heavier tan I was before getting pregnant I am 161lbs 5 ft 7" . They are starting to make me feel asif I have a problem when I know I haven't looking at my picture what's your opinion I still think I need to lose the 14 lb maybe an extra 7lbs or do I have a problem

You healthy weight range is 5’7” 122 – 155 Lbs.

So it's totally up to YOU. YOU DECIDE. Don't let others decide what makes you happy. I had friends and family tell me the same thing. It's hard for them to get used to the new you, for some it is scary for them because they care about you and they see you different, for others it is because your change brings out insecurities in them.

After a year now people are used to me and most have seen how successful I am and they no longer make comments like that. But I had to FIGHT for what I wanted against everyone else telling me otherwise. Getting lean and fit in today's society is totally swimming against stream and it will take constant effort to get it and keep it for that very reason.

The bottom line is YOU OWN YOUR BODY, not them. You are the one who gets to decide what makes you the most happy. Fight for what you want and keep it.

-Best of luck to you! Bobbie