Minimalist running shoes

Options
I want to start running again and am thinking about getting a pair of minimalist running shoes. What brands would you recommend? Also, is it ok for someone with flat feet to use minimalist running shoes?

Replies

• HisEminence
    Options
    Check out Brooks with the 4mm lifted heel. I have flat feet and these running shoes are awesome! They are around $100.00 and they are not much to look at, but they are super comfortable.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Vibrams.... I own 2 pairs and will never run in anything else ever again.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Why do you want minimalist shoes? I'd go to a running store and let them analyze your gait. If you are flat footed you probably need shoes that provide you support. Be careful with picking your shoes or you could end up with injuries. Happened me a few years ago and it sucked!
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Why do you want minimalist shoes? I'd go to a running store and let them analyze your gait. If you are flat footed you probably need shoes that provide you support. Be careful with picking your shoes or you could end up with injuries. Happened me a few years ago and it sucked!

I would love to go to a running store, however there is not one even close to my area that does that!
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I am also flat footed and I use Asics GT-2170 (just switched to GT-2000 because they stopped making the 2170). For me being flat footed does mean some support because of over-pronation, but I can't do the amount of support they suggest, I end up hurting my knee. I agree with the person that suggested you go to a running store and have them evaluate you. I also had foot and ankle injuries from using the wrong shoes and it stinks. If you are just starting back, note that minimalist shoes will likely require you to change the way you normally run. If you go with them, you will need to start out really slow or you will end up in lots of pain. Your calves will be on fire. Not saying you shouldn't, but consider taking a form clinic or something as it's much different.
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have two pairs that i use.

For road running, i have a pair of Saucony Kinvara 3, they still have some padding but have a less than a 5mm drop. I have like to some padding for road running.

For Trail Running, i have a pair of Merrell Trail Glove Shoes. They are total minimalist shoes and good for running in the woods. Trail running is easier on your feet (No hard pavement)

I like both brands.

A good shoe is super important in running. The most important thing is your form. I want to stay injury free so i don't have ever have to stop running. :)
  • mgoetsch1982
    Options
    I was thinking about getting a pair of New Balance Minimus Zero (0mm heel drop) or Merrell Barefoot Run Pace Glove (0mm heel drop). Has anyone tried these shoes?
  • Excira
    Excira Posts: 21
    Options
    My favorite brand is New Balance. These allow your feet to expand correctly as your running so you don't end up with foot problems. Also, their inserts come out so you can buy any inserts that work for your feet and use those.
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I bought some cheap vivo barefoot shoes on Amazon, just to see if barefoot running worked for me before investing in some expensive vibrams, but I won't be replacing them until they're completely worn down - love them!
  • Carrotz5
    Carrotz5 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love my Saucony Mirage running shoes. If I'm not mistaken they have a 4mm drop. A previous poster was right about your calves being on fire the first few runs. You'll utilize different muscles because it will change the way you run. I switched to a minimalist shoe and have not regretted it. I also have a pair of Saucony Kinvara 2's. Love the shoe but unfortunately my feet are wide and they don't make a wide version.
  • Cebersail
    Options
    Because of a knee injury 20 years ago I stopped running. After desiring to run again, In my research, I came across the barefoot running paradigm. I decided to give it a try with the Vibram 5 fingers. I love them and my knee has held up quite well, but whoaa did my calves scream the first couple weeks! Now I wear them to the gym even for heavy weightlifting. I have been using them all summer and am totally sold on the barefoot argument. I used to run on my heels, now I run on the balls of my feet. It certainly allowed me to run again when I thought I never could. JUST START SLOW!
  • mgoetsch1982
    Options
    Thank you for all of your input! I am really looking forward to trying one of those two shoes I am looking at. After reading a bunch of the reviews for the Merrell shoe, I am leaning towards that one. The two shoes are about the same price so that isn't an issue.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of my new balance minimus.
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Which one will work best really depends on your feet. I love the Merrel trail gloves - I've been using them for road running for nearly 2 years and ran my first marathon in them a few months ago. I have the New Balance mInimus, but I didn't like them as much, and I found the toe box on the merrel minimalist road versions to be a little tight for me - if you have the opportunity try them on before buying. If not go through someone like Zappos so you can return them for free if they don't fit.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I hadn't run in awhile, so when I went back to it I went with a minimilist shoe as well, and have never been happier! You have to start out slowly in them and work your way up to running long distances in them or you can hurt yourself. I started out running with my daughters and we'd walk for 5mins, run for 2-4 and walk for a min over the course of 30mins and had no problems making the switch. A little soreness in the ankle/calf but I hadn't ran in about 2yrs. I love my Nike free runs. Just bought some new balance 1010 for trails. My hubby loves is merrells. There a barefoot road glove with a vibram sole. He's now looking into the brooks shoe pure cadence. Think while checking out minimilist shoes they just need to be comfortable when trying them on. Good luck on your search and hope you find a pair you like!
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Vibrams.... I own 2 pairs and will never run in anything else ever again.
    this
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I have New Balance Minimus Trails, and I wear them for pretty much everything...I especially love them for run/lift days :) If you go with the NBs order the wide width version.

I wear my Saucony Kinvaras for longer runs though as I enjoy the extra cushion from the pavement.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about getting a pair of New Balance Minimus Zero (0mm heel drop) or Merrell Barefoot Run Pace Glove (0mm heel drop). Has anyone tried these shoes?

I have both. Love both :tongue: I am a 'new runner', just started running in August but twisted my ankle badly (not running, stepped off the porch on a big rock in the dark.....duh) shortly after I started my version C25K...... My 'running' shoes to start with were a pair of Asics I had for a while and barely used (I always hated running, always had pain in my somewhat damaged knees, have asthma and I'm 51 now). So after my ankle was a bit better I tried again. Decided that the shoes and my approach were no good, tend to twist my ankle. I ended up doing the C25K, started it in the Merrells and did fine. Ran my first 5k at the end of week 5 of the C25K, still had a little swelling and pain in the ankle but NOT during running. Then alternated in both of the above shoes, finished C25K, ran another 5k Thanksgiving and now run 5k every other day. Signed up for another 5K 12/8, will try to train for 10k in the spring. Oh, BTW, I did buy the NB Minimus at a running store, have pretty high arches and when checked they felt it was a good shoe for me. No problems with shin splints, foot pain and the ankle is fine now. Don't know if this helps, just my experience with the shoes you asked about. I guess in a way it was easier for me to get into the minimalist shoe as I did not have to really get away from running with a more supportive shoe. I also run some trails but quite a bit on the road........
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Vibram 5 fingers are great, but it is absolutely vital to try them on in the store and ensure the right fit. I have some sitting in my closet that I purchased online and even though I measured my foot, they are slightly too big. This is extremely off putting when running. Currently saving for a store pair.

I also use Nike free run as an everyday walking/jogging shoe. They are fabulous, though not ideal for running long distance, they work well for shorter runs (around 5km). The only downside of these is that you get stones caught in the gaps on the sole when running on gravel. Otherwise they are brilliant :-)