Can you help me choose a protein bar?

Options
Have just decided to start having a protein bar post workout, and am trying to decide which one would be best.
I'm not the greatest at deiphering nutrition labels but have been warned to be careful not to just choose a glorified candy bar.
Have been browsing the website of the store where I buy my protein powder and come up with the following options:

Met-Rx Protein Plus Protein Bar
Calories: 300
Fat: 9g
-Saturated: 7g
Carbs: 31g
-Fiber: 1g
-Sugar: 3g
Protein: 32g

Proto Pure Protein Bar
Calories: 273
Fat: 6g
-Saturated: 4g
Carbs: 26g
-Fiber: 6g
-Sugar: 11g
Protein: 31g

Proto Pure Diet Bar
Calories: 186
Fat: 5g
-Saturated: 3g
Carbs: 14g
-Fiber: 8g
-Sugar: 5g
Protein: 21g

Oh Yeah! Protein Bar
Calories: 350
Fat: 13g
-Saturated: 5g
-Polyunsaturated: 2g
-Monosaturated: 3g
Carbs: 27g
-Fiber: 4g
-Sugar: 8g
Protein: 30g

Pure Protein Protein Bar
Calories: 180
Fat: 5g
-Saturated: 3g
Carbs: 17g
-Fiber: 2g
-Sugar: 2g
Protein: 20g

Power Bar Protein Plus
Calories: 190
Fat: 4g
-Saturated: 2g
Carbs: 19g
-Fiber: 6g
-Sugar: 19g (?)
Protein: 17g

They're all a similar price for the amount of protein you get, the ones around 20g slightly cheaper than 30g.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Shakes are better IMO, but I would make my own bars if I felt it necessary, I usually eat real food after working out.

My go to is a tuna salad sandwich which has around 25g of protein and around 350 calories.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think the best ones are made at home so you know what is going into them. Even more than the nutrition facts you posted, look at the ingredients. For example a lot of the low sugar bars are full of sugar alcohols, which aren't very good for you and upset a lot of people's stomachs. I also (TRY) not to eat things I can't pronounce.

Here are a few of my favorite bars I make:
    http://www.nomeatathlete.com/quinoa-protein-energy-bars/
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-carrot-cake-protein-bars.htm
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-chocolate-protein-bars.htm

They are seriously delicious and the first one is super versatile. Good luck!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Go for real food over a protein bar. That being said... I love them and eat them all the time because they are like candy... Pick one that has less artificial ingredients... like a cliff builder bar or a promax bar. The ones you listed are pretty much made out of plastic.
  • ManEnMotion
    ManEnMotion Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If I were to have a protein bar I would pick one with little or no carbs since I'm on a low carb/sugar diet/life style. Why do you want to take a protein bar?
  • ManEnMotion
    ManEnMotion Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Go for real food over a protein bar. That being said... I love them and eat them all the time because they are like candy... Pick one that has less artificial ingredients... like a cliff builder bar or a promax bar. The ones you listed are pretty much made out of plastic.

Yes ... Go natural.... Maybe have a couple on hand in case you're out hiking and miss a couple meals
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I like the Quest Bars.
  • ninjakowski
    Options
    Reason for going for a bar is I go to the gym right after work and then dont get home sometimes for an hour after finishing my workout - so shakes or protein rich meals immediately post workout are not always possible. I need something to fill that gap and obviously a bar is most convenient.

Have thought about making my own but don't have an oven atm, also not easy to find alot of 'health food' type ingredients where I live. Will need to look around for a recipe that works for me.

At the moment this is the only store near me that stocks protein bars so the brands I listed are my only choice right now. Can have a look for other options but I'm not in the US so don't have the same range.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Okay, so you're asking what's the best out of the ones listed? The nutrition is about the same, so I will let you know how they taste. I don't know Proto, but from the others worst to best:

MetRX bars - taste like soap, disgusting
    Pure Protien Bars - taste pretty good, nice and chewy, you can probably eat these for awhile before you get too sick of them
    OhYeah Bars - taste yummy the first few times you eat them. Most like a candy bar. I got sick of them pretty fast though, and I wouldn't be able to eat one every day.

I eat a lot of artificial sweeteners (I know it's bad for me), and the taste doesn't usually bother me, but you can REALLY taste it in these bars. If you can't handle the aftertaste of diet coke... this is ten times worse, and you will not be able to eat these.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    avoid the soy protein ones. Most are junk food.

Quest bars are OK, nutrition wise, but tend to taste like the bad.
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i would go with whichever tastes the nicest :)
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Quest apple pie. I keep them for when I get peckish on the road
  • heatherz104
    heatherz104 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I like the clif builder's bar in chocolate mint. And I like the zone perfect perfectly simple cranberry almond. Plus the regular clif bars that I've tried are pretty good. The clif builder's bar will probably keep you feeling full the longest, it has the most protein and calories though so go figure:) The ones I mentioned all have ingredients that I do not mind going in my diet on a regular basis. The zone perfect perfectly simple peanut crunch and toasted coconut also sound like they would be yummy but I haven't tried them yet.